How to choice bandsaw for my aluminium cutting?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to choice bandsaw for my aluminium cutting?

Hi guys,
    I have some aluminium bar to cut, my friend told me that I need buy a large metal cutting bandsaw like this:
    https://www.thegoldcnc.com/horizontal-metal-bandsaw/
    I think this "DOUBLE COLUMN HORIZONTAL BANDSAW" is too large for me, is there anyone give me some suggestion?
    What should I choose?
    What about this one on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/J-3130-2-Hors...zontal+bandsaw

Thanks

Vincent
    Attachment 1700651

Re: How to choice bandsaw for my aluminium cutting?

vincent-hua

Quote Originally Posted by vincent-hua View Post
    [Three minutes] - Is anybody here?
    Relax . . .

Dial Zero for the Operator - then report-back how long
    it took to speak to 'real person' . . .

Is your issue - the big project of the month - or do you
    have a five-year contract . . . ?

Opus

Is anybody here?
    Howdy

Hi guys,
    I have some aluminium bar to cut, my friend told me that I need buy a large metal cutting bandsaw like this:
    I think this "DOUBLE COLUMN HORIZONTAL BANDSAW" is too large for me, is there anyone give me some suggestion?
    What should I choose?
    What about this one on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/J-3130-2-Hors...zontal+bandsaw

Thanks

Vincent
    Attachment 1700651
    Those saws are from one extreme to the other. I would not buy either one. To help you we need more info. What sizes of aluminum are you cutting? will you be cutting a large volume on a continuous basis? do you need to cut angles on the ends often? What available power do you have? 3 phase 120v , 240v single phase? Do you really need a band saw to do what you need to do? Believe it or not but a miter saw with the right blade will cut aluminum all day long day after day with the correct blade in it.

To help you we need more info.
    Exactly...what size is that stock (diameter) and are you only cutting 90 degree angles or are you ever cutting miters?
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

More info would help. Nice made in USA saw is a ELLIS 1600 that should fill your needs or larger one.

Suspect a trolling spammer.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Hi guys,
    What should I choose?

Thanks

Vincent
    Attachment 1700651
    amazing amount of stuff cut with a wood or metal chop saw with circular blade made for aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Suspect a trolling spammer.
    Agreed!

The odds of someone with that amount of aluminum to cut, yet not having ANY idea what saw to use.....highly unlikely. However it wouldn't be the first time someone got in way over their head either!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    RogueFab Tubing bender
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Just about any bandsaw will cut 50 mm diameter. Its just a matter of finding one with the blade characteristics and longevity to suit your budget. If you are going to be doing a lot of these in a production environment, I would buy the largest saw you can afford. Make sure it has a coolant system and gang these pieces together so you can cut more than one at a time. Plus you will want some kind of feed table set up.
    Last edited by Louie1961; 08-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I can't help but to think you would be happier with some sort of dry cut chop saw .

I'll put that in the v-blocks on my Morse metal Devil and cut the whole bunch in 3 days,............easily
    With 100 tooth blade
    http://www.carbideprocessors.com/ten...t-non-ferrous/

If the uncut length is accurate, you may not get all three pieces cut out of it within the specified tolerance due to the saw kerf.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45

"No matter where you go, there you are" [Buckaroo Bonsai]

If it's one time job have the supplier cut them and pass the expense onto the customer, if he won't pay, forget it..

The advantage of a large bandsaw is the fact you can bundle, so you get more parts per cut. Understand dealing with bundles is a pain and may require more labor and rigging than it's worth. If your cutting a lot of short rounds you'd likely be better off with an automatic bandsaw. Setup your stock, set your cut length and walk away. The the parts drop into a bin.

I cut a fair amount of aluminum round bar from 2" (50mm) to 9" (230mm). When I started I didn't have the money for a new saw. I bought a DoAll 916 used. I've cut tens of thousands of pounds since. The saw doesn't own me a thing. I'd recommend flood coolant with aluminum.

Years ago I found some videos of a homemade automatic bandsaw. If I was cutting thousands of rounds per week I'd likely do something similar. The videos are no longer there but there is an picture.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...81#post1507781

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    The advantage of a large bandsaw is the fact you can bundle, so you get more parts per cut. Understand dealing with bundles is a pain and may require more labor and rigging than it's worth. If your cutting a lot of short rounds you'd likely be better off with an automatic bandsaw. Setup your stock, set your cut length and walk away. The the parts drop into a bin.

I cut a fair amount of aluminum round bar from 2" (50mm) to 9" (230mm). When I started I didn't have the money for a new saw. I bought a DoAll 916 used. I've cut tens of thousands of pounds since. The saw doesn't own me a thing. I'd recommend flood coolant with aluminum.

Years ago I found some videos of a homemade automatic bandsaw. If I was cutting thousands of rounds per week I'd likely do something similar. The videos are no longer there but there is an picture.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...81#post1507781
    Thats freaky. back in the eighties we had a Kalamazzoo set up with a feeder/stop/clamp to cut 4" tube to 9'11 x 1/2 allowing for a 1/4 top and bottom plate. The rollers on the "downhill ' side of the saw we pitched so they just flopped and rolled onto the gravel drive after being cut. Scooped them up with a Ford forklift. Man we fed prolly 50 tubes a day through that thing...like 400 columns a week. Fun times. Easy money. Doral country club, Miami( Trumpland)
    I've built so many columns ans steel stairs it gives me nightmares 30 years later........