First Time Welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

First Time Welding

When I was in grade 8 (late 70s), once a week they bused us off to a local High School for shop. It was a very small High School. We first did electricity in a portable, then moved into the school proper for the rest of the shop classes.

The shop was small, I bet a lot of people here have larger garages. There where a small number of projects we had to do. But the biggest one was bending a piece of metal into an S shape and welding it to another piece of metal using an oxy/acetylene torch.

The shop teacher gave a quick demo on how to light the torch and get the flame right. Then we where on our own.

Since they only had a couple of torches, you had to wait until one was free. So one day, after I had bent the metal, a torch was free. Under no supervision whatsoever, I lit up the torch and welded the two pieces together. The only piece of safety gear was goggles, other than that we just had our normal school clothes.

It was my favorite part of the class. I bought a welding torch kit (Victor if anybody cares) but have never gotten around to getting gas for it.

But I doubt today if they would let a 14 year old, with basically no training, and no supervision, use a torch with minimal safety gear. Even though, as far as I know, they had been doing this for years with no injuries.

Re: First Time Welding

Well yes in public school. But Boy Scouts let kids earn the welding merit badge. Scouts are as young as 11 years old may engage in the requirements which includes welding. Most boys and some girls are fascinated by metal joining thru welding.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Same here basically. Now the world is full of paranoid bed wetters who are terrified of acet gas. Betcha that rig didnt have any flashback nor arrestors on it either.

Couple factors:

Money- shop classes were closed up due to lack of funding-along with quite a few other extra curricular activities.

lawsuits: parent/child not to blame - school is sued.

again money- school/insurer doesn't want the liability= shop class closed.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

We had the same training in public school too

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Well yes in public school. But Boy Scouts let kids earn the welding merit badge. Scouts are as young as 11 years old may engage in the requirements which includes welding. Most boys and some girls are fascinated by metal joining thru welding.
    This is very encouraging to see! I'm not sure I recall this merit badge being in the catalog when I was in Scouts...which of course now would be over 20 years ago, though. Any knowledge of when it was added?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

LOL My Granddad got the acetylene for his blacksmith shop from an old carbide generator.
    300 AMP MID STATE AC MACHINE FROM THE 2ND WAR, 100% DUTY CYCLE @ 300 AMPS
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 in 1
    1958 OR SO CRAFTSMAN TORCH SETUP
    DAD SAYS "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO A$$HOLES"!

I started arc welding at the age of 9 on a Lincoln 225 AC my dad got.
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I've helped a dozen or so scouts get their welding merit badges. 2 at a time works best. I let them try mig and stick then let them choose which to use for the badge (most choose the squirtgun). The plasma cutter is a HUGE thrill for them.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45

"No matter where you go, there you are" [Buckaroo Bonsai]

Yeah, that Welding Merit Badge was a tough one. Took me almost 60 years to earn mine.

Name:  BSA Cert 004.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  71.1 KB