Ned to cut a welding table down: - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ned to cut a welding table down:

Quote Originally Posted by Poleframer View Post
    How about score it 1/4 deep on one or both sides, then only have to torch or plasma through less thickness with less warpage?
    You're most definitely on to something there ! A damn diamond blade in a rented Stihl concrete saw will get some shllt did !Notice the respirator and PPG ! AHEM. I keep tellin you guys. I'm an idiot !Un rigging a rigged koi pond at a zillionaires house in Floridastan. I know more about building pools and ponds than most anyone. Anywhere. I cut the sides of the thing out and installed a dual skimmer to a bead filtration system, buried all the returns and hooked it all up. We brought in real people from all over the US and even a dude from Canukistan( Nova Scotia). Got it done in 4 dayz.
    8 man team....and one really smart chick.I'm just an engineer and saw man. standing on a board with 500K worth of japanese koi in 8 feet of water. Had a guy pumpin KMNO4 into the water over that waterfall to mix at a steady 3 PPM so the debris got neutralized before getting to the koi's gills. Nary a problem.It even got ridda my athletics feet. The real recipe for that is 8 ppm at 1/2 hour. Nail fungii too.
    DISC: I aint a doctor. I just fix stuff

Name:  blammsaw.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  blammsaw2.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  94.9 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-28-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Quite a difference between cutting concrete or stone, than cutting steel.

Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Slob,

I'd sure like to see what you scored but the pictures aren't showing up for me. I can see a track torch being a real handy piece of equipment for the kinds of work you do.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Slob,

I'd sure like to see what you scored but the pictures aren't showing up for me. I can see a track torch being a real handy piece of equipment for the kinds of work you do.
    It sure is frustrating posting photos anymore from home. I'll attempt go upload them again. Thanks for letting me know.
    Slob

Name:  20170827_194214_resized.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  352.8 KBName:  20170827_194228_resized.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  42.4 KBName:  20170827_194249_resized.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  315.1 KB
    Slob

Nice score, is it electric powered? How does it move down the track?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

It is 110V both AC/DC and drives down the track easily by hand, or electrically. The rheostat is very linear in operation from a crawl to just about 32ipm travel speed. I did purchase some new "101" series tips in 0, 1, 2, and 3 size so if there is anything wrong I'll go to new tips. I need to clean out the block where the hoses attach as it looks like mud dobbers built a nest in there. I'm going to send the torch in to the rebuild shop, (O/A Doctor I think) whom supports the site as it's been on a shelf about a dozen years or so. I had to oil the casters on the unit as the original lubricant was quite stiff and the wheels, nor the caster action was free. It is now.
    Slob

Forgive me my ignorance, I haven't read the whole thread. I bought 1/4" 14' x just under 8' for my truck deck. The supplier offered to cut a 3" strip off. The piece they cut off curled up, the main sheet had to be cut (abrasive) several places to relieve it to lay flat. The track torch cut fine, but a lot of heat is put in in doing so.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Forgive me my ignorance, I haven't read the whole thread. I bought 1/4" 14' x just under 8' for my truck deck. The supplier offered to cut a 3" strip off. The piece they cut off curled up, the main sheet had to be cut (abrasive) several places to relieve it to lay flat. The track torch cut fine, but a lot of heat is put in in doing so.
    I have never seen that myself. Used to cut a lot of 1/4, and 3/8" plate into strips which was then rolled into arcs, but never did see a long cut "curl". Been a lot of years however. I have a sheet of 3/16" I'm going to install into my dump truck so will test this out good on that as the sheet is too wide, to long, and I'm going to angle the sides rather than sharp 90's which are there now. It's a vintage 1951 bed so was common in those days.
    Slob

Nice score slob. I am wondering if it might be slightly tweeked or bent or if it is an optical illusion from the way it looks in the third image.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Nice score slob. I am wondering if it might be slightly tweeked or bent or if it is an optical illusion from the way it looks in the third image.
    No, the track pieces are straight if they are clipped together and the adjustments tightened up. I just loosely butted them together for the photo. Didn't really pay attention to alignment as wanted to see if the machine would track.
    Slob

Ah ok two pieces of track in that image.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-14-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I have never seen that myself. Used to cut a lot of 1/4, and 3/8" plate into strips which was then rolled into arcs, but never did see a long cut "curl". Been a lot of years however. I have a sheet of 3/16" I'm going to install into my dump truck so will test this out good on that as the sheet is too wide, to long, and I'm going to angle the sides rather than sharp 90's which are there now. It's a vintage 1951 bed so was common in those days.
    I exaggerated. The three inch wide, 14' long piece of cut off was humped about a foot. The 14' long nearly 8' wide sheet wouldn't lay flat. As I had stake pockets each 2' I cut them with a saw. It then relaxed enough to clamp down and weld.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

slob,

Looks to me like ya done pretty good getting that given to you. Once you get the torch serviced it ought to be a real handy piece of equipment to have in your pile. That tractor may be old but I'd bet it's still got lot's of useable life left in it.

A friend of mine got this old tractor at a used equipment auction. Judging by the Swastika on the name/spec plate I'm pretty sure it was made in WWII era Germany. It's a heavy duty, seriously over engineered beast of thing. It still runs great.

Name:  temp 009.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  87.9 KB

Thanks. I really was surprised how linear the motion is after setting so long. It crawls right along that track effortlessly. Don't really know if the torch is serviceable or not but cheap insurance to have rebuilt and know. O/A Doctor rebuilt my two stage regulators for oxyfuel so should work well in this application.
    Slob

Just used mine on a job yesterday. Worked like a charm as usual.

Makes filleting out 1" plate a walk in the park.

Don't really know if the torch is serviceable or not but cheap insurance to have rebuilt and know.
    They are very simple. I used one daily cutting and beveling weld coupons for students. If the valves work without leaking and the cutting tip seats that's about all there is to them. A bucket of clear water will tell the tale.

If your electric motor dies or you don't have power for some reason you can push them manually down the track though the result isn't as pretty.

You can make a plasma torch holder to use any plasma cutter with a track torch rather than buy the expensive straight plasma torches designed for the job. (I first saw pics of same on a Weldingweb thread, but I don't remember which).

You can preheat by making a faster pass without cutting oxygen.

If not quite sure of your settings an easy trick is making a test cut outboard of your final cut. That also preheats your work.

If you only have one piece of track and need more length you can substitute with whatever will keep the machine centered, such as tacking strips to a piece of sheet.

To slow of cutting speed is what causes warping problems. You need to find some cut speed charts for the tips you have.
    Try contacting ESAB/ victor for a cutting guide. will make set up a lot faster.
    A good guide should give you pressure settings for the torch, both gases. preheat times and travel speed. plate thickness.
    All you need then is a stop watch and a tape measure. Couple of dry runs to set the speed. Then cut.

Just tried a Google search. Try looking up victor tip charts or victor cut charts. Found a nice pdf file that should help you.
    A number 2 tip should cut 1 inch steel plate.

Thank you. The LWS gave me a small chart listing tip sizes for piercing and cutting tip sizes but I'll go after the chart for the travel speed, pressures, etc.

I was scanning Craigslist and found a 3/4", 4'X10' table somewhat local priced fairly so went ahead and brought that back to the shop. It's a bit taller than I'd like, but the 4X4 legs can be shortened easily enough. a bit heavier than anticipated as I couldn't pick it up with my skid steer which will lift 1800#.
    Slob

Few photos of the "new" table:

Name:  20170918_065302_resized.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  48.5 KBName:  20170918_065333_resized.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  48.2 KBName:  20170918_065404_resized.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  375.4 KB
    Slob

Slob,

You must be live'n right because you seem to be getting all kinds of good deals here lately. Nice table.

I'm wanting to get an area of my building reconfigured into a welding station. Probably the former car wash bay as it's all skinned in steel and has an evacuation system for fumes already. I plan to retire during the first quarter of the new year so kind of a priority. I'm tired of chasing something all over the shop when needed and looking to streamline and consolidate. Next on the want list is a welding boom setup to go around the table.

My wife is doing a bit better and maybe we can take the vacation planned and postponed earlier this year your way next year.
    Slob

First thing to do on the table is rebuild my hoist so I'll have a pair to work with:

Name:  20170918_191041_resized.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  79.3 KBName:  20170918_191053_resized.jpg
Size:  83.7 KBName:  20170918_191106_resized.jpg
Size:  388.3 KBName:  20170918_191129_resized.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  42.5 KB

The lift clutch needs replaced as the hoist will not lift the rated load. It will lift about 1.5 tons and then slips during a lift. Replacement clutch is readily available when it's positively identified as to which one is installed.

Both hoists are 15' lift and ride on original 3 ton trolleys. The hoist shown on the gantry is air powered where the second is 240VAC 3ph but they'll do what I need.
    Slob