Ned to cut a welding table down: - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ned to cut a welding table down:

What is a favored height for a welding table? This one measures right at 42.5" from the floor including the casters. Kind of nice to stand at and work, but may be a bit high to repair/weld and fabricate things on?
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    What is a favored height for a welding table? This one measures right at 42.5" from the floor including the casters. Kind of nice to stand at and work, but may be a bit high to repair/weld and fabricate things on?
    Slob,

I kind of think a shop needs several different height tables. I just held a tape measure up at 42.5" and it felt like a real good height for a stand up and work at table. If I were you I wouldn't be in any great hurry to cut that down.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Slob,

I kind of think a shop needs several different height tables. I just held a tape measure up at 42.5" and it felt like a real good height for a stand up and work at table. If I were you I wouldn't be in any great hurry to cut that down.
    Exactly what I was thinking to as far as height. I was thinking the other table, (which I have yet to get to the shop citing room) will be better a bit shorter. I have a comfortable elevated height barstool type chair which would be perfect for working at this bench. The only trouble is that being 3/4" thick it's a bit heavy for light work..... I think I can get by however.....

Thanks a bunch!
    Slob

Slob,

One table at a comfortable stand up height and one a comfortable sit down and work at height would give you some good versatility to cover a pretty wide range of projects.

This was my solution for a sit down and tig weld at table when I first set up in this shop. It's a 3' x 5' piece of 5/8" plate. IIRC it's 30.625" high. And I've got a fairly decent adjustable height rolling office chair to sit in while working at it.

Name:  40 dip 029.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  71.1 KB

Tore that hoist apart last evening and well worth the cost of shipping to acquire it. The friction clutch facings have worn away from use and the rest of the hoist is very sound, and tight. What should take about 30 ft. pounds of torque to twist I can do with my bare hands holding the two sections together. There are friction discs which are worn much like a motorcycle and readily replaceable.

Looks like I won't be upside down with this after all.
    Slob

Well, a setback for certain. The clutch once apart is discovered to be disintegrated and broken. I suppose either a drive pawl, or keyway let go and the metal parts started chewing on other parts. I'll have to check on replacement parts cost(s), but it very well may be a parts hoist at this time. There is a lot of evidence this thing has been let's say abused, (liberty taken) as there are safety items missing to keep overtravel down, and support shafts which should be straight, are bent into an arc. Oh well, I have the cost of shipping in the thing and that's not too bad to write off. We've all done it so no harm, no foul.

Thanks,

Name:  20170920_195337_resized.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  310.4 KBName:  20170920_204739_resized.jpg
Size:  468.6 KBName:  20170920_204746_resized.jpg
Size:  464.5 KBName:  20170920_204813_resized.jpg
Size:  365.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Slob

Well, a bit expensive but $502.00 w/free shipping and parts are a coming to repair this hoist. Certainly cannot replace the unit for the repair parts cost and it will be good as new including replacement of missing parts which originally caused some of the damage. Limit stops etc. which were removed for some odd reason..... The prior owner replaced the motor less than an hour of use prior to the drive failing so once back together, it should all work well.
    Last edited by Slob; 09-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Slob

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Slob,

One table at a comfortable stand up height and one a comfortable sit down and work at height would give you some good versatility to cover a pretty wide range of projects.

This was my solution for a sit down and tig weld at table when I first set up in this shop. It's a 3' x 5' piece of 5/8" plate. IIRC it's 30.625" high. And I've got a fairly decent adjustable height rolling office chair to sit in while working at it.

Name:  40 dip 029.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  71.1 KB
    This advice I'm going to heed. I spent over two hours tonight teaching and learning my self something while standing at this bench. It really is a comfortable height to work at so think I'll leave the casters mounted and install a receiver hitch down low on the swivel caster side with the coupler mounted to a tube that slides in the receiver. I can use my trailer plate on the skid steer to move it easily then. I did square the top to the frame and stitch welded a few beads so it's quite rigid and won't shift. Think I'll do the receiver tube idea for the vise and belt grinder too rather than mount them to the top of the table. I like the table top being unencumbered.

Got to thinking about building a welding boom myself when I remembered I'd saved a couple of small aluminum jib cranes from work several years ago. Had to go looking but located them in my building. One is complete and is 4" aluminum I beam with a 1/2" wall aluminum round tube as the base about 36" tall and the top portion is about 48" tall with a thrust bearing and roller bearings in a cartridge to allow the thing to rotate. The beam is only about 48" long but I have two so it could be extended easily. The base has three angled aluminum pipe legs at about 45 degrees so the footprint is too wide, but these could be cut free and repositioned at about a 30 degree angle to narrow it up. This thing mounted to a rolling cart with a welding machine on it would probably work well. These jibs were rated at 1000#'s lift, so should be heavy enough.
    Slob