Quick lube flunkies - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Quick lube flunkies

I took my f150 in to the dealer a whille back... they have one of the best alignment guys around and we once worked together so no worries on that.. while I was in the waiting room, the service writer was talking about the 49 dollar oil change they offered..
    The lube bay was kinda slow and they offered to use motorcraft oil and filter so i told them to go ahead (he had no idea its a 7.3 and holds about 14 quarts)
    They were surprised when it rolled in from the alignment rack..they still did it for 49 dollars...
    Got out of there with an alignment and oil for less than 120 dollars..
    It cost me about 75 just for the filter and oil when i do It

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    I took my f150 in to the dealer a whille back... they have one of the best alignment guys around and we once worked together so no worries on that.. while I was in the waiting room, the service writer was talking about the 49 dollar oil change they offered..
    The lube bay was kinda slow and they offered to use motorcraft oil and filter so i told them to go ahead (he had no idea its a 7.3 and holds about 14 quarts)
    They were surprised when it rolled in from the alignment rack..they still did it for 49 dollars...
    Got out of there with an alignment and oil for less than 120 dollars..
    It cost me about 75 just for the filter and oil when i do It

hope they used diesel rated oil......I dunno when it comes to my 7.3 I don't trust anyone working on it but me. I even get nervous when I take it to the car wash.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    hope they used diesel rated oil......I dunno when it comes to my 7.3 I don't trust anyone working on it but me. I even get nervous when I take it to the car wash.
    It was motorcraft 1540...nothing special like syn or anything but it was the diesel 15-40 in the red motorcraft gallons
    I watched him pour it in. I usually use rotella unless i get motorcraft at a deal

It was motorcraft 1540...nothing special like syn or anything but it was the diesel 15-40 in the red motorcraft gallons
    I watched him pour it in. I usually use rotella unless i get motorcraft at a deal
    I have enough of the old CJ rated Rotella 15/40 for one more change. The new one is CK rated and although they claim it is backwards compatible Ford does not agree, they found accelerated wear in their lab testing and have not approved it for use in their engines. I will be switching to Motorcraft CJ, which still has the old levels of phosphorus that they took out of the CK oils. Technically the 7.3 is not really a Ford engine but I am not taking any chances.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

The first thing I do when I go to any shop is to have a quick look and chat with the "mechanics" doing the work. Wally world isn't even on the list. I don't believe that first year apprentices and first year immigrants paid minimum wages make up a reliable, experienced and knowledgeable workforce. Unfortunately, I haven't trusted any shop for many years, an honest one is so difficult to come by and I have neither the bank account or the patience for that crapshoot. I live in a big city that has plenty of shops around, I would think that a shop being outside of the city would have to rely on their reputation a bit more due to the lower number of shops. An oil change takes only a few minutes and there are many shops around here that will take that excess oil, no need to have my ride damaged by my own neglectful use of local apprentice learning centres. For the most part I've had good experiences dealing with major work done at shops, just do the apprentice work yourself.
    Last edited by bearston; 08-15-2017 at 05:33 AM.

When a welder tells you to "stick it", what do they really mean?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by bearston View Post
    The first thing I do when I go to any shop is to have a quick look and chat with the "mechanics" doing the work.
    If someone bypasses the front office, then wants me to stop what im doing, they dont hear what they want to.
    Being a commission based tech, nothing pisses me off more than someone who thinks my time is free to chat...
    Ill talk to a customer all day, but its going on the ticket at full hourly rate.
    If someone doesn't like it...too bad.
    I have and still do ignore people when im ***-deep in a big job...
    Dont like being rude, but like last week, doing a timing chain and waterpump on a maxima and was right in the middle of lacing the chain around sprockets when someone wanted me to check their ac because they had a long trip to go on and they couldn't find where to put the freon in...it was an old square body blazer (r12 era) and they had just bought a 30 dollar can of ac pro...which is 134..
    Ill be nice when possible, but when you come in then tell me that it will only take a minute....well, youve just pushed my instant-*** button.

Walmart made contact yesterday....
    They said that they would not pay for a remanufactured engine, but they did say that they could purchase a used motor from LKQ and it comes from LKQ with a 6 months parts and labor warranty.
    I told my them that sounds pretty fair... they are having it sent to the shop and agreed to pay our labor rate for replacement and paying the tow and check out bill.
    The LKQ motor has a few thousand miles less than the truck.
    Probably just go ahead and install a new timing chain/tensioner and guides in the replacement motor before i stick it in
    At least they are making it right

coffee cold?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

If someone bypasses the front office, then wants me to stop what im doing, they dont hear what they want to.
    You fail to realize there is a special class of people who don't have to use the front door. They're better than all of us; and social norms, courtesy, and common sense don't apply to them. You can try closing the garage door, but they'll just knock on it because it's easier for them if you open it than it is for them to walk that extra distance of a couple steps to the entrance. Customers who don't use the same entrance as everyone else are one of my biggest pet peeves.

One fact that cannot be denied is that there are as many rip-off shops as there are rip-off customers, we've all been burdened by their BS, regardless of which side of the counter we're on. An obviously a well trained and ticketed mechanic doing apprentice work couldn't change oil to save his soul, costing you an engine, how much time and aggravation did that cost you, even though they reimbursed you to a degree? That's a very serious reputation burner for the shop and mechanic as well, would you agree? My business has been screwed by more suppliers (businesses) than customers. Do I place my trust blindly in any shop or professional who props up a shingle? Only a fool would and only a fool would blindly hire someone without scrutiny.

Any shop that refuses to show me why I should be their customer, won't have me as a customer, why would I let them abuse me? There are many ways of checking out a shop, speaking to the manger or counter representative is usually a good place to start as is asking the customers waiting in the shop if they are repeat customers and of course, the internet. Barging into a shop to pull somebody of a piece-work job to 'chat' would likely wind up with a c-wrench buried in their heads(metaphorically) from either the mechanic or manager (if they have one). If you as a business owner get upset about inquiries into your business, you're obviously hiding something. Trust is a 2-way street.

Unfortunately around here auto shops are not to be trusted and that is the default setting for most whether independent, franchise or dealer. If you can get rid of the horror stories, you get rid of the mistrust. Why didn't you have those highly trained, ticketed mechanics at wally world put your 'new' engine, as you can see, they are obviously qualified, just hand the keys over, what have you got to lose, they have a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    You fail to realize there is a special class of people who don't have to use the front door. They're better than all of us; and social norms, courtesy, and common sense don't apply to them. You can try closing the garage door, but they'll just knock on it because it's easier for them if you open it than it is for them to walk that extra distance of a couple steps to the entrance. Customers who don't use the same entrance as everyone else are one of my biggest pet peeves.
    Yep....then they have to explain theirselvs as to how and why they arent in the wrong....( hint hint...look up one)
    I dont need customers like that, hate people like that, and damn sure dont dont like hearing their BS...they are the type who know all but cant do ****..

You remind me of my friend's Rhesus monkey, your business should do well.

We do well even with putting guys like you out the front door..
    Did it this morning,
    He says its fine, just blew a hose...
    Charged him diag time and sent him packing. He says its fine, i know better and if he had shut up and listened, he might have had a chance of understanding it..but he already knows its fine
    Dont like people like you or him and business is better without your bull****.

This clown is now at the parts store with steam and coolant everywhere....but its fine, it cant possibly have a bad head or gasket..
    Good riddance...maybe he will find a mechanic in a bottle that will do more for himName:  20170818_105026.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  61.3 KBName:  20170818_104917.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  69.4 KB

I never have or will pay anyone else to change my oil. I teftape or dope plug threads so they never gall or wear (I keep vehicles a long time), and I want to see the drained oil to prevent any surprises. I've fixed enough of other peoples mistakes over the years...

It's much quicker to do it at home than drive to pay some uncaring gomer to do it wrong. Even at good shops the new helper often gets to do the oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I never have or will pay anyone else to change my oil. I teftape or dope plug threads so they never gall or wear (I keep vehicles a long time), and I want to see the drained oil to prevent any surprises. I've fixed enough of other peoples mistakes over the years...

It's much quicker to do it at home than drive to pay some uncaring gomer to do it wrong. Even at good shops the new helper often gets to do the oil changes.
    ^X2

While I'm under there I'm giving other items a quick inspection.... I've caught many little issues that way before they have turned into something worse.

My banker has gone to the local Ford dealer for a long time every 3 years to buy a Tbird; goes in, tells the salesman the options he wants, pulls out his check and makes the deal- no beating up the dealer on price (by one of my definitions, an excellent customer). It is his fair weather car so it only goes out on sunny days, but not winter so it doesn't rack up the miles but he insists that the oil is changed by the dealer every 6 months even if there is 1000 miles on it. Something made him stone the tire, when he came to pick it up the stone was still on the tire but was billed for a service, if the dealer is going to screw a good customer, how do they handle lesser customers?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

I always like the guy with the clip board that tells you all the things they checked and did on their "16 point lube check" list. He doesn't have a clue, just reading and checking the list.

They check the lube in the rear differential, but if you look the plug still has ten year old mud and dust on it. Hasn't been touched. They used to check and lube all the front ball joints on my wifes old taurus, according to the guy. That thing didn't have a grease zerk on it!!
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I always like the guy with the clip board that tells you all the things they checked and did on their "16 point lube check" list. He doesn't have a clue, just reading and checking the list.

They check the lube in the rear differential, but if you look the plug still has ten year old mud and dust on it. Hasn't been touched. They used to check and lube all the front ball joints on my wifes old taurus, according to the guy. That thing didn't have a grease zerk on it!!

If your next car is going to be a front wheel drive they are going to have even more problems finding the rear diff plug.

Many years ago a bought a new GMC, after about 100 miles I checked it out thoroughly to familiarize myself with the details. Handchecked the DRAIN plug on the transfer case and found it less than one turn from falling out. I was giver the 100+ item checklist that was part of "dealer prep" and it was of course checked off. Next time I was in the area of the dealer I stopped into see the service manager. I mentioned my issue and he stated "you can go 1000 miles after the oil has drained out", I asked "then what?".
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools