Quick lube flunkies
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick lube flunkies

My cousin called about an hour ago, he had bought tires from a Wal-Mart and they sold him an oil change service..
    Hell, i hate changing oil and lots of time if we are busy at work, ill take my truck into a quick lube joint and tell them.. "Dont do anything besides changing the oil and filter, dont touch anything other than my motor oil"
    For the 30 bucks, ill gladly pay to not have to set the rack, drain, fight the hot filter and refill.. its just worth the 30 for me not to have to mess with it, and we are a smaller shop and most of our customers know that oil changes are a general hassle. We do a couple per week id guess and looks as if we gained another one if it survives..
    Anyway, he pulled into his driveway and said he was looking through his mail with the truck running and then he heard the motor change tone and start ticking...he steps out and hot oil had already made its way out..he stepped in it where it had run out so fast.
    He called Wal-Mart, they tell him just to come by and pick up some oil for it at no charge. He is stranded in his driveway with no way to get there...
    Im leaving now to go get it. Im going to put it on the lift and document and photograph it..
    Im betting tge plug came out, i told him to call them back and notify them that its going to a certified shop and that at the minimum, pull the oil pan and a couple bearing caps to check for damage.. the department manager has already called us since my cousin told them thstit was coming to our shop to be checked..
    Ill get some pics and see where this goes... if it starved for oil for just a few seconds, it could be considered a total loss.. the truck isnt worth a new motor...i have the feeling that this will get ugly between them
    Blue stock- shopmaster, a/bp330, maxstar 150stl, maxstar 210, hf251, Tbolt ac/dc, mm 135
    Red stock-ranger 8, weldanpower 150, idealarc 250 ac/dc
    Esab plasma, Victor OA set, Air products ac/dc 400 amp
    It's me flipped in snow..doughnut fail

Re: Quick lube flunkies

I never have any of my vehicles serviced at wally world regardless if for tires or anything else. They hire the help they can at minimum wage.

i used to always be on a couple of toyota forums and the stories i heard of quick change and walmart oil changes going south were amazing.

the "fill without draining the old oil first" being the most common. guys drive home with a double fill.

funny though the stories from folks attempting to change themselves were often better. more than a few have drained trans fluid, added 5 qts to the motor, and gone about their way with an empty trans and a double filled motor to boot! love it.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

I've had some friends through the years that actually worked at some quick lube places when they were young. The stories they told were horrible. One guy said the owner had them take all the partial quarts, pour them in one container, and sell it as "synthetic." I assume they were all the same viscosity, but if he already had them doing something like that, who knows. A lot never bother to change the filter, but still charge for a new filter. If you dare go to one, put an inconspicuous mark on your filters first.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    I've had some friends through the years that actually worked at some quick lube places when they were young. The stories they told were horrible. One guy said the owner had them take all the partial quarts, pour them in one container, and sell it as "synthetic." I assume they were all the same viscosity, but if he already had them doing something like that, who knows. A lot never bother to change the filter, but still charge for a new filter. If you dare go to one, put an inconspicuous mark on your filters first.

I had a friend who worked at "Econo Lube & Tune" many years ago. Not sure if they are even around any more. Heard a lot of stories, one time they put long reach spark plugs in a short reach engine and broke all the pistons so I was told. Once while travelling thru Florida I needed an oil change on my old 6.9 diesel so I took it to a quick lube place. A month or two later when I was back home in Arizona I went to change it and there was one of those self tapping plugs in the pan that you use when you strip out the factory one.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I had a friend who worked at "Econo Lube & Tune" many years ago. Not sure if they are even around any more. Heard a lot of stories, one time they put long reach spark plugs in a short reach engine and broke all the pistons so I was told. Once while travelling thru Florida I needed an oil change on my old 6.9 diesel so I took it to a quick lube place. A month or two later when I was back home in Arizona I went to change it and there was one of those self tapping plugs in the pan that you use when you strip out the factory one.
    It was a little dark under the truck but it didnt take long to find that they stripped the pan on this one. It has one of those self-tapping oversized plugs in it..the nylon washer was crushed on one side and the threads in the pan are history.. luckly it has the two piece pan and the drain is located in the lower pan
    I pulled the lower pan and found sparkles in the bottom.
    Looks like they will have to pay for the truck or pay to put a motor in it. Its too late, it did loose everything and probably ran for 20-30 seconds at 0 psi.
    Looks like they ran that plug in with an impact.. ill get a couple pictures in the morning
    Blue stock- shopmaster, a/bp330, maxstar 150stl, maxstar 210, hf251, Tbolt ac/dc, mm 135

Gonna be impossible to prove it and they know it you'll be lucky to get the money back for the oil change, csi jiffy lube

Only 20-30 seconds with 0psi at idle? I'd be surprised if there's any bearing damage unless it was there already. Sparkles may be from installing the self-tapping repair plug.

Have you ever seen how long it takes a motor to seize with no oil or water at WOT at a fair or carnie?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Michael ray

For your cause . . .

Photos: of oil-tracks in the road leading to his
    driveway, would be the most telling . . .

Opus

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Only 20-30 seconds with 0psi at idle? I'd be surprised if there's any bearing damage unless it was there already. Sparkles may be from installing the self-tapping repair plug.

Have you ever seen how long it takes a motor to seize with no oil or water at WOT at a fair or carnie?
    Its the ford 4.0 sohc motor. I know the sparkles are most likely from the timing chain guides and im just guessing on the run time with no pressure. It more than likely had some previos engine damage but running it out sure didnt help it. He does have pictures and they have already issued him a case number for the problem..i dont think they are going to dispute this, the department manager already admitted to wrong doing on their part and i hear its been a continuous problem with one of their guys there...
    Its not my dog in this race, so ill sit back and see what happens. I did loan him car for the weekend, probably won't know whats going to happen till early next week.

I agree with duane. Idling for 20-30 seconds with no oil flow would do little if any damage. If it's a steel pan and a magnet will pick up those sparkles you know where they came from. The babbitt in the bearings will peel off before crank damage occurs.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Hobart G-213
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Many years ago some of you might remember there was an advertisement from a major brand oil about the race car that got the oil drained and forgot to refill and still ran the race, if I recall they tore the engine down and the lack of damage was impressive. Of course the oil film was credited but I don't remember which brand it was.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

I ran a chevy 305 out of oil once...knocked a hole in the pan with front driveshaft shrapnel.
    It chunked a rod and siezed up but it did take a few miles before it quit..once it cooled off, i was able to fire it up again and chunk another rod...i did this 3 or 4 times. It finally shat so much steel into the crankcase that nothing would move
    Those were the days...

a looong time.....back out of high school I worked at a chevy dealer, they had a celebrity or some car of that size with a 4 cylinder they got approval for a new engine but it wasnt blown but it had to be for the area rep to inspect after changing, se we were tasked to blow it up..let me tell you this should have been a commercial for the durability of this 4 cylinder engine...we drained the oil and anti freeze and let it run full speed..5 min, 19 min 15 min 20 min..now I smell something burning so I think were close for it to go boom..nope the cat go so red hot it was burning the rug inside the car...so next what can we put down the throttle body to help..you name it anti freeze, water, brake drum filings ( back then we still cut drums and rotors) sugar water..nothing worked..so now we cut a hole in the oil pan and loosened some bolts to the rod caps..clickity clack the dam thing still ran and wouldnt throw a rod..we had to completely unbolt a rod cap for this thing to finally look like it threw a rod..I was amazed at the abuse that little engine took and kept on going....so aint no way running at idle for 30 seconds was gona hurt that motor...the clicking was just the lifters that pumped down from lack of oil...now the stripped oil pan is a different story...

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Many years ago some of you might remember there was an advertisement from a major brand oil about the race car that got the oil drained and forgot to refill and still ran the race, if I recall they tore the engine down and the lack of damage was impressive. Of course the oil film was credited but I don't remember which brand it was.
    id say mobil 1 synthetic oil...a friend that races lost oil pressure in a qualifying round, if he didnt continue he would be out for the year, so he figured the engine was poop( ford mustang it had an 8 cylinder worked engine) so he kept going, he used mobil 1 synthetic, when he pulled the engine apart ..no damage..he replaced all the bearings including the cam bearings and cam shaft , lifters and part that could wear from lack of oil just for good measure, he said the block and heads were big money and he didnt want to take a chance next race..ended up the oil pump had a problem.. that sold me on mobil1 or any 100% synthetic oil, so thats all I use now...

These newer motors that run 5-20 dont like to be starved very long.
    The cams ride in a machined aluminum surface instead of bearings like old small blocks used.
    Ive seen lots of galling on cams from oil starvation, lots of heat in the head along with lack of lube can cause damage pretty quick...
    Tolerance is tighter in later models and like i said earlier..truck isnt very nice and probably already had some internal issues, but dropping its oil was no help to it.
    If they pay to put a motor in, ill take care of it...
    If they don't, probably fix the pan, refill and see if itll survive..
    Be a good time to address the problematic timing chains and guides tho...

throw in some of that lucas oil treatment..that stuff is sticky..should take up a few thousandths of clearance..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    throw in some of that lucas oil treatment..that stuff is sticky..should take up a few thousandths of clearance..lol
    Lucas needs at least .030 to flow and probably more like a quarter inch for maximum lubrication

I have a shovel head that runs nicely on a lucas/20w50 blend...mix equal parts oil with lucas and its sweet
    Anything thinner and it sounds like 2 skeletons gettin it on atop a tin roof

I used to go to those quick change places (always the same one tho) and feared something like this happening. My 2006 Chevy 2500 spun a cam bearing when the oil pump quit working. They put a new engine in it (under warranty) and I had to leave it in Kennesaw GA for a week on the way back from Florida with a trailer load of machinery.

I just do it myself now. My neighbor works at a parts plus auto supply and the oil is cheap. About $18 for six quarts of store brand full synthetic and a filter.

Hope he gets some resolution. Wouldn't hold my breath on it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    ....so aint no way running at idle for 30 seconds was gona hurt that motor...
    Well, it is a Ford after all so . . .
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Well, it is a Ford after all so . . .
    LOL..good point..I like to do my own service on my vehicles, when im underneath im always looking around for anything else that may need attention, you know the quicky lube job person could care less about your car or truck..

I've used Motorkote for years, I can't prove it works as advertised, but I always put it in every oil change just the same. My satisfaction with the product comes from my 1993 Snappers 20 HP Kohler motor and my JD's 1991 Yanmar motor both sounding like they did when they were new. Also my 1994 351 Ford turns over in 10 below weather without the starter groaning with Motorkote in it. I can't be sure but I think it stopped my ford's motor from burning oil. I learned about MotorKote from an over the road truck driver call in show, they all swore by it. I know many guys don't believe in additives, but I'm going keep using MotorKote, I believe it helps my motors.

Last edited by tackit; 08-13-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Anyone who shadows a door at a Walmart deserves anything that happens to them while taking the risk in the name of saving $3. F'em

Our local GM dealer always has coupons for oil change and tied rotations. They are the same price so I do there. Actually I bought tires there any they were less $$ then Costco or Sam's and four free oil changes and lifetime rotation.
    Dealerships are becoming more competitive in some areas