Hobart GPB-260 Willy's powered
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart GPB-260 Willy's powered

Hello I just acquired this welder. Was wandering if anyone had one around that they would have some extra parts from. I'm looking for a hand wheel as mine is bent and a good gas tank and air cleaner. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Hobart GPB-260 Willy's powered

There great old machines that weld very nice when all is well with it.
    The Willys engine is still very easy to get parts for, Napa a good source, another good source is Omix -Ida, there a jeep parts supplier, as that Willys is basically a jeep engine.
    The Magneto is interesting as most all of these guys came with a distributer.
    The hand wheel we generally would roll a 3/8" rod in a roller ,you could hand form a round rod with heat around something of the same outside diameter.
    We would simply cut wheel the ears that attached to the bent wheel and straighten the ears and then weld new wheel on to existing ears.
    Air filters we purchase Donaldson or other that would fit well from Tractor supply or Napa ,although Napa is generally more bucks.
    A simple air hose from your carb inlet to the aftermarket air filter is dirt simple. The Donaldson's are a paper element type filter, far better then the old oil bath and less messy.
    There's no major science to sizing the filter just match the filter housings clean air outlet size to the carburetors inlet size diameter.
    The fuel tanks a different story, the chance of finding a good useable is slim. Is yours rotted out or just gummed up as gummed up can be boiled clean at most radiator shops.
    Some people drop a short length of chain inside them with cleaner and slosh the tank, then reseal with air craft sealing compound or other fuel tank sealer.
    We have fabricated more then a few fuel tanks ,simple forming and welding then leak testing, almost always we can reuse the original fuel neck as they almost never rust out.
    We weld a outlet bung on the bottom as well as a bung for a drain.
    Hopefully someone has a old tank for you ,but all is certainly not lost if you have to build one.

I checked with Hobart.com. They said it was sold as a hand start model. So that explains the magneto. I had it running briefly only to find out the oil line going to the filter broke under pressure and the fuel pump is shot. I was telling a friend of mine about and his dad had one that was parted out for the Willys engine. He still has the gas tank !!! He is going to look around to see if any other parts are laying around. Thanks for the idea of the rod bent for the hand wheel. I'm going to get the bugs worked out of the engine and see if it welds before dumping a bunch of time and money in to it. I also found a manual for it on eBay. I would like to find the original air cleaner ,but if not I have a Donaldson from a Hercules power unit that will work.

I hate to disagree with the boys over at Hobart but here's the deal, I have never seen a Hobart with the Willys that was not electric start.
    That said, your factory fan guard was notched for the generator belt and if it had been a hand crank/start then the pulley on the water pump would be adjustable to tighten the fan belt as there would be no way to tighten it without the swing of the generator.
    Also it may or may not have had a ring gear on the fly wheel, but that is a period correct starter/solenoid.
    And the tail mount on the generator is Willys correct as well as the factory oil fill tube would be indented from the factory for generator clearance.
    Super one in a million chance finding a factory fuel tank.

My Hobart G-258 w/Willy's engine is both hand and electric start. The crank goes in under the radiator core, engages a fork in the center of the crankshaft sheave, (pulley) to turn the engine. The generator does have swing and the water pump sheave, (pulley) is fixed. The ignition is distributor based and starts easily by either the starter or by hand.

That is a late 1940's to early 1950's machine where mine is 1965. With the exception of sheet metal, they look very similar and engine layout is near identical.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Thanks for your input! Here's my opinion on the hand start. I believe all the Willys engines were equipped with the starter and generator for the reasons you listed above. I agree that the nut on the crank shaft has the rod in it for the hand crank on most Willys engines of that era. I do believe that this was sold as a hand start model for the following reasons. The first is there are no holes in the front or rear where a key switch would have mounted or is there any traces of a battery tray or box. Next there is no amp gauge and the hole is blocked off with a factory plate. Next the kill switch and choke are on the right rear next to the radiator housing with the it formed to fit the switch and choke. And lastly there is a holder on the right side inside the cabinet door for a hand crank. The voltage regulator is a newer vintage as well as the wiring to both the starter and generator, that in itself does not prove anything tho. I have looked at all the pictures I could find on the web and all with electric start clearly show the key,amp and choke on the front panel along with the other controls. Out of all those pics none had a magneto. Again this is just my opinion and my first thoughts when I bought it. Truth be known the only reason I bought it was because of the magneto on a Willys engine. I received the manual for it so I will do some reading and see what I come up with . Thank you
    Last edited by Rustyiron2; 08-15-2017 at 08:56 PM.

I've never seen a Willy's engine with a magneto before either. All have been distributor based ignitions. They are very reliable in their application and inexpensive to maintain or rebuild. Pretty easy starting engines if the oil is thin on the cold winter months.

Most of the Willy's four cylinder powered welders I've seen have the battery mounted low just under the generator. Sometimes the channel frame is notched for fitment, sometimes not. I have also seen some older Hobart machines which had a mechanical arm attached to the starter where the operator would push, or pull this arm to engage the starter motor so no keyswitch was required. Engine shutoff was achieved by pressing a button on the distributor body grounding the points. Cold start choke was another lever attached to the carburetor air horn to operate the butterfly and had a friction setting to only allow operator relaxing, or opening.

Plethora of things could be going on there as time and different operators make changes to the basic machine. I hope you can get some use of it as I kinda like seeing the old ones work. I still use a couple of my old Hobarts every month and they really are good, smooth machines.
    Slob

found some old photos of mine:
    Slob

Slob
    Do you have a picture of the air cleaner?
    Thanks

found this one.
    Name:  Air Cleaner.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  76.0 KB
    Slob

Here is a GPB 258 Pipeliner. I also have a GPB 261 Mainliner just don't have a pic of it at this time. There pretty much the same machine except the 261 has a Reverse polarity switch on the control panel. I believe the GPB 257 was Hand crank only.
    Last edited by BYW200; 11-15-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    SA 200's 1970, 1969,1965, 1963, 1955/44,
    SA 250 1981 D152 DC only
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro mig 135
    Hobart GPB 1957 258 Pipeliner, 1958 261 Mainliner
    Miller Load Bank
    Everlast ST 200
    Hobart Airforce 250