Thread: Meltdown

Meltdown

Name:  tig 1.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  103.5 KB
    Name:  tig 2.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  112.1 KB
    Brand new tig gloves. Never even untagged.
    Explanation of the prescription vials....I have large hands, so usually stretch gloves before wearing. Force pill containers into each finger and thumb, all the way to the end. Then soak with Tannery Leather Conditioner or anything similar. Allow a few days to stretch/dry, ready to go, perfect fit. Tossed this pair onto the welding table for later use.

Attempting to bring an old tractor battery back to life. Loosen caps, check fluid level, charge away. Fairly quickly had acid bubbling out the holes, even on low setting. Bad sign. Grabbed a 60cc syringe and pulled some acid out of each cell. Put the syringe into a zip lock bag and set it on the welding table. Intended to replace fluid as soon as charging is complete and battery cooled down. And of course forgot about it....

Discovered the mess last night. Syringe leaked, and went through the baggy too. Gloves absorbed much of it. Ironically not much damage to the table surface. Cleaned off some of the mill scale.

No welding equipment or consumables were harmed by this mistake.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Re: Meltdown

better on your gloves than in your eyes, I watched a charging battery explode when the guy was taking off the clamps on the battery, it must of sparked and boom, shook the building big time, we grabbed the guy and got the hose going over his face to flush the acid from his eyes and skin, he was dam lucky, after the hospital visit he went home and no loss of vision and the scrapes and cuts healed in time....now I wont go near a charging battery without eye protection...

They can go with a good bang. I've blown up a couple, somewhat, kinda sorta on semi purpose. Taking an old dump body we were going to save off an old Topkick, standing in the body cutting right above the battery box. Wham, off she went, it was under the body and it was only me around so no one was going to get hurt, shook the truck a fair bit. scared the crap outa me as I didn't expect such a big bang.
    That was back when I was young and foolish, now I'm just old and stupid :-)............M

i thought you were hiding your pharmaceutical stash in the glove and mice discovered it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Geeker mice....they are hell on wiring

A few weeks ago I had a car battery, being used as a gate backup battery, explode in my face. Lucky for me, I follow the PPE guidelines for work, and had my safety glasses on.

Sounded like a gunshot and sprayed me with acid.

Had that happen in my welding machine. Don't know why.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is some scary event. Be thankful it didn't target your eyes.