F162 Valveguide Install
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

F162 Valveguide Install

Question is do I need any kind of lube on a new valve guide prior to hammering it in, Ive purchased the correct tool driver to remove and install them. Is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for? I have already removed #1 exhaust, that valve and guide was hanging up pretty bad now im ready to install new guide and cut seat. Thanks

Re: F162 Valveguide Install

The Continental repair manual doesn't make a recommendation for any kind of lubricant and I never used any in all the Detroit Diesel heads I replace guides in years ago but I can't see where a light coating of oil or anti-seize would hurt either.

Do you have the installation dimension information?

F-162-163 Valve Guide Location.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Thanks duane, I do have that info on the depth for the guides from top of block-how im going to get it there precisely is something to think about before I start driving it home. I also noted that in the L-head book not only did I see what you supplied a pdf of but in the written specs it called for 1-15/32"that can be found on pg 77 under F162 Distance,cyl.block contact face guide. I know its only .062 difference but ??

Good catch. Never saw that before.

The later (2006) publication states 1-15/32" so I'd go with that one - but at least the 1-13/32" of the earlier (1993) one.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Hey where did you get the tool to remove the valve guides? I got a broken spring on my #1 exhaust. Still runs but I'm redoing the motor so might as well !! Thanks

I bought from cylinder head supply. It's the manual driver and is fir 11/32 Id valves. Surprisingly good steady dead blows with a decent size hammer and they come out smooth. I've devised a jig from 1/2" steel plate -simple and bought two 7/16 Id locking shaft collars to set the depth. PS, duanneb55 if you read this, I measured a guide from block to guide top and it measured 1-13/32. Wonder if the 15/32 is a misprint ??. If you give me a day or so I can post some pics and part # for you.

Good info. I wondered about the possibility of a misprint but didn't go out and measure one to see.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

duaneb55 The guides I received from BW are a little longer than what came out. So it kinda forced me to double check and be sure.Since continental l head gives the dimension from the block to guide that's what Ive decided to hold.

That makes sense but make sure you check the spring retainer-to-guide clearance at full open position. I'd check the first of each one (intake and exhaust) and go from there. If using valve seals they need to be in place before checking and you can use a weak small wire test spring to make checking easier.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

makes sense so as the valve spring retainer doesn't crash into the bottom of the guide when the spring is compressed. I wondered about that. I will spin the whole assembly by hand first to make sure nothing binds. I hope zpersico knows the lifter has to come out before hammering the guide out.

Here's the pics zpersico
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I slip and lock the collars to the driver, at the predetermined depth. I drilled a 1/2" hole in a 3/8" steel plate, when the collar hits the plate it sets the valve guide to your measured depth. Keep in mind you have to hit the driver with conviction but not necessarily beat it. really not to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldboy View Post
    Keep in mind you have to hit the driver with conviction but not necessarily beat it.
    *Finesse it with a BFH*
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

. . . you have to hit the driver with conviction but not necessarily beat it.
    Love that description. The two are definitely different.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

I can't see the pic it just says "attached image"

I PM 'd you look for a message in your box.

I PM 'd you look for a message in your box.

hey i can see the pic on my laptop not my phone…kinda lame but i got the same valve spring tool and ill buy that driver too… thanks a lot!

Hey where did you find the locking collars? I found the driver tool but the only collars I can find on that website are for .500 and up.. did you buy the VC-500 collar? That says it's tolerance is .496-.504? Just wondering before I order all this stuff.

Got all the accessories off today, got the head and all the studs out, and got the #1 exhaust spring retainer pin and valve out... got everything ready to seat these new valves but I wanna get the guide out befor I go any further

Thanks for all the help !

I wanna post a pic of the broken valve spring but can't even manage to do that... I think doing this all from a phone makes it harder

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  78.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  92.3 KB These are nothing special 1/2" id collars from hardware store and 3/8"x2" flat bar. Take the lifters out and don't mix them up. Hammer out old guides except for 1 intake. Use the plate and driver with collars to set depth for new guides. You can hammer out the intakes without interference from the collars. Simply add the plate back in to the equation when driving new guides in. Plate has a 1/2" hole drilled in it. That's about it. Good luck.

Hah now I'm on my phone and your pictures show up! I just placed an MSC order a few hours ago and could have added the collar to the order if I knew.. welp I'll place another order! Thanks for the picture of the jig, that should work real good! Are you replacing the valves springs pins and guides? That's what I'm going to do... I'm not sure if I should do the seats also well I got it all opened up?!

Im replacing -guides -valves- keepers-springs and bought a Neway kit to cut the valve seats. Much to my surprise the seats look real good so im hoping minimal cutting and lapping. If your west of me or north and have a tractor supply they most likely have collars,hell any good hardware industrial supply really. Im going to get knurled tipped screws this weekend as ive noticed the collars even tight -slip a little and you have to keep an eye on them. The drive tool is hard. Or ill just tack them with tig.

I would also recommend a little 3in1 oil on the guides before hammering in new ones. Seems to go a little smoother than when dry like duaneb55 had suggested.