New 350MP
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: New 350MP

New 350MP

Hi Y'all! At the tender age of 70, after 9 previous years of retirement from the civil service in Correctional Services, I graduated from a one year Steel Fabrication program in June. I just wanted to learn new skills and I felt it was the best year of my retirement. As a present to myself I bought a new Lincoln 350MP. We briefly went over some of the modes in class but did mostly solid wire, stick and a touch of flux core. The owners manual is not clear in describing the Power Mode but refers to it a number of times. After some thought it appears it is at least including Mode #5, where both WFS and Voltage are adjusted independently. Is it that simple, or am I missing something? It is the same machine model we used at the college but we never discussed in any detail the various built-in program numbers on that machine. However I'm starting to play with it and am so impressed with it. .I plan to take up an offer from one of the instructors to come by and show me a few things that were not in the course competencies. There are so many different settings for different wire sizes, gas differences and material. Spray and pulse are exciting options and I have yet to try proper welding using those techniques.

I'm sure that an aluminum gun is going to be quite expensive, if I decide to obtain one at a later time.

Anyone else impressed with the 350MP??

Re: New 350MP

Ive been welding with mine for ten years now.. I love it! Does aluminum especially well with a spool gun.

Thanks for the reply - do you understand the "Power mode"?

• Power Mode® maintains a stable, smooth arc for short arc welding on thin material—great arc length control for aluminum welding. From the Lincoln 350mp manual.

More detailed info about Lincoln's Powermode technology.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ture/NX260.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

After reading the manual- Mode #5 and #6 are as you say- just that simple: it turns the 350p in to the old standard simple wire feed controls. You can adjust the wire speed and the Voltage will not change until you adjust it.

Seems as though every other mode relies on the Lincoln Power Mode technology and are synergic: "the WFS is preset and the voltage is preset only once. Now, when the WFS is changed, the voltage will change with it, so that the arc appearance and arc length will stay the same without the necessity to re-adjust the voltage."

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...n3/im10105.pdf

Mode 5 seems to be geared toward Spoolgun use: Non-Synergic Weld Modes (Mode 5)
    • Voltage is adjustable at the power source. The right control knob on the power source will adjust the voltage that is displayed in the meter directly above it.
    • The left Display (WFS / AMPS) on the POWER MIG® 350MP will have 4 dashes (----) to indi- cate that the left control knob on the power source is inactive. Wire Feed Speed is set at the Spool Gun.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Thanks to all the replies . I had sone more searching and did find the Lincoln literature on it-- which was also provided by Broccolli1 (thanks).I now understand the basics and also found the mode on the front of the 350 .. I've been away from this site for good reason but the members have been very helpful. I appreciate the assistance of the experienced welders. This is "the" site for welding issues and I hope to be on it frequently. Thanks again, Allan

New 350MP

I passed my recertification test a few years back for my all position structural stick welding ticket using a 350mp. For a single phase machine, I thought it welded quite nice. Took me a bit to get my arc dialled in to where I liked it. There was lots of detail in the menu and I didn't have a manual in front of me but I figured it out.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding