Was given a short hood today
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Was given a short hood today

Long story short a friend had bought a short hood but had a blown motor and needs a full restoration and didn't want to get involved with it so he gave it to me. My one question is I have a complete f163 sitting in my shop should I use this motor or rebuild the original 162, Name:  20170827_180247.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  197.1 KBName:  20170827_180240.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  205.2 KBName:  20170827_180303.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  110.3 KB

Re: Was given a short hood today

Fast and cheaper using the F163
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

Yea a buddy if mine put a thought in my head that it's a perfect candidate for a diesel swap too

Depends on how much you wanna sink into it.. is the motor frozen? Valves stuck? If not I'd see if it's got compression then try n get spark... after that just add gas and you might have something for cheap! Otherwise yes a 163 will work with that generator.

Motor is toast holes in 2 of the pistons guy I got it off if couldn't get it to run pulled the head and it was a mess I have a complete f163 sitting up in my shop

Tear that engine apart for a closer inspection. Holes in pistons arent the end of the story. The Magnaflux tells the tale.
    If you have a good block crank and rods it can be sleeved and bored and regroup.Did the holes come from leaning or dropped valves ?

Or perhaps..... ona them thar mechanicalzist beating the piston with something stuck in that thar hole trying to " loosen up' a stuck engine ? Seen that one before.People of Walmart meets Snap-On
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-31-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Bonzoo, how does a flathead engine "drop" a valve?
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Hobart G-213
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw