Hurricane Harvey
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hurricane Harvey

Hope all the folks in southeast Texas/southwest Louisiana come through Harvey OK. (Mods please move this if it is not in an appropriate place)

Re: Hurricane Harvey

speaking of hurricnes, i heard a interesitng statistic a while back. more people die from female named hurricanes. even when the severity of the hurricanes is factored in the equation. reason given is: the people are warned of a hurricane, told to take cover. but most female names sound friendlier, so some people dont take it as threatening w/ a female name, as most male names. so they dont take cover or prepare as well. therefore they get caught off guard more often, = more fatalities. also, it said all hurricanes used to have all male names, until about early mid 70s, if i remeber right. it was changed to have female names as not to discriminate of course about then

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    speaking of hurricnes, i heard a interesitng statistic a while back. more people die from female named hurricanes. even when the severity of the hurricanes is factored in the equation. reason given is: the people are warned of a hurricane, told to take cover. but most female names sound friendlier, so some people dont take it as threatening w/ a female name, as most male names. so they dont take cover or prepare as well. therefore they get caught off guard more often, = more fatalities. also, it said all hurricanes used to have all male names, until about early mid 70s, if i remeber right. it was changed to have female names as not to discriminate of course about then

what if the next hurricane is named......."Hillary".......................I predict complete destruction of the country.................

right. that one could be declared a natural disaster before it even hits.

I just talked to a friend in Port Arthur, TX last night. His home is flooded and his daughter's home is flooded. Utter misery...
    Home tinkerer and old tool junkie

Lincoln SP 135 Plus
    Ĺincoln Idealarc 250/250
    AHP AlphaTIG 200
    Viper Cut 30 Plasma
    Harris O/A Port-A-Torch
    Coal forge & anvil