New to me SA200 barnfind
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New to me SA200 barnfind

I had seen this machine sitting in a friends barn a while back and inquired about it and it had sit a few years without running. It was covered in sawdust and was lit like a dungeon. After asking a few times what he wanted and him asking what I would give I asked what he had in it and he said more than it was worth and he had $800 in it. I offered $550 for it and he said it was too much so I picked it up for about $400. Luckily the fuel was shut off cause it had some real funky stuff in the tank.

The hood and doors have a few minor dings and someone notch the bottom of the doors so they would open in the bed of a truck it seems. Also it is a light grey color. I believe if I looked up the numbers properly it is a 1971 model year.

I know they are worth some money and in my 25+ years of welding I have never owned or even ran one of these machines. I run a Trailblazer and a 302 legend right now.

Hopefully it will fire up but appears to not have a good spark..I did see a faint one off a plug but they need changed out.

Re: New to me SA200 barnfind

Take the commutator cove off and check to see that the brushes are free and suck out all the debris and dirt daubers out before you crank it much. Take it slow and easy. Download the manual and look it over. Looks like a good machine. Check the mag points, they might be crusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Wow,

That's a nice find for a good price.

It looks almost perfectly unaltered.

I'll bet you have that up and running pretty quickly.

It looks just like one an old boss of mine had, that I used for a few years (years ago), and never had an issue during all that time of extensive use, other than my not noticing the fuel bowl filter getting clogged once, if I recall correctly.

Please do let us all know how it goes.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Heck of a find! You plan on restoring it or....?

Right now I'm going to get it up and running and use it if I can. I pulled the carb and got it cleaned out although it was pretty dang clean but I tore the bowl gasket when taking it apart so a new gasket of rebuild kit will be on order. I also took the exciter cover off and it was clean inside except for a little dust. Pulled the mag cap and the rotor and lugs on lugs inside cap were crusty a little cleaning and it appears to be getting a better spark.

Put new Gaskets in the carb and added a new filter and it started right up. No Output so I pulled the exciter cover and cleaned the armature and flashed the field after a relocation of a spring it went to high idle like it was supposed to and welded nicely. I'm getting about 110-112 volts output on the aux. at welding speed.

And I will say it does have a nice smooth arc!

They are great machines. You can see what everyone said is true now.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Great to hear! Definitely a great score!

Suggestion!!!! DO NOT crank that machine with a plug wire off to check spark. That is a magneto and the spark voltage can soar very high, 50-75K volts and destroy the internal spark transformer. Sure, pull a plug and bond the plug's metal case to the body of the engine and then test for spark. You doubt the transformer can fail? Ask me how I know :-)

Yes I checked for spark with a plug in the wire and grounded to the engine. Everything seems to be working except for the voltage regulator or alternator. I may see about putting a one wire alt on it if possible. Also it seems to be burning some oil. It sat for 7 years without being ran so maybe it has a stuck oil ring or just might need a rering kit before long.
    Last edited by ShaneG.; 09-12-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG. View Post
    Yes I checked for spark with a plug in the wire and grounded to the engine. Everything seems to be working except for the voltage regulator or alternator. I may see about putting a one wire alt on it if possible. Also it seems to be burning some oil. It sat for 7 years without being ran so maybe it has a stuck oil ring or just might need a rering kit before long.
    Just a heads up on a one wire alternator, some off them will not charge or begin charging until they reach a certain rpm. I know that some that were designed for Chevy motors had to reach an rpm above about 2,000 to 2,100 before they began charging. Once they reached that threshold rpm, they would start charging and continue to do so even if the rpms dropped below that threshold. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG. View Post
    I may see about putting a one wire alt on it if possible. Al
    Why a one wire? A 3-wire with internal reg is a better choise in my opinion. Very simple to wire and will eliminate any need to run a minimun rpm to initiate charging. I put a 3-wire 10-SI on mine and no issues. It's been covered a few times in the forum. Your machine is interesting in that Its got the Octagon barrel, an R 57 idler with the cable lugs on the front panel. I think its a rare combination. They moved the cable lugs to the side and went to the electronic idler soon after your machine was built. Nice find.
    Last edited by Blackslacks; 09-12-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)

Another thing to consider with 1 wire alternators is parts availability. Most parts store do not stock parts for these alternators. Not a problem if you do not depend on this welder. It is getting harder to find a parts store that sells rebuild parts for ANY alternator any more. 3 wire alternators sense battery voltage to more accurately determine charge rate. Good luck!

Napa part # pn 213-4011sw 63 amp one wire ac delco

I need to start finding friends like that.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I need to start finding friends like that.
    Seriously me too.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

I have been running it the last few days pretty good and so far it has done great. It is leaking a small amount of oil from around the mag or front cover area but nothing severe...I figured gaskets would start seeping.

The top mag mount bolt has some cork gasket behind that flat washer. That bolt is open to the timing cover/gear area

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I'll have to look into that and see if it is leaking around there somewhere. I got a local guy that can rebuild the alternator I'll just have to find another external regulator or switch it over to internal. I had thought about the one wire not spinning fast enough to start charging.....got the same problem on an old ford backhoe.

I have a one wire on my 66 Redface and it charges fine it was a #7127SE from a local alternator shop

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210