Champion 16 low amps
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Champion 16 low amps

I have a 1998 champion 16 generator welder. It runs and welds great but what concerns me is that the amperage always seems like it has to be very high. For example, a 7018 3/32 should only need like 90 amps but i need to set the machine to about 140 to get a decent weld. Its also very hard to strike an arc with this machine. The stick constantly gets stuck and im not THAT much of a beginner welder. Its super frustrating. My leads are 100 ft but 0/1 wire so i dont think its a lead issue.

Re: Champion 16 low amps

not familiar w/ that machine, but if the rpms are too low while welding, it could cause what ur describing

It sounds like its revving up to the right rpm. It sure is loud. I guess i would need to find out the correct rpm and then somehow measure the rpm while its running?

Harbor freight sells a phototach that I can testify is very accurate because when I bought it I checked it against a 1750RPM elec motor.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

But on a gas motor where would i point a phototach?

Okay did some more digging. I ordered one of those tachs that wraps a wire around the sparkplug wire. And maybe il grab a phototach too.

i got one of those laser tachs off fleabay for about $15. works great
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)

Quote Originally Posted by Octaneforce View Post
    But on a gas motor where would i point a phototach?
    You put a small piece of reflective tape on any part attached directly to the crankshaft.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Motor is reading 3400rpm and then bumps down to 2400 during auto idle. With a load you can hear the motor work a little harder but rpms dont seem to drop. Maybe 3350 if i hold a stick against the metal and let it cook. From what ive read this motor peaks around 3600rpm so it seems to be spinning up fast enough. Its an onan performer 16 2 cylinder.

Also just checked the voltage at the plugs. With the auto idle off, at 3400 rpm im making correct voltage. Single pole is 120v and double pole is at 240v

You should see 3600 no load RPM at weld speed, and around 72 open circuit volts at the output lugs.
    Be sure there is almost the same no load OCV at the electrode holder and ground clamp as there is at the power source output.
    Then check for excessive voltage drop during arc load through your welding cables from output lugs on out to the electrode holder and ground clamp.
    You can use a short wire clamped along with your electrode and feed back along the electrode body then attach volt meter test lead to that wire and the other end to your ground clamp.
    This prevents damage to test lead/meter from arc/heat etc.
    Have a helper read arc/load voltage when welding. It would be helpful to know what your voltage is when burning 7018 and does the voltage spike when it sticks.
    Low current/voltage could be a number of things check your OCV at weld speed first then arc voltage.