Aluminum Marking with 45xp
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Aluminum Marking with 45xp

Can anyone post some pictures of marking letters on 1/4 aluminum with a 45xp. I am using 6061 and will have a light turn with the lathe after marking, I need about 1/2 in letters. Just wondered if anyone is doing any of this and any had any first hand experience.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

Re: Aluminum Marking with 45xp

I did, and I will certainly be using my scribe from now on.. Seems like straight air worked best..Bit foggy on that one.. I could try a bit later when I get time..
    I do like the 45xp but really my scribe pretty much kicks it's butt overall in marking.. I liked SS with argon pretty well. Been a few months since I tried any marking..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220si
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Hypertherm 45XP

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I did, and I will certainly be using my scribe from now on.. Seems like straight air worked best..Bit foggy on that one.. I could try a bit later when I get time..
    I do like the 45xp but really my scribe pretty much kicks it's butt overall in marking.. I liked SS with argon pretty well. Been a few months since I tried any marking..
    I figured you would have ran that 45xp through its paces and know what kind of quality I am looking for. I am trying to get a little of a ball mill look after I run a quick pass over the surface with a my lathe. I would have assumed argon would be better than the air? I know the 45xp marks steel pretty well, it takes a little work but have seen some pretty decent results.

I gave my Cutmaster 52 to a good friend since he pretty much had it all the time lately anyway, I was thinking of buying a bare 45xp to use on remote jobs, the gouging is needed, and possibly double duty for marking on the table. I already have plenty of hand torches, and machine torch on my table so don't know why I would need a full blown kit, save a little money.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

If you go to the www.hypertherm.com site and then go to the Powermax45 XP product page you can find videos of marking steel, stainless and aluminum. (link) https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/lea...metal-marking/

Aluminum works well with either air or argon (better with argon). There is some "fuzz" on the top that brushes off easily with scotchbrite or sandpaper. The marking process works best for plate layout, definition lines for marking, and lettering if your machine has good motion and height control (just like with cutting, the cuts are no nicer than the machines ability to maintain speed, motion and height). On my Plasmacam I limit the lettering to about 1/2" height (minimum) for best results.

You may also want to download the Powermax45 XP manual, there is a lot of cut info and pictures there regarding the marking process.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

The 45XP is worth owning,even if the marking is really not up to a level i can get with Scribe that is setup correctly..It will have some use for marking for me, but not my go to process by any means.. That said, for a portable unit running on a generator, the XP will be a great machine for you..(Yes with your 85 torch stuff.) Cable will be stiffer then standard torch, and you will lose the torch kill switch deal.. The difference in power use over your Cutmster 52 will show up when you start pulling a long arc. 26 pounds VS the 43 of the older cutmaster will be noticed..(and liked) Hypertherm did a good job on this unit, and the air purge is much easier to work then the older 85/65 machines.. one finger...
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220si
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Hypertherm 45XP

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I will be price checking these and probably pick one up soon. The bonus here is consumables I have stockpiled for the 85 will work for the 45xp. I do think the size and weight reduction will be a good thing.