TIG 175 squarewave
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

TIG 175 squarewave

Looking at a used machine. Will this tig weld aluminum up to 3/16? How thick steel will it right and stick weld. Thanks

Re: TIG 175 squarewave

.175 thick general rule 1 amp per thousandth of inch, duty cycle could be a issue depending on what your doing but it's a nice machine that will / should last a long time for most motorsport around house small fab work should be fine it really is a nice welder

So you are saying it will manage the material thickness but the duty cycle may make a large job a long slow process?

Pretty much If it's going to be fed a steady diet of .187 aluminum I would look for a 250 class machine occasionally welding up there it should be fine duty cycle is funky anyway alot of times if it's cooler out your duty cycle goes up I think they rate them at 104f for stick it probably be fine 3/32 1/8 7018 maybe around 70 - 110 amps weld til your bored

For hobbyist level use, in stick mode, one inch thick steel shouldn't be a problem as long as the operator skill level is up to the task.

On AC TIG to use all 175 amps, is going to require more than a 50 amp input circuit. At work the 50 amp breaker was tripping all the time. Asked for a 70 amp circuit. Got a 90 amp circuit instead. Never had a breaker tripping issue with the 90 amp circuit.

I am not fond of the Auto-balance, it tends to want to ball the tungsten severely. The adjustable balance that Lincoln added to the Precision TIG 225 makes it a nicer aluminum unit.

It doesn't bother me, but I'll point out that the post flow is a fixed 15 seconds.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

I bet that machine may struggle a little bit at 3/16"
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder