Everlast 221 long term review - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Everlast 221 long term review

Hey,

That unit seems fairly quiet alright, which many people will probably appreciate, especially if they listen to music while welding, like I do.

Yeah, for an HVAC guy, you'll undoubtedly have better looking beads soon with that machine. I mean, the synergic aspect undoubtedly makes things a little quicker and easier for a newbie. I haven't MIG welded for years now, and there was no synergic mode when I did, so I'm a little curious about how close that feature does with the auto settings.

Hopefully CHUCKE2009 will get one of these to demonstrate soon, so we can all see it put through the typical welding paces in one standard video.
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 09-13-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by XMilitary View Post
    On behalf of the internutz, we thank you for the willingness to schill.
    Ha anytime! Should have some more tonight with 6011 electrodes to test out the stick. That thing runs super smooth in mig mode guys. I suck at welding, and was able to get the bacon sound and run some fairly nice beads, with good penetration in under 10 minutes. Keeps the arc very steady throughout. Did leave more prominent welds on cold metal, but I can always adjust the starting amps for that. I'm pleased so far, this thing is nice to work with.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Quote Originally Posted by xmmancharl View Post
    Thanks for posting those photos!!!

Charl
    Check out the latest stuff if you still wonder about things Charl.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    How is it that you have this machine? I can't find it on sale anywhere, not even on the Everlast web site. is this a prototype?
    Louis, did you end up getting that harbor freight welder? I saw you asking about the Vulcan welders in another thread and figured I would ask how it's going with that.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Ha ha so it turns out you can MIG on a 20 amp breaker but if you wanna run 6011 at ~90 amps you need that 40

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Gee,

That MIG you were doing was only on 110. Nice to know it did as much with it.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Hey,

That unit seems fairly quiet alright, which many people will probably appreciate, especially if they listen to music while welding, like I do.

Yeah, for an HVAC guy, you'll undoubtedly have better looking beads soon with that machine. I mean, the synergic aspect undoubtedly makes things a little quicker and easier for a newbie. I haven't MIG welded for years now, and there was no synergic mode when I did, so I'm a little curious about how close that feature does with the auto settings.

Hopefully CHUCKE2009 will get one of these to demonstrate soon, so we can all see it put through the typical welding paces in one standard video.
    I sent a message to Bob the tig instructor doing all the vids, he says he's trying to get one for a demo too.

That would be very cool alright, XMil. Bob Moffat is a fresh face and an old pro too.

I'll bet he would break it down into a couple of videos, without too much time spent on the accessories, unboxing, etc., as is customary with CHUCKE2009.

I mean, the MIG side is probably much like the synergic 211i. So, no surprises will probably be seen there.

And then, if the two wave forms on the AC TIG side approximate my own 210EXT, it will be a slam dunk, so to speak, for Everlast, Asian producers, and the North American welding marketplace.

The unit seems fairly quiet already, from the video in this thread, although not a quiet as a 210EXT.

I sent a message to Bob the tig instructor doing all the vids, he says he's trying to get one for a demo too.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Gee,

That MIG you were doing was only on 110. Nice to know it did as much with it.
    Oh yes. I'm gonna throw 220 at it with some .030 wire and try to see what kind of penetration I get on 3/8 flat stock, butt welds, and corner welds as well. Maybe do some hard facing.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Well,

The 221STi is for sale on Amazon now.

And, gee, Aaron, you saved a bunch by pre-ordering before they were even on the water. Ha, ha, ha...

https://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Powe...8+Everlast+221

Name:  221 STi.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  54.5 KB
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 09-15-2017 at 12:23 AM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Yes, I certainly did. I was shocked to see how much it actually was. I did get in contact with them and I left a review on Amazon, they wanted to send me a footpedal for free, but I paid the $169 in the interest of impartiality

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Hey,

What a sport!

And Everlast too!
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

OK,

The Amazon price seems to be finding its orbit at around $2399, delivered.

Name:  2399.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  70.2 KB
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Of course, the $2399 price is more attractive.

So, maybe that's what we'll see as a lower, not-yet-in-stock-again price.
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 09-15-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Even at $2700 it is a whole lot for that price tag

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Weekly update: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0d36a45e02.jpg
    2 hours on the unit
    Things feel great! I had a good buddy of mine with several years experience welding over last night. He was dumb founded by the Everlast. Got some good feedback from him about the unit and how he sees things. He was impressed with the options and how well it welded. He expected it to fall apart when he touched it. Surprises are nice. I'm a happy camper with things now.
    Lessons learned: don't stick on a 20 amp fuse, your wife doesn't like it when the tv shuts off mid show.
    MIG process is slick as **** man. I feel infinitely more confident in picking up a gun and trusting my welds than just a week ago.
    F$&k flux core. What a nasty process. It has its place, I'm not a pro, but I'm also not a fan of that hideous stuff.
    I'm going to get all my gas cylinders of 75/25, trip mix, and Ar this week. Get the tig going and try out some aluminum can shenanigans.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

I need to start stocking gases, any recommendations?

I need to start stocking gases, any recommendations?
    I'm a little unclear on what exactly you are asking. I could interpret that as which gases should you get, where should you shop, what size cylinder to buy? What specifically are you asking me if you don't mind?

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Which gases? I plan to work with steel/stainless/iron/aluminum. I have an airgas account but haven't decided what to get yet.

Which gases? I plan to work with steel/stainless/iron/aluminum. I have an airgas account but haven't decided what to get yet.
    Two things, you want Argon as well as 75/25 or 80/20. Whichever you prefer for the C25 gas. Check out chucke2009 s video on the gas selection and how to get tanks as well. I went with another supplier because Airgas was 90 dollars more on just the tank alone man. Big business comes with "franchise tax" after all.

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Use c02 no mix...

manifold for gas in, no changing gas lines.

one line argon, other c02, other 2 lines connect back of welders

Name:  manifoldaa.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  34.7 KB

Charl
    EVERLAST 211Si 2016

Yeah,

And the inclusion of the Triangle waveform, along with the Squarewave for AC TIG is brilliant.

Most advanced-featured TIG units include four waveforms, which seems like twice as many as most will actually use. And a full-featured AC TIG unit will have only one standard wave form: Squarewave, which is good for general general purposes, which is about half as many as I like.

I think the single addition of a Triangle wave is very helpful, especially for novice or intermediate AC TIG welders, like me.

The Triangle wave is helpful to me in constraining the heat and beads on thinner aluminum, i.e., I dont worry about the metal dropping out on me or nipping edges off with the Triangle wave.

I don't need or want Soft Square or Sine wave, even though my 210EXT does have three wave forms. I just like Squarewave for bringing the heat for general purposes, and then the Triangle wave for more delicate times.

So, I think this unit is a smart one, feature-wise.
    Interesting. Triangle wave. I'll have read up that. ( new to me ) For delicate work I simply adjust the wave form, Use Pulse and or smaller tungsten.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

The cooling effect of the wave form affects the bead profile and control of the puddle.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Interesting. Triangle wave. I'll have read up that. ( new to me ) For delicate work I simply adjust the wave form, Use Pulse and or smaller tungsten.
    Have only tried the mig and stick on the machine thus far. Incase anyone didn't know, a wedding is a soul sucking event in terms of finances. Had just enough free cash to get wire and gas when it got here. I'll slap some argon in there eventually and play around with it to see. Any thoughts on what metal you would like to see hit with the triangle?

Everlast PowerMTS221 sti

Quote Originally Posted by xmmancharl View Post
    Use c02 no mix...

manifold for gas in, no changing gas lines.

one line argon, other c02, other 2 lines connect back of welders

Name:  manifoldaa.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  34.7 KBCharl
    Every once and awhile one can actually get something worthwhile from WeldingWeb.

Thanks.