Big 50 Diesel - maintenance and "restoration"
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Big 50 Diesel - maintenance and "restoration"

I picked up a 1988 Big 50 diesel this week. Its got 6500 hrs on it, but it runs good, welds great, and everything works. It does have the AC and CV options.

I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys would do maintenance wise at these kind of hours. My plan is to get everything functional/reliable and repaint the sheet metal.

Engine wise - I'll be changing all the fluids, new radiator hoses, inspect and reseal the water pump, and reseal the front cover where its leaking oil. I'll check the valve clearances, and may get the IP and injectors inspected. Oil pressure reads 55-60 psi, and it starts and runs great. Just a hint of white smoke on cold start w/o using glow plugs.

Generator - replace the brushes, clean slip rings, replace the bearing in the end of the generator.

Control panel - Engine gauges are going to get updated to Murphy gauges. I will duplicated the PC boards so I have a couple extra on hand, even though everything is functional now. Need to figure out why an additional switch was added for idle control, and why the remote current control switch is bypassed with a resistor.

Name:  20170906_163418.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  20170909_173557.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  20170909_194743.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  20170909_194816.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  98.5 KB
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    '68 SAE 300 motor generator
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Re: Big 50 Diesel - maintenance and "restoration"

What engine is in it?

The only constant in life is that there are never enough chains
    The only constant in life is there is never enough chains

Sounds like you pretty much got it covered ,
    a couple things i like to do to a "new" machine is inspect the hose/piping from air cleaner to engine good , clean blow by pipe/screen, "if its stopped up you will start to see a bunch of oil leaks" and take a good look in the fuel tank . If its dirty pull it and clean it out before you have to realy on this machine to run all day .

My personal experience with injection pumps/injectors is if its running good , leave them alone . I have never taken a pump/injectors to a shop to be "checked" that didnt need a rebuild before it left . Of course you would be on top of your game with fuel system preventative maintenance , but be prepared to spend another thousand or 2 when you drop them off .

Looks like a Continental TMD 2.7. If it is I have a book for it with all the clearances and everything. I could dig around for a link (I think I found it somewhere and copied it) or maybe scan it for you if you need it.

The engine is a 4 cyl TMD27 Continental. 65hp or so.

Thanks dosswelding. I'm planning to replace the filter to intake rubber hose, and will check the blow by screen. Good point on the IP and injectors. It is running good now, and that's why I haven't decided on them. There are indications that the pump may have already been rebuilt, since there are remnants of what could have been a repair tag wired to one of the lines.
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

My TMD is a little bit of a pain if it happens to run out of fuel. I try not let it, but stuff happens. It requires you to bleed air out at the injectors to start without ether most times. Mine also smokes a hair when it starts and when it shuts off.

Another thing i just thought of , is to check the little clamps that hold the injector lines if that engine has any . Anything that is loose or rubbing the lines will rub a hole in them in no time . Also it might be a good idea to double check filter part numbers against oem #'s , you'd be amazed at how many machines i have come across over the year's that have the wrong filters installed .
    " im talking like I'm a old man, lol"
    I guess this is from bad filter interchanges and such .

I thought about putting a low level float switch in the bottom of the tank. That would probably help avoid running it dry.
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

The return lines off the injectors are kind of irritating to fool with. There is little room to get them on their nipple right. I read about a few things about them before I bought mine. One guy said his boss had your machine with the TMD in it. He traded it with 27,000 hours because he wanted more auxiliary AC. Who knows how much of that to believe. Engine parts can be scarce seems like. BW Parts acted like they might be looking into finding some sources a year or so ago.

Parts seem kind of hard to come by, but I've found a few sites that have them. Not cheap though.

I did find both a parts manual and a overhaul manual with any specs I need.

I didn't know anything about the engine before I bought the welder. I just knew when I tested it and welded with it, the engine started great, and ran smooth.

The biggest expense could be the PC boards, but Miller has kindly provided both a schematic and a bill of materials in the manual. I have some experience in that area, so making a couple extra of each board hopefully wont be too difficult.

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

I am curios to know if you think it takes a lot of juice to turn it over or not. Seems like mine takes a really good battery.

I think it does. With 20.5:1 compression, a direct drive starter, and the weight of the rotor to spin up to speed it sure should.

This welder came with a 4 year old Napa group 24 battery with 650 CCA's. It lights right off on the first crank, but it sure wasn't easy on the battery. It also has a thin positive cable going to the starter. That is going to be upgraded to1/0 cable most likely and a Cat 950 cca group 24 battery.

What welder do you have with a TMD in it?

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

My SA-250 has the TMD in it. I love it so far. I love mine so far. Rear main seal probably should be replaced at some point but it only stays a little oily with no adding between oil changes. My oil pressure is a little higher than your though.

I guess I though all the 250's had Perkins. Interesting. How many hours on your machine?

Book says 40-60 psi on oil pressure high idle. Are you using 15w-40 in yours?

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

I read that in the book. I do run 15W-40 in it. I think the TMD was an option to the Perkins and of course the gas engine. Sounds like the TMD was the most pricey option on engine back then.

These are good machines, seen many of them. It has the Teledyne Continental TMD-27 diesel that produces 38 H.P.
    I am not sure why you want to duplicate the boards, there very reliable. The generator bearing is also something you don't very often see fail, they can but its rare.
    The Miller part number is 053-390 however it can be purchased at any bearing supply.
    Your machine should already have Murphy switch gauges on it.
    Your oil pressure at 55-60 psig when cold is right on. Slight smoke is normal at start, they did it when new, and it is a diesel so some smoke is normal.
    Testing the injectors and changing out the water pump/hoses and all filters is probably good preventive maintenance at 6500 hours.

Thanks dana gear. I figure while I'm going through this machine I might as well replace everything that I can. As for the boards, it cant hurt. It won't take much time, and if one fails in the future having spares on hand would be great.

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

Picture of the engine

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1505174671151.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  73.7 KB

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

Draining the coolant went about as expected. Only some of it ended up on the floor.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1505176484648.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  81.2 KB

Sent from Mobile
    Last edited by njs552; 09-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

And we do have play in the water pump. Looks like bearings are out.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1505177543236.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  80.1 KB

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

Somebody notched out the grill for one reason or another. I'm trying to source some similar quare punched expanded metal, but I haven't had much luck.

Any ideas? I think some woven wire mesh might be a decently close match.

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

Depending on how good you want it to look , you might could run it by a metal working shop and have them cut a repair section out on a plasma table. They could duplicate the squares . Or you could cut the whole section out and just replace it with expanded metal .

I think the plasma would warp the hell out of something that thin with that much cutting. I might bring it by a fab shop we use and see what they think though.

Cutting out the whole thing and replacing it might actually be better anyway.

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

I got the engine cleaned up some last night. I gave it a little bath with some engine cleaner and a pressure washer.

Not sure how to clean up the transformers and inductors and what not near the front of the machine. They are covered in a combination of spilled diesel and dirt. I'm guessing pressure washing them isn't the best idea?

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1505504758163.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1505504772524.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  89.9 KB

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

Wipe them off the best that you can, you can use mild cleaner ,but nothing with a solvent base.
    And yes pressure washing them is BAD.