Help with my Everlast Tig 185 DV- Will not weld aluminum - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Help with my Everlast Tig 185 DV- Will not weld aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by jca0951 View Post
    Is it just me, or is the tungsten oxidized all the way along it's length? I'm still thinking wrong gas (not that you purchased the wrong thing, but maybe it's bottled wrong or contaminated) or a major leak in the torch or connection somewhere. The tungsten shouldn't oxidize like that inside the torch.

Something janky definitely going on.

I'm with u on that unless his post flow is not enough or working

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    Is it just me, or is the tungsten oxidized all the way along it's length? I'm still thinking wrong gas (not that you purchased the wrong thing, but maybe it's bottled wrong or contaminated) or a major leak in the torch or connection somewhere. The tungsten shouldn't oxidize like that inside the torch.

Something janky definitely going on.
    Should i be able to hear gas coming out after i tap the pedal and let off and the post flow takes over. If so i hear a burst of gas right when i press the pedal but only for a second. I cannot hear any gas during post flow.

Yeah,

Maybe you have a pedal problem.

You can easily rule that out by attaching a 2T/4T switch onto your torch for some DC TIG testing. I mean, that unit did come with a 2T torch switch too, I believe.

Everlast TIG units come with a standard foot pedal that many people quickly do upgrade to the 3rd-party SSC ones, as I did.

Should i be able to hear gas coming out after i tap the pedal and let off and the post flow takes over. If so i hear a burst of gas right when i press the pedal but only for a second. I cannot hear any gas during post flow.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Ive always heard that on aluminum electrode is negative ground is positive.
    you run AC for aluminum .... so the polarity switches. thats why we call it ... alternating.

I have never been in a situation, or heard of, running GTAW on reverse polarity ... always Straight polarity, electrode negative.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Yes it is supposed to be aluminum. I got it from home Depot (only because I work there) and I checked into their stuff which is supplied by crown bolt and it is supposed to be decent aluminum. I have successfully welded other aluminum that I got from the steel yard and 6061 that I ordered online. I wonder if this really isn't aluminum or is coated in something bad. I may get another piece from the steel yard and try it.
    I don't see any markings on it, its probably easy to bend aluminum, or architectural aluminum. If you welded before with known good material before,and the only difference is the material, just get some more known good aluminum. You bought a nice welder, buy some good material. I've always wondered what kind of aluminum was on the rack at tractor supply, and Home depot. Now I know. I've had some structural extruded aluminum that just wouldn't weld, even after sanding off anodizing,

Name:  j01-moreaboutaluminumd1-gis.png
Views: 117
Size:  25.2 KB
    half circle =weldable
    full circle = excellent weldability
    None = ???

borrowed from mcmaster-carr
    hope it helps
    Last edited by albrightree; 09-12-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: missing key
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

You should hear gas flowing right away when you hit the pedal, and continue hearing the flow, as long as you are on the pedal. Let's see some beads on steel.... if they are crappy, then you've got funky gas.

Done some aluminum mig weld

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    You should hear gas flowing right away when you hit the pedal, and continue hearing the flow, as long as you are on the pedal. Let's see some beads on steel.... if they are crappy, then you've got funky gas.
    I cannot hear the flow of gas. Only an initial burst for about 1 second and then it goes silent.

did you spray soapy water on your regulator and fittings to see if you have a leak yet?
    Did you up the volume on the regulator to 40-50 to see if it gets better to compensate for a leak that you may have?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

Quote Originally Posted by mohdnawi838 View Post
    Done some aluminum mig weld
    I am sorry wrong forum!

If you can switch leads, balance settings would be affected. To me it sounds like you aren't using enough heat to get started.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I cannot hear the flow of gas. Only an initial burst for about 1 second and then it goes silent.
    Aha... so, it appears that the gas solenoid is not staying open after the initial zap. Suggest disconnecting the pedal, so you can check to see if the on/off switch, and potentiometer are working correctly. Do you have a schematic for the pedal wiring? If not, you can find the pinouts for the pedal connector, here. You can check the on/off switch continuity and resistance of the pot. Once you have done that, and report on what you find, I can offer other troubleshooting options.

It looks like you should get continuity between pin 1 and pin 2 when the pedal switch is closed.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 09-13-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Might need to hold it up to your face or ear to feel the post flow. Crank up the flow to 40 so u can hear it better. Turn post flow to 5-6 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Might need to hold it up to your face or ear to feel the post flow. Crank up the flow to 40 so u can hear it better. Turn post flow to 5-6 sec.
    Post flow occurs after the arc is stopped/broken. But, it appears that lack of gas flow, during arcing, is the problem, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Post flow occurs after the arc is stopped/broken. But, it appears that lack of gas flow, during arcing, is the problem, here.
    I talked to Everlast Tech today. He said that it is normal to not hear the gas while welding. The initial burst is from the pressure in the line but he believes that i have bad gas. He says they have had a really bad problem with bad gas lately including with the comapany i am using. I am going to track down the gas problem and see if i can get it fixed. He reassured me that the machine is working just fine and he is sure it is a bad gas.

I talked to Everlast Tech today. He said that it is normal to not hear the gas while welding. The initial burst is from the pressure in the line but he believes that i have bad gas. He says they have had a really bad problem with bad gas lately including with the comapany i am using. I am going to track down the gas problem and see if i can get it fixed. He reassured me that the machine is working just fine and he is sure it is a bad gas.
    See post #26

U should be able to hear gas a little also depending on how much gas u use. Let me know if u hear gas while welding and post flow. I think he's on a twelve cup so pry 30-40 cfhhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2nFNklm8jjs

Gee,

Bad gas sure seems like a insidious problem.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Of course you can't hear the gas flow, while welding, since the arc makes too much noise. But, if you have normal hearing, you should definitely be able to hear gas flow after you have initiated the gas to effect an adequate pre-flow. Just don't stab yourself when bringing the torch close to your ear.

If you have, indeed, had multiple bad cylinders of gas, I would not hesitate to file against your supplier for the cost of the gas, including your lost time, unless he/she volunteers to make amends, i.e., numerous freebies to appease.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 09-14-2017 at 02:52 AM.

Once I had moved my welder, and set up in a hurry. I had similar symptoms. After a major struggle, I got the piece welded. I discovered a fitting not tight in the gas line entering the welder. 1 turn with a wrench, it worked perfectly. Odds are small you have bad gas. If they had ten bottles filled with bad stuff, there would be ten welders beating on their door. I'm thinking leak, or technique.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Yeah,

Shovelon will ofter recommend that people get a TIG torch flow checker.

I did buy one some time back, just because they're a real cheap way to rule-out torch/hose/fitting problems.

Name:  Meter.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  60.8 KB
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    U should be able to hear gas a little also depending on how much gas u use. Let me know if u hear gas while welding and post flow. I think he's on a twelve cup so pry 30-40 cfhhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2nFNklm8jjs
    Sorry man but I'm going with everlast's recommendations. This all started right after I put the very second bottle of gas on my machine. I have checked every fitting on the machine and tank. None of them leak at all. He also said that I should not really be able to hear has. The cup I am using is a number 6 and he said 12-15 cfh is plenty. He said I may actually be using too much at 20 cfh. Sorry dude but I gotta go with the manufacturers opinion and the guy i talked to is a Tig welder himself. He said everything I told him pointed to bad gas. He said they had a real bad problem all over the country with it.