Wtb: Shaving stuff
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wtb: Shaving stuff

Yup. Totally not welding related, but I know we have some actual men here who shave, and not with those sissy store brand plastic razors.

I'm looking for the following:

-Lather bowls
    -Badger brushes. Porcelain or horn handles only
    -Dual Edged safety razors

Don't want to buy on eBay. What do you guys have hiding out there??
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Re: Wtb: Shaving stuff

Dollar shave club ?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

Quote Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
    Yup. Totally not welding related, but I know we have some actual men here who shave, and not with those sissy store brand plastic razors.

I'm looking for the following:

-Lather bowls
    -Badger brushes. Porcelain or horn handles only
    -Dual Edged safety razors

Don't want to buy on eBay. What do you guys have hiding out there??
    I moved into an older home with a bunch of stuff left behind by the previous owners. Give me some time and I will let you know if I have any of the stuff you are looking for. I do know that they left behind a manual breast pump collector in case you would be interested in it. No joke, I am totally serious!

Look into Bluebeards revenge scimitar for a safety razor. I'd offer mine, but it's my back up. I've got a straight I could part with though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i used a shaving brush and cup for many years. the cup is sold by old spice;it's heavy porcelain and will last a few lifetimes if it's not dropped. on occasion i see them in the chain drugstores along with the hockey puck soap that fits the cup. the brush and straight razor i got from hoffritz a specialty store that sold products from germany/switzerland. i doubt they're still in business. the new go to place is amazon. just for kicks i checked and they have a selection of brushes for less than 20. my heavy corncob handle dual edged safety razor belonged to my father and is made by gillette. those sissy triple bladed plastic razors with disposable blade cartridges are far superior imho and it's what i use now.
    Last edited by docwelder; 09-12-2017 at 04:52 AM.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Absolutely. You let me know what's there and we'll go from there. I'll pass on the milking machine.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by smawgmaw View Post
    I moved into an older home with a bunch of stuff left behind by the previous owners. Give me some time and I will let you know if I have any of the stuff you are looking for. I do know that they left behind a manual breast pump collector in case you would be interested in it. No joke, I am totally serious!
    Absolutely. You let me know what's there and we'll go from there. I'll pass on the milking machine.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Look into Bluebeards revenge scimitar for a safety razor. I'd offer mine, but it's my back up. I've got a straight I could part with though

No thanks on the straight, Im not that daring yet, although one day Id like to learn. How do you like that Bluebeard razor? Open comb, or closed? Aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    those sissy triple bladed plastic razors with disposable blade cartridges are far superior imho and it's what i use now.
    Blasphemy. My Merkur 34 with a Feather Japan blade is the closest shave Ive had yet. And less irritation than a Gillette Mach 3 or equivalent.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

I goto battle in the morning with an electric razor, and I have a few different brands with different heads, if I shave at 8am by noon I have an afternoon shadow...I tried a bunch of different disposable shavers and a handful of shaving creams and gels , none would cut that close and too many nicks trying to get close, geez If I used a straight razor Id probably bleed myself out...if I didnt shave for a month I could look like ZZ top...I use to watch the barber use a straight edge on customers..all I can say is he had some great skill and the customer must of had some big trust in him...

Harry's razors. Best I've ever seen.

https://www.harrys.com
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Quote Originally Posted by storeman View Post
    Harry's razors. Best I've ever seen.

https://www.harrys.com
    I like their commercials....how do they cut a thick heavy beard?..how long does one of their blade cartridges last?
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.

The Bluebeard revenge razor isnt an open comb. It's a fairly sturdy piece that is balanced well. My ONLY complaint is the shaft is nice polished Stainless, which, if you get get shaving cream or soap on your hands or the handle it becomes a bit difficult to grip.

But pair it with a feather blade and it almost glides over the skin even though the coarsest hair

The Bluebeard revenge razor isnt an open comb. It's a fairly sturdy piece that is balanced well. My ONLY complaint is the shaft is nice polished Stainless, which, if you get get shaving cream or soap on your hands or the handle it becomes a bit difficult to grip.

But pair it with a feather blade and it almost glides over the skin even though the coarsest hair

Nice. I'll definitely look into that. Would you like a new handle for it?
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

ill take a looksy at that, im open to something that works and wont look like freddy kruger shaved me....the electric shaver does toughen up the skin, not something I like around the face ...but never got nicked by electric..
    are you talking the double edged one or the straight edged one? do you have a link to the one your talking about? thanks..
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.

New handle... Not really... I'd like if it was lightly knurled or something

Here is the one I got

The Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar Double Edge Razor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HOI674..._zmaUzbJ98ES35

I read through the reviews and found a few like this, at $50.00 bucks for the bluebeard name if its the same shaver...

1.0 out of 5 starsFashion victims do not read or you'll cringe
    ByModerniston August 18, 2016
    Guys, there is no such thing as a Bluebeard razor company, this is a rebranded Edwin Jagger. I have had it in my hand and inspected it carefully, it is the Edwin Jagger DB89. If you feel like paying 3 X the price to have the skulls on the top plate and the ridiculous name, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    ill take a looksy at that, im open to something that works and wont look like freddy kruger shaved me....the electric shaver does toughen up the skin, not something I like around the face ...but never got nicked by electric..
    are you talking the double edged one or the straight edged one? do you have a link to the one your talking about? thanks..
    The feather blades are the sharpest stainless blades on the planet. Even sharper than a scalpel. However, you don't have to press the razor to your face. Simply touch the razor to face with shaving cream, and make a smooth, slow, straight line, and poof! The hair is gone. You'll never go to a cartridge razor ever again.

Some razor heads are more aggressive than others. Be careful with that. Also, for starting out, don't go open comb, slant, or comb-less.

Here is the one I got

The Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar Double Edge Razor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HOI674..._zmaUzbJ98ES35

Looks like a nice piece. Almost like my Merkur.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

The feather blades are the sharpest stainless blades on the planet. Even sharper than a scalpel. However, you don't have to press the razor to your face. Simply touch the razor to face with shaving cream, and make a smooth, slow, straight line, and poof! The hair is gone. You'll never go to a cartridge razor ever again.

Some razor heads are more aggressive than others. Be careful with that. Also, for starting out, don't go open comb, slant, or comb-less.

Looks like a nice piece. Almost like my Merkur.
    its the learning curve im afraid of..lol...

If you start with a mild closed comb razor, say a Merkur 33C, https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Mer...azor_p_30.html ,you'll be fine. If you were to start off with a Muhle 41, yes... you're face will be hamburger in seconds. https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Muh...omb_p_334.html
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Also invest in a good cream or soap/croap. Cheap can spray foams are trash. Porasso white / green / red is great stuff to learn with. Won't break the bank, great shave, easy to learn to lather with.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Also invest in a good cream or soap/croap. Cheap can spray foams are trash. Porasso white / green / red is great stuff to learn with. Won't break the bank, great shave, easy to learn to lather with.
    does that Porasso use a cup and brush? and next question, does the type of brush make a difference?

If you start with a mild closed comb razor, say a Merkur 33C, https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Mer...azor_p_30.html ,you'll be fine. If you were to start off with a Muhle 41, yes... you're face will be hamburger in seconds. https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Muh...omb_p_334.html
    the merkur looks nice, I like the grip handle and made in germany..any place but china...lol..and the feather blades arent bad either a 10 pack for $4.50....

does that Porasso use a cup and brush? and next question, does the type of brush make a difference?
    Unless it comes out of an aerosol can, all shaving soaps / creams / croaps are brush and bowl. Some soaps react better and build a better lather to different brushes. There's horse hair, boar, badger, synthetic, and some others. Really it comes down to how the soap responds to the type of brush, how hard your water is, and how delicate your skin is. Applying the lather to your face with the brush will help with cleaning out your pores, and keeping you ingrown hair free and zit free. I prefer the badger hair myself.

the merkur looks nice, I like the grip handle and made in germany..any place but china...lol..and the feather blades arent bad either a 10 pack for $4.50....
    As a newb, don't start off with the Feathers. They are my go-to choice of blade and are the sharpest, but some people can't stand them. Go middle of the road, say a Gillete Black o'clock. They are gentle and sharp, but forgiving. Another great blade is the Voshod blade. Super smooth and teflon coated. Not the sharpest, but they last for around 4 shaves, are cheap, and won't murder your skin.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

I like their commercials....how do they cut a thick heavy beard?..how long does one of their blade cartridges last?
    I have a medium beard. Smooth cutting on me for 2 weeks or so. No obligation. Even my wife has switched over.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Unless it comes out of an aerosol can, all shaving soaps / creams / croaps are brush and bowl. Some soaps react better and build a better lather to different brushes. There's horse hair, boar, badger, synthetic, and some others. Really it comes down to how the soap responds to the type of brush, how hard your water is, and how delicate your skin is. Applying the lather to your face with the brush will help with cleaning out your pores, and keeping you ingrown hair free and zit free. I prefer the badger hair myself.

As a newb, don't start off with the Feathers. They are my go-to choice of blade and are the sharpest, but some people can't stand them. Go middle of the road, say a Gillete Black o'clock. They are gentle and sharp, but forgiving. Another great blade is the Voshod blade. Super smooth and teflon coated. Not the sharpest, but they last for around 4 shaves, are cheap, and won't murder your skin.
    ok, thank you for the advice, I never shaved with this type of shaver, just the disposables with shaving cream, and never had good results and not 100% happy with the electric shaving, im putting an order together at west coast shaving, ill just run it past you here if im missing anything, I gota run out but ill finish it up in a few hours when I get back..I have like a copper wire beard, I wouldnt say super sensitive skin, but taking chunks out hurts either way, ill go with badger hair brush, something middle of the road, they get pricey..and a big box of band aides..lol..ill start with some of the blades you mentioned, they also are including a few free blades in a selection...