Blue Bird
    Wilkinson Sword / Lord
    Merkur
    Gillette Black o'Clock
    Voshkod
    Astra Green
    Nacet Purple
    Feather

If you are of any anglo-saxon blood line, I do not recommend anything lower than the Gillette Black O'Clock blades. The Derby and Blue Bird are really tailored for Indian / Middle Eastern / Native American hair. The Wilkinson Sword, Lord, and Merkur blades are just "meh" for quite a few people, myself included. Some people rave about them, many don't.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Re: Wtb: Shaving stuff

been there,done that and gave the tee shirt away. my shaving routine has evolved to a faceful of hot ivory soap and cartridge triple blade razor. when you gotta shave twice a day i just want to get er done.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

55 years ago in OCS, I learned to shave in the shower, as we were allowed 3 minutes total for both. Later I used foam, etc at the sink. Now I shave in the shower again without a mirror using dial hard soap. We do have a water softener and I do not have a mustache or sideburns, so life is simple.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Field Artillery and Infantry, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, 250 amp gun and spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    K-zoo Startrite 30" vert BS
    K-zoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Quote Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
    Blades that I've used, from dullest to sharpest / harshest:

Derby
    Blue Bird
    Wilkinson Sword / Lord
    Merkur
    Gillette Black o'Clock
    Voshkod
    Astra Green
    Nacet Purple
    Feather

If you are of any anglo-saxon blood line, I do not recommend anything lower than the Gillette Black O'Clock blades. The Derby and Blue Bird are really tailored for Indian / Middle Eastern / Native American hair. The Wilkinson Sword, Lord, and Merkur blades are just "meh" for quite a few people, myself included. Some people rave about them, many don't.
    ok, here is what I have so far..merkur 33c classic safety razor, pure badger brush,gillette 7 oclock platinium blades, free from west coast-astra superior platinium blades, proraso pre and post cream sandlewood and shea butter...and I have plenty of bowls to use to make the lather...like I said earlier my beard is heavy and thick and it takes alot to keep it shaved...I didnt order it yet in case I have to change or add something..

Throw a pack of Nacets and feathers in that order - save on shipping. I think a small pack of each one is only a few bucks.

But yes, that sounds on point. The Porasso stuff is good stuff. Just make sure you give your razor a good scrubbing once in a while to get rid of soap residue.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Throw a pack of Nacets and feathers in that order - save on shipping. I think a small pack of each one is only a few bucks.

But yes, that sounds on point. The Porasso stuff is good stuff. Just make sure you give your razor a good scrubbing once in a while to get rid of soap residue.
    ok ill add a pack or 2 of those blades, I qualified for free shipping on this order....thank you for all the help ..ill put the order in now..
    tried to order but some message comes up that they are off line, ill try again tomorrow..ok tried again and it went through..sit back and wait for ups ...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-12-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    ok ill add a pack or 2 of those blades, I qualified for free shipping on this order....thank you for all the help ..ill put the order in now..
    tried to order but some message comes up that they are off line, ill try again tomorrow..ok tried again and it went through..sit back and wait for ups ...

Once you get into this, you'll enjoy the gentleman quality of taking care of yourself. Something About not being instant gratification in this microwave world does wonders.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

for once I would like to get a soothing close shave that doesnt leave your skin feeling like a lawn mower just ran you over...the barber does a great job, but those straight razors so close to the throat area isnt the most comfy feeling..

for once I would like to get a soothing close shave that doesnt leave your skin feeling like a lawn mower just ran you over...the barber does a great job, but those straight razors so close to the throat area isnt the most comfy feeling..
    Dont fret,what do you think your grandfather used?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

I used to be really really heavy into the wet shaving scene.
    I've probably owned and used 50 different DE razors and at least that many different blades.
    Finally settled on one razor. A vintage NOS merkur slant. Usually with Israeli made persona blades.

The slant isn't for the noob though, the blade is actually twisted by the razor so it's always cutting at an angle.
    Second favorite is a vintage Gillette fat boy adjustable set between 7-9, or a vintage Gillette red tip

My hands down favorite though, if I have the time is my Le Grelot straight razor, honed on a ultra fine natrual German thuringan stone, a custom silvertip brush I made, and Tabac soap.

Name:  merkur-slant-closeup.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  46d4ad15ebf551ffecf0e59c4b3d7b4f7155e2b7.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  52.4 KBName:  download (18).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  7.1 KBName:  images (17).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  6.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    Dont fret,what do you think your grandfather used?

Im sure thats what he used, but when you learn young how to use it correctly or after a few nasty nicks you get proficient with it....I manage to nick myself with the disposable safety razors..lol..theres a reason those barber signs have the red and white swirl on them...

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    I used to be really really heavy into the wet shaving scene.
    I've probably owned and used 50 different DE razors and at least that many different blades.
    Finally settled on one razor. A vintage NOS merkur slant. Usually with Israeli made persona blades.

The slant isn't for the noob though, the blade is actually twisted by the razor so it's always cutting at an angle.
    Second favorite is a vintage Gillette fat boy adjustable set between 7-9, or a vintage Gillette red tip

My hands down favorite though, if I have the time is my Le Grelot straight razor, honed on a ultra fine natrual German thuringan stone, a custom silvertip brush I made, and Tabac soap.

Name:  merkur-slant-closeup.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  46d4ad15ebf551ffecf0e59c4b3d7b4f7155e2b7.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  52.4 KBName:  download (18).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  7.1 KBName:  images (17).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  6.9 KB
    Would love to have one of those Fat Boys. Ive heard nothing but good stuff about the Tabac soap. Definitely one of the soaps I want to try in the future. As for the slant, Im not that brave - yet.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Would love to have one of those Fat Boys. Ive heard nothing but good stuff about the Tabac soap. Definitely one of the soaps I want to try in the future. As for the slant, Im not that brave - yet.
    heres a link you may like.. http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/fatboy.html

That is an awesome find. Now to find one of these at a flea market
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

That is an awesome find. Now to find one of these at a flea market
    I saw some of the prices they are asking for those older razors..they are worth more than gold..lol...

Check badger and blade forum. They have a really good classifieds section

west coast shaving just emailed me this buying guide to explain all kinds of stuff,, http://links.westcoastshaving.com/a/...dfa46238f2478a time to read a little..

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Check badger and blade forum. They have a really good classifieds section
    Didn't know that. THanks for the heads up.

west coast shaving just emailed me this buying guide to explain all kinds of stuff,, http://links.westcoastshaving.com/a/...dfa46238f2478a time to read a little..
    Nicely written. Those guys are on point.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Im sure thats what he used, but when you learn young how to use it correctly or after a few nasty nicks you get proficient with it....I manage to nick myself with the disposable safety razors..lol..theres a reason those barber signs have the red and white swirl on them...
    Indeed lol

Didn't know that. THanks for the heads up.

Nicely written. Those guys are on point.
    they seem like a good company to deal with and their pricing is almost the same as other places I checked, even amazon...it was an easy web sight to buy from, just the checkout last nite was a little funky at first, then it went through with no issue..I might have some good blood pictures to post after the first try with he razor..

Electric razor for me, I can't use a safety razor or even a 3 or 5 blade, I can't even shave 2 days in a row without getting really bad irritation, I hate shaving with a passion, I guess it's a good thing I'm blond otherwise with my perpetual 5 o'clock shadow I'd look like a hobo

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Proraso soap is "meh" for me. Better than the over priced art of shaving garbage. I got me some castle Forbes lavender, and while nether me or the wife are lavender fans, I find myself doing 7 passes, Just so i can smell it. It is on the spendy side though.

I shaved with a double edge for 3 years before I stepped up a straight. I, too, didn't like the idea of a bare razor that close to my throat.

Those merkur razors are, from what I hear, basically the best you can get. I wouldn't turn one down

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Electric razor for me, I can't use a safety razor or even a 3 or 5 blade, I can't even shave 2 days in a row without getting really bad irritation, I hate shaving with a passion, I guess it's a good thing I'm blond otherwise with my perpetual 5 o'clock shadow I'd look like a hobo

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    A friend that hated shaving went and got laser treatments on his face and now he doesnt have to shave, I guess they burn up where the hair grows from..

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Proraso soap is "meh" for me. Better than the over priced art of shaving garbage. I got me some castle Forbes lavender, and while nether me or the wife are lavender fans, I find myself doing 7 passes, Just so i can smell it. It is on the spendy side though.

I shaved with a double edge for 3 years before I stepped up a straight. I, too, didn't like the idea of a bare razor that close to my throat.

Those merkur razors are, from what I hear, basically the best you can get. I wouldn't turn one down

since I never shaved this way, I would start with advice from others that have, im sure I will try different blades and soap/creams to find the right combination that works for me..... I dont think ill ever goto the straight though..that just scares me too much...

Good idea. What blade/razor/soap combo that works well for someone, may not work well with you.

I am now to the point where I can get a close shave with my safety in about the same time I could with an electric or the Gillette 5 blade I used to have. I bought a case of Wilkinson sword blades(100 5 packs I think it was) in '12 and finished them about two years ago.

I'd advise getting a scuttle over a mug. It's basically a porcelain mug inside of a bowl, but one piece, with a fill spout. Fill it with hot water and it keeps your mug and later warm.