Wtb: Shaving stuff - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Wtb: Shaving stuff

I hate having to shave. The 2 jobs I had from 1981 to 1995, I was required to be clean shaven every day. I no longer work at either of those 2 jobs so now I may shave maybe 1 time in a week if that often. More often it is less than that!

well I got all the goodies from west coast shaving, they shipped pretty fast...I survived the first shave, definitely a learning curve on this..lol...I notice its a much closer shave than electric hence the blood letting in some areas, around the chin and mouth..any high spots on your skin arent anymore after you shave, hopefully after a few times it all evens out ..and the shaving cream leaves a soothing refreshing smell when your done, overall not bad..slow and steady is the way to go in the learning process...I started with the Gillette 7oclock blades..ill have to work up to the feather blades..
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-16-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Glad to hear you survived your first time. I remember my first time in dad's pickup truck with Linda-sue in summer of 67... oh wait. Wrong story. Bwuahahahaha

Any who, remember not to press. Let the razor do the work. Straight lines, no side to side motions. Get that hot water on your face pre-shave. Let's see some pictures of that lather and setup.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Quote Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
    Glad to hear you survived your first time. I remember my first time in dad's pickup truck with Linda-sue in summer of 67... oh wait. Wrong story. Bwuahahahaha

Any who, remember not to press. Let the razor do the work. Straight lines, no side to side motions. Get that hot water on your face pre-shave. Let's see some pictures of that lather and setup.
    hmm Id like to hear about linda sue..lol got a question of making lather with the cream, how much do you use to mix up in the bowl and how much water?, I was able to get a thin layer of lather, but not what I would say is correct...ill snap a few pics next shave, didnt want any evidence this time..lol

What kind of Porasso did you get? Tub or tube?
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

I got the tub of soft cream..I also watched a few you tube videos..very informative...I left out a few steps that ill include next time, how long if you use a hot wet towel to cover the shave area or does just splashing hot water on before work as well?

For the croap (cream soap in the tub). Fill the sink with hot water and let the brush soak for 1-2mins. Take the brush and flick the excess water off. Load the brush by swirling it in the croap. The brush should NOT be wet, but damp. How much you decide to load on your brush is up to you, and takes practice. Next, take your mixing bowl and put a small amount of water in it, about the size of a quarter. Go to town. Swirl swirl swirl. If you feel the brush dragging, like you're painting tar, add a few more drops of water. DROPS. Not scoops. Continue swirling. Once the lather is nice and thick you can either either pinch all trhe lather out of the brush and add to your face, or, apply to your face with the brush using a swirling motion. It will feel funny the first few times, but after a while it's nice. And, using the brush on your face will help with zits, ingrown hairs, and skin smoothness.

As for face and water, you don't have to do a hot cloth. It's nice, but not always practical. I simply run hot water on my face for a minute or so and then lather up.

Other men prefer AFTER a shower to shave. I like to use the shower as a natural aftershave using hot water to rinse my face. Some say this is a no no as you should use cold water to close your pores.
    Last edited by jontheturboguy; 09-16-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

ok, ill try that, I figure ill end up wasting some cream till I get the right amount to make enough lather for each shave and to judge the right consistency on the lather..

As with anything worth doing, it takes practice
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

well even the half *** way I did it, I only got a few bleeders, but the shave was so much closer than the electric and my skin didnt have the sand papery feel from the electric neither, I think this may be the daily routine unless I gota get out of the house fast..

For what it's worth, I tried an aftershave balm tonight. Havana. The best I can describe it... a Cuban cigar met Old Spice a barber, then had a night out at the most exotic places in Havana. Really too complex to describe past that, other than amazing.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

I have some very old single edge "blue" blades, made in Brooklyn NY. Anyone interested? $5 for a 5 pack plus actual shipping.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

For what it's worth, I tried an aftershave balm tonight. Havana. The best I can describe it... a Cuban cigar met Old Spice a barber, then had a night out at the most exotic places in Havana. Really too complex to describe past that, other than amazing.
    hmm sounds good, can I smoke it..lol..maybe they make a cigar that way..

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    I have some very old single edge "blue" blades, made in Brooklyn NY. Anyone interested? $5 for a 5 pack plus actual shipping.
    for some one that collects old shaving stuff they would sell, try ebay, some of the prices they get boggle my mind...

For the croap (cream soap in the tub). Fill the sink with hot water and let the brush soak for 1-2mins. Take the brush and flick the excess water off. Load the brush by swirling it in the croap. The brush should NOT be wet, but damp. How much you decide to load on your brush is up to you, and takes practice. Next, take your mixing bowl and put a small amount of water in it, about the size of a quarter. Go to town. Swirl swirl swirl. If you feel the brush dragging, like you're painting tar, add a few more drops of water. DROPS. Not scoops. Continue swirling. Once the lather is nice and thick you can either either pinch all trhe lather out of the brush and add to your face, or, apply to your face with the brush using a swirling motion. It will feel funny the first few times, but after a while it's nice. And, using the brush on your face will help with zits, ingrown hairs, and skin smoothness.

As for face and water, you don't have to do a hot cloth. It's nice, but not always practical. I simply run hot water on my face for a minute or so and then lather up.

Other men prefer AFTER a shower to shave. I like to use the shower as a natural aftershave using hot water to rinse my face. Some say this is a no no as you should use cold water to close your pores.
    I prefer to shave after a shower(actually, if I plan to shave, I'll shower.) the hot water and soap I use help soften the hair. To each his own though, but you are correct in the hot shower after shaving, It will actually help ingrown hairs start. Cold water, witch hazel, or other astringents, will close up pores, helping prevent ingrown hairs.

Invest in a good post shave product and either a stypic pencil and/or alum bar. You will cut yourself. With a safety razor, It probably won't be bad(i about filleted half my neck with a straight razor that had a bad hone) but having something to stop the bleeding will be nice. I cut my lip once with my safety and it bleed for about an hour

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I prefer to shave after a shower(actually, if I plan to shave, I'll shower.) the hot water and soap I use help soften the hair. To each his own though, but you are correct in the hot shower after shaving, It will actually help ingrown hairs start. Cold water, witch hazel, or other astringents, will close up pores, helping prevent ingrown hairs.

Invest in a good post shave product and either a stypic pencil and/or alum bar. You will cut yourself. With a safety razor, It probably won't be bad(i about filleted half my neck with a straight razor that had a bad hone) but having something to stop the bleeding will be nice. I cut my lip once with my safety and it bleed for about an hour

I goofed and ordered pre shaving cream and not shaving cream, I ordered the right stuff from amazon and should be here tomorrow, I only shaved twice so far, the second time I let a steaming hot towel sit on shave area for a few minutes and noticed the beard was not as hard to cut...I have to get the stypic pencil but have quick stop I use when cutting my dogs nails and they bleed just in case I get a big bleeder till I do...shaving 101 on hold till shaving cream gets here..

Found a 1920s era Gillette open comb razor. This is referred to as the Ivory soap model as it was part of Ivory soaps sales campaign. It is the same modem that was given to the Military.

This one had a broken handle, so I made a new stainless one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Also, check out badger and blade forms. Lots of good stuff there.

You can be as simple as rubbing a bar of soap on your face, shave, and cold water, to a whole hour long, 10 course shave. I'm a bit inbetween.

Also, check out badger and blade forms. Lots of good stuff there.

You can be as simple as rubbing a bar of soap on your face, shave, and cold water, to a whole hour long, 10 course shave. I'm a bit inbetween.

I have to take a look at those forums, a quick shave technique and a longer more luxurious one is what I want to learn so depending on time avail..in about 2 minutes I can be done with electric, but it does leave the skin rough and doesnt give that close blade shave...hopefully today amazon drops my package..

Found a 1920s era Gillette open comb razor. This is referred to as the Ivory soap model as it was part of Ivory soaps sales campaign. It is the same modem that was given to the Military.

This one had a broken handle, so I made a new stainless one.
    do you use anything like this? do you recommend? https://www.amazon.com/Osma-Alum-Blo...rds=OSMA+block

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    do you use anything like this? do you recommend? https://www.amazon.com/Osma-Alum-Blo...rds=OSMA+block
    I have one of these on hand:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cl...d-7974d3beeffc

But, knock on wood, I haven't needed it for a very very long time. Good soap, wet skin, sharp razor, straight passes, a steady light hand...... and you too will not need anything like this.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I have to take a look at those forums, a quick shave technique and a longer more luxurious one is what I want to learn so depending on time avail..in about 2 minutes I can be done with electric, but it does leave the skin rough and doesnt give that close blade shave...hopefully today amazon drops my package..
    If you take your time, pay attention to the grain and how it changes, and with a nice sharp blade, I'd bet in about 20 minutes and 3 or 4 passes you could get it so your face is butter smooth, no matter what way you rub it

Ever see one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Sure have! Those things are neat. I know a few guys online are still shaving with them and even making new shaving strops for them.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

If you take your time, pay attention to the grain and how it changes, and with a nice sharp blade, I'd bet in about 20 minutes and 3 or 4 passes you could get it so your face is butter smooth, no matter what way you rub it

thats the one problem I have, the grain of my beard goes in a few directions, it was easy to shave with electric as you can just swirl around in any direction and not get sliced up....amazon just dropped the shaving cream at my door..ill see how it goes with the proper shaving cream..