Wtb: Shaving stuff - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Wtb: Shaving stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    thats the one problem I have, the grain of my beard goes in a few directions, it was easy to shave with electric as you can just swirl around in any direction and not get sliced up....amazon just dropped the shaving cream at my door..ill see how it goes with the proper shaving cream..
    Yup, that's generally the way it goes. On my neck alone it goes a few different ways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

using the right shaving cream made a difference in how the razor glided over the skin, alot less drag from just using the pre shave cream..heres a few pics of the weapon and supplies..lolName:  P9190034.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  140.0 KBName:  P9190037.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  227.6 KBName:  P9190035.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  53.3 KBName:  P9190036.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  48.1 KB

Add twice that amount of creme. Whip that dude up till you paint your face thick with lather. Nice setup though!
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Quote Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
    Add twice that amount of creme. Whip that dude up till you paint your face thick with lather. Nice setup though!
    ok, I will do tomorrow morning..thanxu..I could shave every 8 hours if I want, my beard grows like crazy.....I get blood spots in the same areas, is that because I keep shaving off the thin scab before the skin can heal?

ok, I will do tomorrow morning..thanxu..I could shave every 8 hours if I want, my beard grows like crazy.....I get blood spots in the same areas, is that because I keep shaving off the thin scab before the skin can heal?
    I believe you are correct. This is where the alum or blood pencil will help. Also a good aftershave with some moisturizer in it.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

I guess this changed from a WTB thread to a "welding shavers unite" thread. Oh well. Anyone who has some old shaving stuff for sale, Im still interested. In the mean time...

Used a soap from D.R. Harris, Marlborough flavor. This is actually a re-visit of this soap as I bought it years ago, used it, and put it away frustrated at the soap's performance. The soap is a light sandalwood with a pleasing summer evening scent. The soap is in puck form, and very very hard. Cost is moderate, coming in at $20 for the puck which will last you for a very long time.

The lather is tough to produce on this soap, and once you obtain it, is not as thick as many shavers - myself included - would like. In fact, this is one of the poor qualities of this English made soap. The soap is super sensitive to how much water is added, and frankly, no matter what I did, the lather is just not there. The bubbles are large and soapy, the opposite of lather. The lather will dissipate off your face if left and is easily washed out of the mixing bowl once created. All poor qualities.

Once applied to the face, the soap does provide good action when going through the scruff. Drag is minimal through the hair, although you can feel the razor drag somewhat on the skin. The soap is mild in nature, however this is one of the few soaps that I always seemed to get nicked with, and today was no exception. I noticed no closer shave than with other, higher quality shave soaps, yet for some reason this soap produces nicks on my face no matter the blade of choice.

Lastly, as mentioned above, the lather cleans up almost instantly out of the mixing bowl and leaves a heavy white residue on all shaving components including the sink.

Overall, I give this soap a 5/10
    PROS
    -Can shave with it
    -Good action for going through scuff
    -Pleasant scent
    -Long lasting puck that is moderately priced
    CONS
    -Thin lather
    -Constant nicks
    -Not as slick as a soap should be
    -Tough to produce lather
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

ok, I used the Tabac puck shaving soap, I liked it lathered up pretty good, I know I need more practice getting the right water to soap ratio,I soaked the badger brush and razor in warm to hot water. I started with a hot cloth over the beard for a few minutes, I should have made the lather first, I didnt know how long it would stay lather before returning to just a wet mess, next time, and I have to put a new blade in as I think this one id dull.I only got one blood spot alot better from the first few times.here are a few pics and some of my ugly mug...not the one holding the shaving soap..LOL..Name:  PA050038.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  60.5 KBName:  PA050041.jpg
Size:  66.2 KBName:  PA050040.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  68.2 KBName:  PA050042.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  78.3 KBName:  PA050043.jpg
Size:  115.2 KB

a few more pics, im sure this is not the closes shave I can get but working on it..middle pic is before shaving, got them mixed up.Its like trying to shave a Brillo pad..Name:  PA050045.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  83.5 KBName:  PA050039.jpg
Size:  100.2 KBName:  PA060046.jpg
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 10-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.

It takes a while to get used to. It's deffinetley not like cartage razor shaving, but I prefer even safety razor to cartridge. I lived in Brazil for a few years, which is actually where I got my first safety. Razor cartridges were 100 Brazilian dollars for two. Saw the safety razor in a random shop and got it and a bunch of blades.

Anyway, It takes time. And patience... And blood... To get the hang of it.

Lather still looks a little thin. Other than that, nice work! How do you like it?
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Lather still looks a little thin. Other than that, nice work! How do you like it?
    I like the closeness, even still beginner at it, its closer than electric and leaves a nice fresh shave smell...and I only had that one blood spot....ill keep on it...

I personally prefer a thinner lather, u feel it helps more with glide. But different soaps lather differently. My current soap likes a thin(but not runny) lather. The art of shaving cream I had(awful) liked a heavy lather

I went from blades to a cordless Norelco I was given for a Christmas present last year and I love it, it can be used in the shower or just about anywhere. I hate strong girly perfumey smells so I don't use any type of beard lubricant and it still gives me a fast close shave, close enough I can get by with shaving every other day. I never had to shave until I went into the Army and then had to shave every morning or be wrote up at morning inspection.

*Bizarre rant removed by MinnesotaDave*
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 10-31-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Its learning curve, I had been shaving with safety razor for 4 yrs now. Here some good tips
    Soak that puck while you shower.
    May want explore vary of razor until smooth shave.
    Same for shaving lotions.
    Shave downhill, the across and uphill that means you shaving three times.
    Rise with hot water then cold water. Then last get an ice cube to close that pores and stop the bloody sweepers
    MM215
    Victor torch set

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Its learning curve, I had been shaving with safety razor for 4 yrs now. Here some good tips
    Soak that puck while you shower.
    May want explore vary of razor until smooth shave.
    Same for shaving lotions.
    Shave downhill, the across and uphill that means you shaving three times.
    Rise with hot water then cold water. Then last get an ice cube to close that pores and stop the bloody sweepers
    I do notice the grain changes direction several places and have to change direction to get it cut..im in the experimental stages now till I find what works the best, now im down to 1 small blood letting spot and havent needed a transfusion since starting wet shaving..LOL..

Three pass is a must for us fellas who have beards like steel wool. welcome to the club. you will never go back to disposables now

Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    Three pass is a must for us fellas who have beards like steel wool. welcome to the club. you will never go back to disposables now
    Very very true. Trust me once you get the shave bug. You never go back to disposable blades
    MM215
    Victor torch set

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

I've tried a bit of everything. I am still with disposables. I use schick Xtreme 3 with aloe. I shave in the shower with soap. Not body wash. I have not bought a can of shaving cream in nearly 20 years. Anything else, I have a 5 oclock shadow by after lunch.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I buy the cheapest disposable razors and the cheapest can of shaving cream. Something like $3.50 for six razors and $.97 for a can of cream. I shave every day for probably fractions of a penny per shave.

I have used many different disposables and none work too well on my brillo beard along with different lotions and shaving creams,the multi blade disposables would clog up even rinsing with hot water the blades would still be loaded with cut beard, so I went electric and that gave a decent shave but not great, sometimes it would aggravate my skin and felt like sandpaper, but for the quickness and no chance of taking chunks out of me I stayed with it , but this thread made me look at wet shaving and do some research into it..so far the wet shave has given the closest, but I still need practice as I get nervous under the nose and chin area, like im going to take a chunk out of me..

I still need practice as I get nervous under the nose and chin area, like im going to take a chunk out of me..
    I have been wet shaving for about 6 years now (most of my shaving-more-than-once-a-month adult life) with straight shaving being the last year. I don't think I'll ever get rid of that nervousness with the straight. I'm good with the double edge safety though. Sometimes it reminds me of the respect it's due, but that's my fault. There really is nothing like a good wet shave. My wife works at a salon that has a barber, so every once in a while I'll get the whole experience. She can do in two passed what it takes me 5. My safety first is now my quick shave option, when my scruff just bugs me too much because I haven't taken the time to do a proper shave

I dont think ill ever have the nerve for a straight razor..lol....but im hooked on the wet shave for sure....

Just got some soaps from this guy.

http://www.unclejonssoap.com/store/c..._Products.html

Amazing guy. Amazing soaps.

Tell him little Jon sent ya.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200

Been using a DE razor for about 8 years now, and I would never go back to disposable. I tried virtually every disposable cartridge razor before this, and they all had the same problem: hair would clog up between the blades, regardless of how often I rinse them, and they'd all end up being useless, no matter how many blades there were. This led to awful shaves and a ton of irritation. After switching to DE, I no longer need to worry about hair clogging between blades (since there's only one), and there's a lot more room to rinse the hair away, so the blade is able to cut cleanly for the entire shave. And the blade is actually sharp. The result is a much smoother shave with zero irritation. I have pretty thick facial hair, as well as the "hair goes in every direction" problem some of you have pointed out, and neither is ever an issue.

IMO, multi-blade disposable safety razors are a garbage solution (literally) to a problem that doesn't really exist. Why bother with 2, 3, 4, or even more blades when a single sharp edge gets the job done just as well, if not better? And why wrap it all in expensive, disposable, ocean-filling plastic if a single well-made metal razor will last a lifetime? Even the worst disposable razors or cartridges still cost more than the $0.25 per blade I paid for my Feathers (200 pack for $54), and even the best disposable doesn't compare in shave quality. Disposable razors kinda remind me of all those plastic single-use kitchen gadgets that people are tricked into buying for some reason...why buy separate apple/strawberry/banana/avocado/egg/tomato/etc. slicers when a single nice knife can do everything and more?

amazon has the feather in 200 packs for $41.95