Esab MIG 4HD with spool gun
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Esab MIG 4HD with spool gun

I have a chance to get 2 452CVCC welders with the MIG 4HD wire feeders for a steel of a deal. Would it be possible to put a spool gun on the MIG 4HD wire feeder? Or does it take a completely different part to run a spool gun?

Thanks in advance.

(yes, I have 3 phase power available)

Re: Esab MIG 4HD with spool gun

The 4hd is setup for optional push/pull gun.. It will take a MIg 28 control for ST-23 spool-gun.. if that's what you have?
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Lincoln LF-72/LN-25 pro feeders US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!:

Quote Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
    I have a chance to get 2 452CVCC welders with the MIG 4HD wire feeders for a steel of a deal. Would it be possible to put a spool gun on the MIG 4HD wire feeder? Or does it take a completely different part to run a spool gun?

Thanks in advance.

(yes, I have 3 phase power available)
    If you don't already have a spoolgun, You can buy for instance, Tweco Eliminator with a control box. It would fit most all power supplies. It's about $1200 worth but if you want a top quality spool gun for that machine, that's where you would be new. If you don't have a spool gun already i have one of the Eliminator units for sale cheap ( demo unit). Or many other guns would be adaptable. The internet is full of them.

I don't currently have a spoolgun or a control box. before I started looking at the Esab, I was looking how to attach a control box to a Miller regency 250. I haven't been able to find the right parts up till this point. I've been looking for a control box that allows spot/stitch timing, gas pre and post flow, etc. And I've been trying to figure out how to do that as inexpensively as possible, as right now I only have 2 medium sized projects that I'd require it for.

Even now, I don't really want to mess with wiring. But in the end, if I have to, I guess...
    Last edited by amosfella; 09-13-2017 at 11:47 AM.

I don't currently have a spoolgun or a control box. before I started looking at the Esab, I was looking how to attach a control box to a Miller regency 250. I haven't been able to find the right parts up till this point. I've been looking for a control box that allows spot/stitch timing, gas pre and post flow, etc. And I've been trying to figure out how to do that as inexpensively as possible, as right now I only have 2 medium sized projects that I'd require it for.

Even now, I don't really want to mess with wiring. But in the end, if I have to, I guess...
    You probably wont find anything with spot and stitch but the Tweco box has pre and post flow I believe

I'm thinking I'll go look tomorrow. Anything specific to look for on them?

So, i had a look today. One welder was a 452 cvcc, and the other was a svi 450i cvcc. Both with mig 4hd feeders. Both looked to weld very nice. Are they worth $600 cad for the pair?

Both were solid in their day. i remember selling a lot of SVI 450i units because of their size. Only real issue ever was a fan or two would go out. They had 2 fans in the back. 452's were common production machines where i lived and many are are still on the job. Not sure if ESAB or L-tec back then actually made those machines but they were good. 4HD was solid too. I owned a few of them in my travels. As far as value, I'd say 600 cad should be a deal. The feeders are worth that but it all depends on how they look under the hood. 3ph is always worth about 1/2 of 1ph for some reason.

Only thing i could see wrong was the 450 didn't have a working bolt/amp meter screen. Is that part hard to come by? The one wire feeders has a bit of a beat up cover. Both are esab branded. Would the wire feeder and spool gun you offered work on both? Welding electronics aren't my strong suit, and it rather not take a zap to find out...

Only thing i could see wrong was the 450 didn't have a working bolt/amp meter screen. Is that part hard to come by? The one wire feeders has a bit of a beat up cover. Both are esab branded. Would the wire feeder and spool gun you offered work on both? Welding electronics aren't my strong suit, and it rather not take a zap to find out...
    The 450 had digital readout. I doubt you will find the meter unless you call around to repair stations and ask for a used one. I know a few you could call in the states I would run this stuff through all of the motions before buying. Damage is a bad sign. Spoolgun with control box works on any CV power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    The 450 had digital readout. I doubt you will find the meter unless you call around to repair stations and ask for a used one. I know a few you could call in the states I would run this stuff through all of the motions before buying. Damage is a bad sign. Spoolgun with control box works on any CV power supply.
    ok. I saw them being welded with. As I said, did a nice job an 3/8". Maybe one could get a compatable volt/amp readout on digikey. Only the cover on the one feeder was damaged. The internals looked just fine, and seemed to work just fine. To me, a cover isn't a big deal. I saw in the one power supply manual that tig was also an option on these machines. Are the pieces to make that a reality with a high frequency start, etc., available??

ok. I saw them being welded with. As I said, did a nice job an 3/8". Maybe one could get a compatable volt/amp readout on digikey. Only the cover on the one feeder was damaged. The internals looked just fine, and seemed to work just fine. To me, a cover isn't a big deal. I saw in the one power supply manual that tig was also an option on these machines. Are the pieces to make that a reality with a high frequency start, etc., available??
    Just guessing that for tig, Both would be scratch start. Not sure ESAB had an HF box for start or other..May not turn down low enough to do thin material. The SVI would be my choice for tig. Nice thing about welders is they either work or they don't.

The 350 MPI would be my pick for a tig machine. The Esab high voltage box worked excellent with it.. No high freq.. but jumps a arc mile.. It's a full feature dc tig setup..(other then pulse) I would think the SVI 450i would be lift-arc?
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Lincoln LF-72/LN-25 pro feeders US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!:

A full featured WC115 miller control box does have most of what you want. it drives the spoolmatic 15A or 30A.
    It can control a welder that uses 115 volt, 24 volt contactors. also can be wired for simple contact closure,

Bought the esabs. Look good so far... Got to get plugs for the welder and generator.

If you ever need any feeder parts I can hook you up with a repair guy who has a lot of ESAB parts from L-Tec on up.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a pulse controller for the svi 450i?? Or if someone had a good one for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!!

Your welcome, I had one of those years ago for my SVI300I- MIG-4HD once dialed in it worked very nice.

Didn't get it, but thanks for the heads up.

They come up from time to time, keep your eyes peeled..