HELP! / Newbie / Miller SYNCROWAVE 200
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

HELP! / Newbie / Miller SYNCROWAVE 200

Hi All,

New amateur starting off here. About 7 years ago I purchased a new Miller Syncrowave 200 and up until now pretty much just collected dust. Sad I know. I'd like to eventually get competent enough to weld some bicycle parts; chromoly.
    From a online video, I've run across a recommended TIG setting called the "rule of threes" - 33 PPS, 33% pulse on time, 33% background current. Here's the video link:

Where my confusion is in syncing this information with my Syncrowave 200.

I understand the PPS, although, I note that my machine only goes to 15 PPM.

Is the 33% pulse on time referring to the PK T function? (20%-80%) ? NOTE: reading the manual it says, PK T is "The percentage of each pulse cycle that can be spent at the peak amperage level. "

Is the 33% background current referring to the BK A function (5%-95%) ? NOTE: reading the manual it says, "Use Background Amps to set the low pulse of the weld amperage, which cools the weld puddle and affects overall heat input. Background Amps is set as a percentage of peak amperage."

Any direction/thoughts would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks

John from Houston

Re: HELP! / Newbie / Miller SYNCROWAVE 200

yes and yes. But I would start off learning on something other than chrome molly tubing and without the pulse. Go check out Jody's videos at weldingtipsandtricks

he is a much better welder than the guy in your video, and by the way I am pretty sure Jody came up with the rule of 33. At least I heard it from his website first.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

One more for you. Notice he uses a filler rod when he tacks

Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    yes and yes. But I would start off learning on something other than chrome molly tubing and without the pulse. Go check out Jody's videos at weldingtipsandtricks

he is a much better welder than the guy in your video, and by the way I am pretty sure Jody came up with the rule of 33. At least I heard it from his website first.
    Thank you for answering my question - also, excellent video. I plan on following his example, particularly with the advice to practice welding using both left and right hands. One question; the two T(s). Guessing thats a function that I can't get with the Syncrowave 200? Understood that I should turn off pulse, so its a steady arc; would that then mean that the previous PK T and BK A settings are moot? Guessing so. Additionally, to get the same "on/off" - how would that work? With a foot pedal, if I set the amperage at 100; doesn't the foot pedal just increase the amperage, ie the more I press on it, amperage go "up" to 100 amps?

Again, I appreciate your advice!

Welcome to the forum, John.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

One question; the two T(s).
    Your welder does not have a sequencer, so the whole concept of 2T/4T doesn't apply in your case.
    that then mean that the previous PK T and BK A settings are moot?
    Correct

Additionally, to get the same "on/off" - how would that work? With a foot pedal,
    Set your amps to 1 amp for every 1 thousandth of an inch of thickness, e.g., 1/8 inch plate (0.125 inches) gets 125 amps. You may want to even add 20 amps to that to make sure you have some horsepower in reserve. That will be your max current with the foot pedal fully depressed. When you start a bead, you will want to mash the pedal pretty good until the puddle gets started and then you can back off a little as you progress your weld. When you get to the end you can taper off with the pedal.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster