powermax 1100 torch
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

powermax 1100 torch

Hope someone can help.
    Looking for a used pac135t torch body.
    Dont need any cables.
    Picked up a machine at the scrap yard and everthing checks out but the torch was junk.
    Just hopping someone has one they junked out.
    Dont really want to invest the money for the rt80 retrofit.

Thanks
    Tim

Re: powermax 1100 torch

If you just need the torch body and not the handles, A friend just bought one from American Torch Tip. Part # 120477 Not sure what he paid. Didn't want to ask. It was a direct replacement and only took him a few minutes so he said. Craigslist or E-bay will cough one up eventually too.

Just called them and was told not available but they are checking the warehouse to be sure.
    When did he buy it.

I am going to try and find or borrow a torch that i can hook up and check the machine out to make sure there are not any other problems before i invest much more into it.

Thanks
    Tim

Well no luck on a torch head , so if there is anyone out there that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hypertherm has torches that fit the Powermax1100. It will be hard to find an aftermarket torch as that product was last produced about 20 years ago.....and it was a relatively low volume system. The 1100's original torch was a "Blow forward" torch design as compared to todays blowback technology. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks Jim
    I am in the process of repairing the torch head.
    Broke it trying to get it apart as i was told by hypertherm tech that it was a blowback torch design and it had a piston that was stuck.
    Found out that was not the case after the fact.
    I have a 600 torch i am going to hook up just to check the machine out at a low amp.
    If all works i should have the old one fixed with some high temp epoxy and i will give it a try.
    Then i will decide about investing in a new torch.
    By the way i did find an aftermarket torch head that is a copy and uses the same consumables for around 300.
    I know probably a Chinese special.
    But sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Thanks to all that replyed

Tim

the 600 torch is not compatible. The plugs are way different and I don't think the head will fit on the end on the hose.
    you might have to silver solder if it is a metal part of the torch head.
    Be careful not to block any air channels. the torch won't work right.

Yes i know the 600 torch is not compatible.
    I hooked it up with jumpers to try the 1100 out.
    The 1100 worked flawlessly at 30 and 40 amps.
    Did not want to push the 40amp rated torch to hard.

Now waiting on the tips with the supplied springs as the first ones i ordered had none.
    And that is another story.
    Should have posted on here and asked Jim Colt about about the torch and would not have been led astray by the current Hypertherm tech support and thus breaking the torch in the process.

Soon as they show up i can get the internals adjusted and epoxy it back together.
    Yes i know they want me to buy an upgraded torch or new machine , Thats what keeps the world of industry going.

As long as i still have a little brain power left i will try and keep the old stuff going.
    Dammed Planned obsolescence , Progress and corporate America.

When us old timmers are gone so is a wealth of info.
    And yes i am on the downhill side.

Tim Schuldies

Got the torch head all epoxied back together with high temp epoxy.
    I must have done something right as it works great and slices thru 3/4 at 70 amps like butter.
    Pilot arc fires every time with out a hickup.
    Was kind of worried about getting the internals spaced back correctly so i tried a few trial runs before i commited to the epoxy.
    Got lucky or maybe i am good. NOT
    Maybe you know who was feeling sorry for me as i turn the big 60 on saturday. NOT
    Thought id let you all know.

Tim

That's awesome, glad you got it going! I have done some amazing things with perseverance and epoxy over the years. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks Jim
    Next time i need something i will post here and ask you.
    Sorry but i am not to impressed with the folks at hypertherm.
    I will try and fix anything , mostly just for the challenge and the pride of actually seeing it work when i get done.

Tim

I'm sorry you were not happy with the Hypertherm tech service group, usually I hear nothing but good reports. The Powermax1100 is a bit unique in that it is an old product that only had a very brief production run. I'm pretty sure that some of our service techs have never seen one or worked on one.....there may be 400 or so in the field, while the other products are out there (often) with numbers in excess of a hundred thousand units. The other issue with techs (in most companies today) is that they are instructed to go by the book......they cannot help anyone modify or do anything that does not conform to the designs specs of our product....for liability reasons. Fortunately, as a 40 year Hypertherm Veteran (and I am older than you) can help in many cases. Regardless, I'm glad you got it working. Keep your eyes open for an RT80 ore even a Duramax torch if you want the 1100 to really come to life! Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by tima View Post
    Thanks Jim
    Next time i need something i will post here and ask you.
    Sorry but i am not to impressed with the folks at hypertherm.
    I will try and fix anything , mostly just for the challenge and the pride of actually seeing it work when i get done.

Tim