Help needed with TIG Setting on everlast 256Si
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help needed with TIG Setting on everlast 256Si

Could you guys help with TIG setting on everlast 256Si
    cant make it work, the wire wont stick into the joint if compare to the MIG welding it feels like not enough gas, i tried to play with gas flow didn't help either
    Metal: aluminium
    GAS: 100% argon

Name:  IMG_3606.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  225.1 KB

Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by alex300; 10-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Re: Help needed with TIG Setting on everlast 256Si

So what's the problem

the feeding wire wont stick to the tube/joint that i am trying to weld it wont give me smooth melt on the joint to fill it

Yeah,

Presuming you're doing something at about .100 or .125:

Your amps are undoubtedly way low to get a puddle started on aluminum. Set to about 160, blast with the pedal as needed to get a puddle in less than three seconds, then dip with filler, and start backing off with the pedal/heat, as needed.

Your AC balance is better at about 35% EP.

Giving it a post-flow setting of about 8 seconds is good.

Brushing the aluminum to break up the oxide layer will help too.

You can leave your start amps at the minimum too.

Are you actually using a pedal, or just the torch switch?
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 10-09-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

no pedal, finally i got 2 nice stitches but still cant figure it out how to get back to it )

Yeah,

With aluminum, a pedal is very nearly an imperative requirement.

So, without a pedal, preheating might be the best way to get the metal and puddle starting close to your amp settings, to have a better chance at success, which leaves your travel speed, the filler diameter, and dabbing frequency as about the only ways to control heat input. I mean, I wouldn't try to use arc length to modulate heat input in any way.

You'll undoubtedly get the so-called hang of it with some more practice though.

If I were you, I'd get a foot pedal ASAP, as starting a puddle on aluminum is best done quickly, with about an additional 50% heat input, but then backed down quickly too.

Of course, you can preheat with the TIG torch itself, by just running a line ahead and back about an inch, which will also pre-clean the meatal for a bead.

Interestingly, I used to do all of my DC TIG welding without a pedal, since my first TIG unit didn't come with one, and it was never much of an inconvenience without it on mild and other steel. But I've never tried to weld aluminum without an amptrol device on my newer AC/DC TIG unit.

Maybe I'll try it sometime, to see if my recommendations actually work. Ha, ha, ha...
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 10-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Stupid question, but which torch are you using? If it's the 18 series that comes with that unit, I think it's a black hose that should be in the gas outlet. Red coming out of the Dinse plug goes to the cooler.

Set the amps higher. With out foot pedal will make it tricky. What thickness metal are u on? With no pedal I have to see the machine to not only the metal thickness but mass and joint type. Butt joint u will need to turn down the machine, if it's a fillet bump it up 15-40 amps

Sorry I still don't know what feeding wire sticking to the tube means.

How thick is the aluminum? Are you getting a puddle?

I did the same think he is talking about and same I had no foot pedal. He pry has bunch of contaminate rod hanging off the joint.

U need to get a good strong puddle going first before adding the rod is the problem. Means more amps are needed or wait longer before getting that rod anywhere close to the puddle

thanks a lot for your recommendation i will try with pedal today

UPDATE: i figure it out a little bit with the setting. My next problem is after 2-3 inches its melted aluminium to much and i have stop and go
    aluminum thickness 1/8

The pedal is like driving a car. First you accelerate (more pedal) then you let off (coast/Cruise). If it takes ~100 amps to weld, you start with 130 full pedal to get the weld pool established, then taper back to 80 or 90 and modulate the pedal as needed (like driving a car here), then taper off as you near the end, or whenever you get close to an edge where you don't need as much heat. The pedal is not an on/off switch.

Watch the puddle, it tells you when you need more or less heat.

yes i am getting puddle now
    the thickness 1/8

any recommendation on the setting ?
    Start amps - end amps
    Gas Flow: pref-flow - postflow
    frequency
    ???

got the pedal! its definitely works much better
    thanks !

I weld aluminum without a pedal quite a lot. Here are some starting points from my experience.

Preflow 1 sec, Start amps 25, upslope 3 secs, freq 120 - 130, downslope 3 secs, ends amps 5 secs, post flow 5 secs. Argon 15cfh.

Always keep very small, tight arc, especially during starts. Puddle should form in about 3 - 4 secs or too cold weld amps. Use torch switch and upslope / downslope to control heat. On, move forward, off pause, add filler, repeat. Stay off and move forward one more step in downslope if still too hot. Stop and restart if out of position, puddle widens or looks too watery (like filler is pushing through puddle). Always keep a tight arc, move forward pushing puddle into root.

.125 to .125 Weld Amps. Depending on piece size and start temp
    Filet 120 - 140. Start puddle on horizontal surface and wash to vertical and add filler.
    Horizontal butt weld: 120 - 130. Start on one edge and wash to other then add filler.
    Outside corner: 100 - 110. Start on one edge and wash to other and add filler. Use backing if possible.

Hope that helps.

Let's see what your welding. Set the machine to 200 amps or more when doing 1/8" aluminum

If you are using a foot pedal, 200 amps is good, can get the puddle started and then back off. If using the torch switch, it's too hot, won't be able to keep up with the heat as it moves ahead of the arc. Here are outside corners at 110amps using torch switch to control heat.

Name:  IMG_1245.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  131.0 KB

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that TIG does not use wire feed. You need to be using a filler rod manually. Your question is about TIG but your text refers to wire feed (MIG).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that TIG does not use wire feed. You need to be using a filler rod manually. Your question is about TIG but your text refers to wire feed (MIG).

Paul
    I think he means the filler wire i.e. "fed wire" not wire feed. Maybe English is not his first language?
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

He's just not getting a puddle. trying to melt filler metal with the arc. Just needs more practice. May want to throw down a few beads on a flat plate with no filler metal to get the feel. Maybe even a slow pulse to learn on flat material.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipj0 View Post
    I weld aluminum without a pedal quite a lot. Here are some starting points from my experience.

Preflow 1 sec, Start amps 25, upslope 3 secs, freq 120 - 130, downslope 3 secs, ends amps 5 secs, post flow 5 secs. Argon 15cfh.

Always keep very small, tight arc, especially during starts. Puddle should form in about 3 - 4 secs or too cold weld amps. Use torch switch and upslope / downslope to control heat. On, move forward, off pause, add filler, repeat. Stay off and move forward one more step in downslope if still too hot. Stop and restart if out of position, puddle widens or looks too watery (like filler is pushing through puddle). Always keep a tight arc, move forward pushing puddle into root.

.125 to .125 Weld Amps. Depending on piece size and start temp
    Filet 120 - 140. Start puddle on horizontal surface and wash to vertical and add filler.
    Horizontal butt weld: 120 - 130. Start on one edge and wash to other then add filler.
    Outside corner: 100 - 110. Start on one edge and wash to other and add filler. Use backing if possible.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for clear recommendation on the setting i will try that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by psehorne View Post

Paul
    Yes you right, Sorry for confusion, i more familiar with MIG and didnt know much about TIG until now...

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    He's just not getting a puddle. trying to melt filler metal with the arc. Just needs more practice. May want to throw down a few beads on a flat plate with no filler metal to get the feel. Maybe even a slow pulse to learn on flat material.
    the main problem is to understand the setting of this machine, after couple of days of practise i got nice joints on flat surface but can get them when i weld two separate pieces together