Got me a Multimatic 215 today
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Cool Got me a Multimatic 215 today

Probably won't have chance to run it for a few day. Hooked it up to a 120 Volt outlet today, so I could power It up. In MIG mode I am very pleased with the fact that it takes a fair amount of travel on the voltage dial to make a voltage change of .1. The unit is going be very easy to dial an exact voltage in on. The wire speed dial performs the exact same way. Meaning it'll be easy to get an exact wire speed valued dialed in.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Re: Got me a Multimatic 215 today

Is it going to replace one of the fabricators on your sig?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Is it going to replace one of the fabricators on your sig?
    Haven't you figured out by now, that I collect welding machines? I think the 6 wire feed units that I have in my two car garage is a little excessive for my hobbyist level usage of them.

If the MIG performance on the 215 turns out being good , I am thinking I'll put the 181i up for sale. Actually I am seriously considering selling the Ironman 230 too.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Just ordered a foot pedal from HTP, so I should be able to give the TIG function a try sometime early next week. Mostly interested in the C25 MIG arc. Miller weld tech has stated it is very crisp and consistent, which has me feeling it may be a real good arc on 1/8".
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

I know you appear to be collecting them. I thought I remembered your lady having an issue with you having so many.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

I know you appear to be collecting them. I thought I remembered your lady having an issue with you having so many.
    At least he bought one that is stackable
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I have been on the hunt for a L-Tec/ESAB Migmaster 250 or millermatic 200 for $400-$500. Either of those machines are hard to come by at that pricepoint. I came accross a Miller 330 A/BP with remote foot pedal locally listed for $225. I was talking to the seller. I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I would have to rent a trailer and the ram on my cherry picker has developed a leak at the base of the pump lever

I am curious to see what you have to say about the abilty of the 215 once you have played with it for a while
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

The 215 is my 25th Wedding anniversary present from the Wife. After purchasing it she made no mention of reducing the fleet. The only thing she did mention was if I decided to sell off a unit or two, the Migmaster 250 wasn't going to be one of them.

As good as the arc is on the Migmaster 250, and the fact that it offers 22 taps over only 12 on the Millermatic 200, I'd go with a Migmaster 250 over the Millermatic 200. Based on the output power range being covered, with only 12 taps, I feel there has to be some obvious holes in the output coverage on the Millermatic 200.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Yeah it figures. I have thought the 250 would be a better machine a little bigger as well. The only problem is availability. They come up for sale about 1 to every 10 of the 200. The price is useually more than 1K as well I figure I can't go wrong with either machine if I grab one for a good to me price.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

I used my SCC control Miller ft pedal on the Thermal arc machines.. Simple adapter, and works perfect. Should just sell some of your ft pedals to clear up space.. I am down to 3 mig units, probably sell the mid-range one.. Although the KLutch 220si is a excellent Mig/Stick unit. (Forget tig)
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40
    Hypertherm 45XP

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Yeah it figures. I have thought the 250 would be a better machine a little bigger as well. The only problem is availability. They come up for sale about 1 to every 10 of the 200. The price is useually more than 1K as well I figure I can't go wrong with either machine if I grab one for a good to me price.
    Output power wise the Migmaster and 200 are pretty much equal. Not that your more than likely going to be able to tax the duty cycle on either, at hobbyist level, but I will point out that the Migmaster does offer a significant increase in the area of duty cycle over the 200. You'll understand why if you ever hear the fan on a Migmaster 250.

The Migmaster was manufactured for quite a few years, based on what I've seen on here the wire drive was changed along the way, so I'd steer clear of the real early models that will more than likely be difficult to find drive rolls or guide tubes for. The 200 will more than likely have a little nicer wire drive. I wasn't real fond of the spool hub assembly on my Migmaster, so I converted in over to Miller.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Played with the 215 a little last night, in MIG mode, on 1/8" . Ran an .030 and .035 wire with C25. The arc quality is good. Miller definitely messed up though by not giving the unit an inductance control. To me the arc needs a touch more inductance to help wet the puddle out a little better, because the beads tend to be a touch on the ropey side.

At first the arc starts were OK at best. Rotating the spool hub by hand, without spring tension applied, I noticed there was some drag. So I applied some silicone spray to a paper towel, then wiped the spool hub spindle shaft down with this silicone soaked towel. After applying silicone to the spool hub spindle shaft, the spool hub rotated much more freely, and the arc starts became very good.

The Auto-set output produces good results. However, the output range, for 1/8" at least, is on the hot side. There is a hole in the auto-set output between 14ga and 1/8" that isn't covered that would have worked much better for 1/8".

To see if there was any difference in the arc and puddle wet out, I gave the C100 and stainless steel process selections a try, using C25. I saw no difference in the arc or puddle wet out when selecting C100, C25, or stainless steel. So the process selection just seems to be for selecting the auto-set programming. I was originally assuming that the process selection would produce an inductance or slope change. However since I didn't see a softer arc or improved puddle wet out with the stainless setting, I was obviously wrong. I don't have a need to weld stainless steel at home, however, I don't see the unit being a very good stainless unit.
    Last edited by Dan; 10-16-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

I was wondering about leaving off the inductance control on that unit,,I thought slope control might be enough to make it less necessarily.
    Do you think the Miller Multimatic 200 has the same auto stuff without a manual slope control.?

My last of two mig units, the Thermal (think the 220si is sold to a friend) has a SS slope on it,, It does change the slope around enough to see a much softer more fluid weld bead.. Not that I would use it for doing that with a inductance control. I would just use dual shield stainless wire with C-25 if i was migging any ss . I am guessing you are going to thin the heard at some point?Took me a long time to get down to a reasonable/workable setup for me.. Just finished last night..I did put the straight gun feeder on the bottom of the cart, and the sloped down one on top..Main reason for that layout,, Not perfect but more in line with the best feeding setup i could arrange.

Ended up with one China machine that I think is one of the best 120 volt migs out.. $250.00 from NT. The rest are two from Japan, Two Plasma's from USA, two feeders from USA, and one lonely Esab from Sweden..(AC/DC) Really was after a multi-process machine that allowed me to run both feeders on the same cart.. The LN-25 can be made to extend out to 50/60 ft from the machine with a 15 ft gun added to that..,. The Tweco's can't run a LN-25 feeder unless it's on CC/stick..

Thought I post a few pics of what I came up with for space saving.. Also to jack your thread just a bit.. Did finally get the stick, and tig sorted with the LM-200..Had all this stuff but never put it all together..

PS, Jim unloaded his 211i, and is using the Klutch 140si, Hobart 160 stick, and Esab 160 for most of his outside Genny work.. He collects little stick/tig machines like you do feeders..

oh yea, the PeeWee made it though the last round of cuts..
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Brand X; 10-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Hypertherm 45XP

I was suspecting the lack of an inductance control may hinder the C25 performance. Industrial Welding had the 215 and PM 210 MP in stock, since the 210 mp has inductance I almost talked myself into going with it over the 215.

Andy from Miller in Miller you tube videos states that the process selector on 215 fine tunes the arc. I'll have to give the C100 and stainless settings a try again with C25, and pay real close attention to see if I see any noticeable difference.

The supplied "Miller" gun has the same slightly stiff lead as the "Hobart" version of the gun does. Next time I run the 215, I am going to see if my HTP "Miller" M25 gun, will work on the unit. The HTP gun has a real flexible lead and an .023/.030 liner installed in it.

The volt meter shows 27 volts with the dial maxed out. Down the road, I'll give the top end a try and see if the unit is capable of outputting 27 volts @ 200+ amps.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

C-100 = 100% CO2......? You would think they would just say so in the first place..:laugh

I would of went with the Miller over the Lincoln myself.. Not for brand loyalty, but thinking maybe it might weld a bit like the Shopmate dx or something..Right now the $900.00 LM-200 looks like way better move over the 252i.Much better spray rig.Plus the short-arc is step above too..They are all really good though..
    Last edited by Brand X; 10-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Hypertherm 45XP

Ran the 215, on 1/8", some more. Gave the Stainless steel and C100 process selections a try again using C25. I still didn't notice any change in the arc or puddle wet out . I used the exact same voltage and wire speed setting for each selection. The output voltage and amperage stayed the same each time.

I also installed the HTP gun on the unit today. By doing this I noticed an improvement in the arc and the arc starts. As previously stated the unit has a good arc. It's very consistent and on the crisp side. It's a fairly forgiving arc that is reasonable easy to get dialed in pretty good in manual mode. Weld puddle wet out is still slightly more sluggish then I'd like it to be. Running Hobart units for some many years I guess I've got use to a little wetter puddle, especially with the Ironman 230. The slight sluggishness to the weld puddle does have me wondering about the skill level of Miller's in house weld techs though.

As pointed out before my 1/8" auto-set settings are on the hot side. They do produce good arc quality, they're just on the hot side for 1/8". I don't remember exact values, but the amperage was falling in the 160 -170 range. I am wondering if my typical 245 volt input is having any influence on this. I find it interesting that the 120 volt and 240 volt auto-set values are different. There is a difference of 100 on the wire speed.

Tried a little TIG on some 16ga 304L stainless. Just pushing a puddle along ( no filler) on a flat piece of sheet. The lift arc is excellent. Puddle control is very good. Even with a 20 amp low end puddle ramp up at the beginning of the bead was real good. Not in the same league as my Maxstar, but I was still pleased with the results. The 20 amp low end doesn't seem like it will be an issue for ramping down a weld on 16 ga either. I was able to terminate the weld puddle without leaving a pin hole . I can see a small peak at the final solidification point of the weld puddle. Would the ramp down be better with down slope or a lower amperage low end, of course it would be but I'm still pleased with the results.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Have a couple 8" Spools of .035 ESAB Spool Arc 86 to use up , so I gave one of them a try on 1/8". Was glad to see that the unit performs well with the wire. Probably the best arc starts I've seen from the unit too.

The HTP "Miller" gun is a little bulkier gun then I'd like to use as my main gun on the unit, and since I am not fond of the stiffness in the lead of the M100 gun, down the road a little I'll probably look for a different gun.

The HTP gun has a 12' lead. The wire drive has been performing real well with this length of gun lead. Suspect some of this has to do with the fact that the new drive roll design also has a different V groove design to it then the old drive roll design that it replaced. The wire sits noticeably deeper in the groove on the new drive roll design.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

May be I made a mistake buying my unit from a local welding supply store. Looking at the Sept 2017 spec sheet for the unit on Miller's website today I noticed that the picture of the front panel read out is showing a lower wire speed value on it for the 1/8" .030 C25 auto-set programming then the 2016 spec sheet still showing up on the on line welding supply stores. The 2016 spec sheet wire speed value with the bulls-eye scale centered is 385. On the current spec sheet on Miller's website the wire speed value is 310 with the bulls-eye scale centered. The wire speed value is the 385 on my unit. This change on the spec sheet has me suspecting a very recent change was made to at least the .030 C25 1/8" auto-set programming that would make the output less hot, and closer to were I set the machine in manual mode.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    Handler 125EZ

Can't hurt to call Miller and ask if there is a firmware update/upgrade that could/would update your machine.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350