Length of Welding Leads for a Hobart 235 LX AC/DC Welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Length of Welding Leads for a Hobart 235 LX AC/DC Welder

I want to increase the leads on my welder to 20' to 25'. The manual says to check with the manufacturer. Can anyone suggest the proper size lead to use? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Length of Welding Leads for a Hobart 235 LX AC/DC Welder

The machine comes with #4 gauge leads. I think you would be fine with more of the same, since that is not that long of a distance. To be safe you could go with #3. #3 is good for up to 200 amps if you keep the distance under 100 feet, and the duty cycle under 60% (which your machine is). Anything much lager is just overkill.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I have this stuff on my machine. It is #2 gauge, but it is super limp and extremely flexible. $1.45/foot, which is not the cheapest, but I think it is well worth it. Order 50 feet of it and the price goes to $1.35/foot. It is super great for the stinger side, but may be a bit of a waste on the work lead side. But still you are talking less than $70 bucks for 50 feet.

http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/spider.pl?304-1170UF||1|449|||1.50

Last edited by Louie1961; 10-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Welcome to the forum. Please remember that when you look at the cable charts for sizing the cable the listed length is usually the circuit length not the lineal length i.e. 50' of ground and 50' of stinger is 100' so you can reach 50' from the machine. Electron beam technology in ILL. has decent cable prices and is a domestic manufacturer.

Number 2. Nice upgrade for that machine. Depending on work I agree with buying 100 ft, personally divide it 55/45, I use a little more reach with the stinger.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-31-2017 at 09:58 PM.

I have about 10 welders. I put connectors on mine because of that, have it on a lot of lead. If it was a home brew deal might not even bother with them. would chop them off about a foot out of the machine and even simply split bolt and tape them together for extensions.
    Splice lug too. I didn't want to fool with the factory solder job in the machine which was perfect. The green connector goes to the building and bench steel and the red has a Y with a stinger there and to another cable which goes to a set of leads for outdoor. There is a ground extension off my bench with connector and one by the door with 40 ft on it and doubles for use with the plasma.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-08-2018 at 07:33 PM.