weldanpower rheostat questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

weldanpower rheostat questions

I have been struggling with a low output on the CV side of my weldanpower for some time. today while doing some troubleshooting i noticed the fine adjustment rheostat was hot after i laid a small bead. I ran some emery cloth over the windings on the rheostat, i got a bit more power and the rheostat no longer got hot. Where can i get a new rheostat? My google searches dont come up with anything. does anyone know what the resistance readings should be for the rheostat? Thanks, Matt

Re: weldanpower rheostat questions

Some of the W&P units use a 10ohm rheostat but I'm not 100% sure on the wattage rating although 150W comes to mind.

The rating value should be printed on the outer edge of the rheostat and the wattage may be molded into the ceramic body itself.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Thanks, Duane. Does the rheostat being 10ohm mean 0-10 ohms? can i jumper across it to rule it out? do you know what voltage I should be reading at the brushes? ive checked everything AC feeding the recifier, rectifier to rheostat, rheostat to the brushes and it seems okay. Do you think it could be the capacitors that are in parrallel with the rotor field? thanks, Matt

The ohm rating (whether 10 ohms or something else) is across the winding from one end to the other or from the wiper terminal to the stationary terminal in the "minimum" position.

Yes, for testing purposes you can jumper across the unit to by-pass it. This would simulate the "maximum" or "100%" setting for a 0 ohm reading.

You haven't said which one you have but depending on the specific model W&P you have, initial voltage at the brushes should be a few volts DC to up to battery voltage. When functioning properly, once the generator begins to produce output, maximum DC voltage at the brushes will be considerably higher for normal operation and will vary based on the rheostat setting. Again, the specific model will dictate what normal operation minimum/maximum voltage at the brushes should be.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

thank you Duane. Code number is 8928 and its a B&S engine. I put the cover back on last week because i need to use it but i will get some more voltage readings and try jumpering the rheostat here soon. Thank, Matt

OK, with the B&S initial rotor excitation voltage is supplied by the engine alternator stator located behind the flywheel. If I recall correctly, output voltage from this is around 6-10VDC at the brushes with lead #200 being (+) and #201 (-). The (-) brush is the one furthest from the engine.

Again, IIRC, voltage at the brushes should increase to approximately 80VDC if everything is working properly.

No DC flashing voltage at the brushes can be caused by:
    1) defective engine alternator stator
    2) defective (open) flashing diode
    3) blown flashing circuit fuse
    4) any open in the flashing circuit caused by corroded connection or broken wire

No operating DC voltage at the brushes can be caused by:
    1) defective field voltage bridge rectifier
    2) defective Fine Current adjustment rheostat due to an open winding
    3) any open in the field voltage circuit caused by corroded connection or broken wire

Do you have the manual for the unit that has the circuit diagram in it that you can follow for troubleshooting?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

I have flashing voltage, ive got 30 volts AC into the rectifier from stator wires 4 and 5, 30 volts DC leaving the rectifier, and 30 volts through the rheostat to the brushes. Thats at high idle not welding. I'm new to this what is IIRC? Thanks, Matt

IIRC =If I Recall Correctly.

30V sounds low but I say that not knowing what the exact spec is for your unit. A call to Lincoln Customer Service should get the correct information if someone else that does know doesn't jump in and clarify in the meantime.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!