Garage door insulation - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26

    Re: Garage door insulation

    That is double bouble wrap, we use it on duct work and have been using it for about 10 years that I know of. It has a high "R" value I believe around 8. The problem is with the glue, and condensation.

    If I was going to insulate a garage door I would get a roll of 1/8" armorflex. I am always amazed at how good that stuff insulates. I did the bilco doors in my basement with 1" Armorflex, and they came out great. But after a while the spray on glue started to let go in certain places. So I used contact cement and it has never come loose after a few years of service.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 11-17-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  2. #27

    Re: Garage door insulation

    You can get that reflective double bouble wrap, 500 sqaure feet for about $160.00 to $180.00, it comes in a five foot wide roll and I believe it is is 100 feet long.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  3. #28

    Re: Garage door insulation

    This is a link to it.

    http://www.ecofoil.com/All-Products/...SABEgJmyPD_BwE

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Garage door insulation

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is double bouble wrap, we use it on duct work and have been using it for about 10 years that I know of. It has a high "R" value I believe around 8. The problem is with the glue, and condensation.

    If I was going to insulate a garage door I would get a roll of 1/8" armorflex. I am always amazed at how good that stuff insulates. I did the bilco doors in my basement with 1" Armorflex, and they came out great. But after a while the spray on glue started to let go in certain places. So I used contact cement and it has never come loose after a few years of service.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    When I put the wrap on my garage door I used self tapping screws to hold it on the door.
    I also used that wrap on my duct work as well and used the aluminum tape to hold it and seal it up.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Garage door insulation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    And I would recommend a LiftMaster opener, just because I've never had to do any warranty work on them or replace any of the newer ones. I've replaced a lot of craftsman though.
    Yup. I just did a new control card in this one but I use this model exclusively on rolling gates up to and over 1000 lbs. I know nothing about garage doors.......or long pants
    Name:  P2021062.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  107.9 KB

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Garage door insulation

    I'm wondering if it would be over kill to put foam sheets inbetween garage door pannel studs and finish with rapping the double bouble insulation by sandwitching the foam between the exterior aluminum sheeting and the interial double bubble insulation???
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Garage door insulation

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I'm wondering if it would be over kill to put foam sheets inbetween garage door pannel studs and finish with rapping the double bouble insulation by sandwitching the foam between the exterior aluminum sheeting and the interial double bubble insulation???
    Terry,
    I think it is a question of how much are you willing to spend for how much of a return. I can't remember which part of CA you are from so I am not sure of the weather there. Plus do the doors face the sun or not?
    It is also probably a question of whether you already have a foam core door or not. In my last house I did not have a foam core door and I put the pieces of foam in the slots of the door. The pieces of foam were bought second hand so my upfront costs were not that high. The foam definitely helped in that case. The garage door in this shop was already a foam core door so I just used the bubble wrap. I had looked into adding another layer of foam before I installed the foil, but upfront costs came into play now since I didn't have second hand foam.
    I had looked online about this. If I remember right, there were a number of sites that suggested adding foam by gluing it to the door itself. You then leave an air space between the foam and foil bubble wrap to help act as an insulating barrier. The foil bubble wrap even shows on its label the advantage of an air gap.
    If you do add foam and wrap, I am pretty sure you will have to adjust spring tension.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Garage door insulation


    Gamble


    I have loaded dynamite since I was five years old . . .

    Dynamite: is infinitely safer, than a novice discovering the indices,
    of a loaded/overhead door spring coil.

    Heed - all of TheBFA's seasoned caveats.

    A loose spring-winding-bar will break your jaw, knock you off of the
    ladder, and kill you - when your mellon melds with the concrete.

    Winding door springs - is more dangerous than a HandyMan Jack . . .

    Be aware - and keep your face out of it . . .


    Opus

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Cal., Shasta County
    Posts
    8,792

    Re: Garage door insulation

    Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

    Gamble


    I have loaded dynamite since I was five years old . . .

    Dynamite: is infinitely safer, than a novice discovering the indices,
    of a loaded/overhead door spring coil.

    Heed - all of TheBFA's seasoned caveats.

    A loose spring-winding-bar will break your jaw, knock you off of the
    ladder, and kill you - when your mellon melds with the concrete.

    Winding door springs - is more dangerous than a HandyMan Jack . . .

    Be aware - and keep your face out of it . . .


    Opus
    I converted both my doors, an 8 ftr and 16 fter, to the windup springs plus played with the tension over time and then had to replace the spring on the 16 after it blew from some tiny little defect. Yeh quite the learning curve there. Learned real quick where and where not the hands should end up at the end of a stroke and where your head should be during the process. I'll keep on doing my own cuzz that's the way I am but for friends and family I'll always recommend hiring they guy who does it for a living.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Garage door insulation

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Terry,
    I think it is a question of how much are you willing to spend for how much of a return. I can't remember which part of CA you are from so I am not sure of the weather there. Plus do the doors face the sun or not?
    It is also probably a question of whether you already have a foam core door or not. In my last house I did not have a foam core door and I put the pieces of foam in the slots of the door. The pieces of foam were bought second hand so my upfront costs were not that high. The foam definitely helped in that case. The garage door in this shop was already a foam core door so I just used the bubble wrap. I had looked into adding another layer of foam before I installed the foil, but upfront costs came into play now since I didn't have second hand foam.
    I had looked online about this. If I remember right, there were a number of sites that suggested adding foam by gluing it to the door itself. You then leave an air space between the foam and foil bubble wrap to help act as an insulating barrier. The foil bubble wrap even shows on its label the advantage of an air gap.
    If you do add foam and wrap, I am pretty sure you will have to adjust spring tension.
    I don't recal any springs on my roll up on tracks. The Garage door opener does all the work. The door rolls up from vertical on the tracks to horizontal overhead.

    I am south of Sacramento and north of Modesto for temperature reference.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement