I've been asked to build a snow compactor - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I've been asked to build a snow compactor

Well ya better hurry up I see all the flatlanders dragging their boats home and getting their v nose trailers ready for the great cheddar migration,

He's in "ski" country, they do things a little differently there....

And yes, if you take a rh threaded bolt, cut in half and weld it back together, it's still a rh threaded bolt.
    Last edited by Pugs_; 11-15-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs_ View Post
    He's in "ski" country, they do things a little differently there....

And yes, if you take a rh threaded bolt, cut in half and weld it back together, it's still s rh threaded bolt.
    When ordering parts I would often say the company name, then get asked to spell it. I would say A,B,C, whatever , until I got to the SKI, then I would say " heavy on the SKI.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Two halves will spiral the very same way, take a bit more time to rethink the theory (yeah i sometime do the same)

Haha, derp! They sure would, I guess the coffee didn't kick in when I typed that. Just like flipping an impeller, or a screw over... nothing changes. You'd need a left hand and right hand thread culvert. At that point it would be a lot more beneficial to have cross bars to help the drum turn.

At the end of the day a skid this short frame will do nothing to level a snowmobile trail, needs to be longer so it bridges the moguls and knocks them flat. Good think I don't ride portage county Wi trails, lol.

If it's anything like the past few years, the time the trails are open is measured in hours not weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    When ordering parts I would often say the company name, then get asked to spell it. I would say A,B,C, whatever , until I got to the SKI, then I would say " heavy on the SKI.
    You need a few more vowels, a couple Z's, K's and W's... Every once in awhile I come across a "ski" out in the wild like Iowa or something, and they are amazed when I can say their last name right on the first try.

Yeah, what were they open last year, like a grand total of a week? Anyway, what Andy has to build sounds pretty straight forward and if the customers happy than that's all that matters. If it needs improving for next year, they'll figure it out and most clubs only have so much extra cash for things like this anyway due to the last few seasons being super short.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs_ View Post
    You need a few more vowels, a couple Z's, K's and W's... Every once in awhile I come across a "ski" out in the wild like Iowa or something, and they are amazed when I can say their last name right on the first try.

Yeah, what were they open last year, like a grand total of a week? Anyway, what Andy has to build sounds pretty straight forward and if the customers happy than that's all that matters. If it needs improving for next year, they'll figure it out and most clubs only have so much extra cash for things like this anyway due to the last few seasons being super short.
    My understanding is this goes behind a drag. Snow will build up unless it's extreme cold, just like a plow or loader bucket. I'm sure it will work for the most part. Many of the clubs have gone to a larger farm tractor pulling a drag verses the traditional track groomers.

Rollers are typically used early season or low snow conditions to try and pack it down so it stays on the trail and begin building a firm base. Trail drags in those same conditions tend to find rocks and stumps, or at the very least bring up dirt and grass, which the sun will heat up and start melting holes in the trail.

Most rollers now use large plastic culvert with the deepest grooves possible. The idea is that forming deep grooves in the snow, the wind will blow those grooves full which builds base even faster.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Finally an explanation that makes sense. Thanks for chiming in. Plastic seemed like a better option from the start - seems much less likely to have sticking problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastern ski resorts have a big problem they try to keep secret from their paying customers. Nearly every day, the sun comes out melting the surface of the snow. As the sun goes down, this freezes into a thin glaze of ice. New snow, whether man made or natural, behaves like a fried egg on a non stick pan. Groomers leave a corduroy surface to reduce this.

I wonder if the ridges might help here also?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Wouldn't it be easier to just drive your pick up truck to the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just drive your pick up truck to the bar?

Thats not nearly as fun as an over powered machine with no grip and piss poor lighting.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

You guys weren't around in the golden age of snowmobiling. In 1970 you would head in the middle of the night to the top of a mountain. 10% of the town might be there, or you might be alone. You ran mixed gas at a ratio of 20:1 oil, and fouled plugs. You might cary 5 sets of plugs, and run out. The drive belt was likely to shred, and you'd spend ten minutes cutting the tangles out to replace.

Most riders carried a bottle. They got passed around.

And groomers were seen only at ski areas, not on snowmobile trails.

Oh, there were about 200 different manufacturers.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

you forgot to tell them no cell phone WillieB...hahhah remember these days too (on flat land no mountains here) when the bes machines were about 20 hp and failing every 20 miles...hahahh good old days

Walked home many times. Participated in tow home activities more times than I could count, either being towed, or towing. Dad had a '68 Arctic Cat Panther with JLO 15 HP I'm having restored as we speak. Mother had a '70 Panther with 14 HP Hirth, I had a '71 Ski Doo Olympic 335. Dad said he preferred the single cylinder engines, it was easy to tell which cylinder was skipping.

Does 4,000 lb Johnson Skihorse with reverse count?
    My Dad worked in an auto parts store that sold Skidoo, what did he buy? a behemoth slow monstrosity. I remember getting it stuck and had to shovel it out because we couldn’t pick it up.

Outside the bars when everyone was ready to go home was always a good time! Took up to an hour to get most of the sleds started. Others had to hitch a ride or be towed. Seeing sleds stranded on the side of the trail was common. Lets not forget too the awesome 3" of suspension travel every sled had back then. But at least with the boggy wheel you could run the roads all you want, just have to replace the skegs when you got home.

Anyhow I have material in the shop! I am going to start in on the main frame today. Hope to get the rectangle (roller surround) built and hopefully the front hitch triangle. They are supposed to deliver the culvert yesterday or today and there is no culvert here yet sooo. The frame will be all 2.5x3/16" square tube and I picked up 1/2" plate for the end caps and stuff.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829