Adjusting Idle to meet RPM/Hz Requirements TB 302 Airpak
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Adjusting Idle to meet RPM/Hz Requirements TB 302 Airpak

I decided to check the Hz output on my Carburated 302 airpak this weekend and on High idle (No load) the meter was registering 58/59 Hertz. I read the manual and the only thing I could find was how to get the machine to display RPM (Start welding machine, then flip start switch from Run-Idle 3 times) and it displayed a RPM of 35xx-36xx. It seems to be welding okay, but I recall reading somewhere if the machine isn't running at the proper output it can be hard on the board and possibly destroy one. I remember reading a while ago the 120VAC at high idle should display 62.5Hz and the machine should be at 3700RPM high Idle. The manual I have I downloaded from Millers site but it doesn't seem to have a lot of information about adjusting the idle speed (Kohler CH750). Any pointers or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Adjusting Idle to meet RPM/Hz Requirements TB 302 Airpak

Your TB302 Airpak incorporates an electronic governor controlled stepper motor to regulate engine speed is non-adjustable and self calibrates upon start-up. As a result, the no-load 62.5Hz you've read about doesn't apply to the Kohler CH750 in this application as it doesn't experience the same 100-150rpm speed droop when under load that a mechanical flyweight governor does.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Perfect thanks a lot that's probably why I couldn't find any information about this in the manual. Much appreciated thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Your TB302 Airpak incorporates an electronic governor controlled stepper motor to regulate engine speed is non-adjustable and self calibrates upon start-up. As a result, the no-load 62.5Hz you've read about doesn't apply to the Kohler CH750 in this application as it doesn't experience the same 100-150rpm speed droop when under load that a mechanical flyweight governor does.
    Now I know why Welding Web pays you the big bucks.

Well they tell me the check must be lost in the mail but then, I just make it up as I go anyway.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!