Switch to switch between 220 dryer and welder outlets?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Switch to switch between 220 dryer and welder outlets?

Using the dryer circuit is the ONLY option I have for 220vac 30A.
    for the welder I have it will be adequate, which is all I can do for now.

So far I haven't had any luck finding anything searching.

I would like to do this since currently I would have to move my dryer everytime I wanted to plug the welder in. Moving the dryer won't be easy, not much room to work in. Getting to the outlet to change plugs is almost impossible right now.
    Adding a new circuit isn't going to happen since we rent. But the switch I could do and then remove when we move, if ever.
    I might be able to move the dryer outlet higher to avoid moving the dryer, which might be the only real compromise.

Trying to do it right so only one or the other could be on at a time. My other thought would be to add an outlet to the current dryer outlet back to back so the welder outlet would be outside (no need for an extension cable) but that idea doesn't thrill me.

Open to any other suggestions within reason. Moving isn't an option.

Thanks,
    Russ
    RIP Mallory, we miss you. Now you have Casey to keep you company.

Re: Switch to switch between 220 dryer and welder outlets?

There are transfer switches available for generator installations that have mechanical linkage between two breakers that only allow one or the other to be on.

Not sure why you wouldn't use the idea in your second-to-last paragraph. Seems that would work.

Or you could make an adapter cord that is Y shaped. Male plug that goes into the dryer outlet and two females, one each for dryer and welder.

I'd agree on the Y cable idea. Or making an extension for your dryer so you don't have to move it every time. Either would work just fine without doing anything permanent.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I want a CNC torchmate with a Plasma cutter!

Hard wire a branch circit off of the dryer line to the welder outlet. Put the welder outlet where ever you want. No need for a transfer switch. Just don't run the dryer while welding.

Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

I'm for raising the outlet up. Mine is above the dryer.

Zero work to do when you leave.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

If you want it to be impossible to run more than one at a time, making a suitable length extension cord with one female end would be your easiest and cheapest solution.

Raising the outlet up would work also but then have to repair where it was, think about what if the wire in the wall isn't long enough, and what kind of grief are you going to get from the landlord if he finds out you did that.

Wire nutting an extra length of 220 wire to the existing and sealing that in a wall is a real bad idea and I doubt there's enough slack to move it more than a little bit.
    Last edited by JD1; 11-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post

......Wire nutting an extra length of 220 wire to the existing and sealing that in a wall is a real bad idea and I doubt there's enough slack to move it more than a little bit.
    If that's what you meant by "adding an outlet back to back", I strongly agree with JD1; not a good plan at all.

You could put a junction box with a blank faceplate where the current outlet is and use that to contain the extra wire run to the new location but then you have the landlord and unauthorized electrical modifications to deal with.

Use a metal box and make a cord from it to the outlet you want to connect to and use the same outlet in it and then screw it to something where you can reach it. You could even make an upside down T stand for it if you can't attach it to the wall anywhere.
    Hobart Beta-MIG 1800
    Montgomery ward 295 Amp stick welder

The key to welding is to go slow and wing it.

Flat lands of Colorado, where the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by DanD78 View Post
    Hard wire a branch circuit off of the dryer line to the welder outlet. Put the welder outlet where ever you want. No need for a transfer switch. Just don't run the dryer while welding.
    Dan D.
    this is the better way to do some think like this, IMO

The smart choice ? Go to an electrical supply house( no Depots Bloze or other such nonsense) and ask for the number of an independent electrician they like. Go the the ATM and grab about $400. That'll get you fixed up right. You'll probably make a new friend too

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    The smart choice ? Go to an electrical supply house( no Depots Bloze or other such nonsense) and ask for the number of an independent electrician they like. Go the the ATM and grab about $400. That'll get you fixed up right. You'll probably make a new friend too
    He can't- he is in a rental. Can not touch the electrical unless approved by the landlord. "Adding a new circuit isn't going to happen since we rent"

He really can't/shoudn't hardwire anything because of the rental situation. Depends on his landlord.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

is the dryer receptacle a 3-wire or 4-wire ?
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Dryers get dedicated circuits.
    Welders get dedicated circuits.
    The idea is that there be no splices to overheat.
    Run a circuit to the welder. give it its own breaker. We install sub panels all the time.
    You are reinventing the wheel. Doing a proper job would cost less.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I know a way that will work, but will have a somewhat unnecessary requirement to use a 120V source. I built a relay box to have a 240V source on a timer, and didn't want to get a 240V timer. I only needed a single throw relay, but could only find double throw, but it works fine. I just don't have anything connected to the output terminals for when it's not energized. You would need the double throw for your situation.

https://www.frys.com/product/1667853...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You'll want to get a 6x6 junction box or bigger, an additional dryer cord to plug to the wall, and two receptacles. One receptacle for the dryer plug, and another for whatever you want for your welder.

You'll want to use 10 gauge wiring for the receptacles to the relay. You'll need a 120V power cord, 16/3 or 18/3 will work. Mounting the receptacles is up to you. 6x6 might be a little tight to flush mount them in the box with the relay, or you can get the housings for them and mount them to the box. You'll need miscellaneous hardware to do all the mounting.

I don't want to go into detail about wiring up the relay because they are pretty standard and you can look it up all over the place online. But with this set up, you can physically only have power to one receptacle at a time, unless you somehow create a short inside the junction box. Power will go from the wall to the dryer as normal. When you plug in the 120V, it'll switch the relay poles and disconnect the dryer receptacle and put power to the secondary receptacle.

You could do the same with this
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Am...FQmwTwodhHsPDw
    without having to use a 120V source, but I think using the relay would end up being cheaper by a little bit. And later on if you don't need it anymore, switch out the receptacles for up to 4 NEMA 6-15/20 receptacles and sell the unit as a 240V grow light controller for more than it cost you to make it.

And this doesn't get "installed" so it doesn't need to be done by anyone specific. It's a stand alone unit that would get plugged into the outlet, like an over sized powerstrip. But you can mount it to the wall if you want, just like you can mount a power strip to the wall if you wanted.
    Last edited by TheBFA; 11-14-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Use a plug-in splitter. Cheap, effective and you can take it with you when you leave.

Thanks, guys.

I hadn't even thought of the Y splitter. That might be the best way for me to go.

Even though my landlord is my brother, I'd rather not have to mess with any wiring that I couldn't easily undo. Once we move (if we ever do) I am pretty sure he plans on selling the house and I don't want to leave any wiring issues. If it was my house I'd have already run another circuit.

Someone asked if the dryer outlet was 3 or 4 prong. I think it is 3, but I honestly don't remember. Been 3.5 years since I hooked up the dryer.
    I will have to double check that before I get too involved in this.

Russ
    Last edited by russ69coupe; 11-15-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    RIP Mallory, we miss you. Now you have Casey to keep you company.

Just don't turn on dryer when welding

Dave
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe9/
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendmanual/

Amazon books that may help
    Machinist Handbook
    Machinist Guide
    Single To Three Phase Simplified

Would a properly installed welder outlet on a separate circuit
    really be a "wiring issue" if you were to move out? Could be
    a selling point for many perspective buyers.(like WW members)
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A

Vintage-
    -South Bend 9in. lathe
    -South Bend 7in. shaper
    -Craftsman power hacksaw
    -FibreMetal 710
    -B&D mag drill
    Cheapo-
    - Chinese mill/drill

Quote Originally Posted by russ69coupe View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I hadn't even thought of the Y splitter. That might be the best way for me to go.

Even though my landlord is my brother, I'd rather not have to mess with any wiring that I couldn't easily undo. Once we move (if we ever do) I am pretty sure he plans on selling the house and I don't want to leave any wiring issues. If it was my house I'd have already run another circuit.

Someone asked if the dryer outlet was 3 or 4 prong. I think it is 3, but I honestly don't remember. Been 3.5 years since I hooked up the dryer.

Russ
    OMG- why don't people put pertinent info in the first post!!?

Wire a separate circuit for the welding machine and be done with it. Seriously, call an electrician to get a quote or if you are comfortable enough you can do it yourself.

The new welding circuit will never be an issue when it comes time to sell.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by russ69coupe View Post

Russ
    If the cord is gray and flat it's 3 wire, if it's round and black it's 4 wire.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Use two plugs one dryer and for the welder

Dave
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe9/
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendmanual/

Amazon books that may help
    Machinist Handbook
    Machinist Guide
    Single To Three Phase Simplified

Here's what worked for me:

Buy a 4 ft 'dryer pigtail', with pins and current rating that match your dryer's cord. Cheapest one I saw online just now was $6.37 @ Sears. I couldn't copy that photo so here's one similar:

Name:  30170.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  24.2 KB

Make an extension cord using the pigtail. At the raw end attach a surface mount outlet similar to this second photo but with the pin configuration matching the dryer, assuming your welder can plug into that. Mount the new outlet on the wall where you can reach it, to plug in the dryer or welder as needed. When you eventually move out of the rental and take the extension with you, only the mounting screw holes will reveal there was an extension used.

Here's an example from another welding site. In that case he made the extension cord as an adapter to get to a 'welder' style outlet. I use one like this. The pigtail was new, unused, cheap from Goodwill and the surface mount outlet came from Ebay. In my case the 4 ft length of this extension/adapter adds length I need to locate the welder more conveniently.

Name:  plugs1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  40.9 KB
    HF Mig 180 with all the mods
    Grizzly H8153 Inverter Tig,Stick
    Wards Powr-Kraft AC 230. Stick,Carbon Arc