Switch to switch between 220 dryer and welder outlets? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Switch to switch between 220 dryer and welder outlets?

Dual voltage welder . Weld off 120v until you possibly move.

30amps? What type welder are you using?

Sorry, "welder...which is all I can do for now" will your welder work off 30 amps?

I am for raising the outlet, which is the way I did mine years ago.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 11-20-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I am for raising the outlet, which is the way I did mine years ago.
    That's the right way to do it but the OP said he's in a rental and can't modify anything.

That's why I suggested the 'dryer pigtail' extension cord I posted above, to make a temporary outlet up where he can plug in the dryer or welder alternately. Then when he moves out plug the dryer back into the inaccessible outlet low down behind it.
    HF Mig 180 with all the mods
    Grizzly H8153 Inverter Tig,Stick
    Wards Powr-Kraft AC 230. Stick,Carbon Arc

One morning I looked around. Had most of what I needed, made a phone call. Later that day stuff arrived. I spent two hours installing. I just don't understand wasting weeks obsessing about how best to do it wrong. Will you weld in the laundry room?????????
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Thanks again, guys.

We just had a death in the family which is impacting our finances long term, so this has gotten shoved off the burner for right now along with some other projects, but that dryer pigtail extension cord looks like the easiest way for me to go once we get our finances back together.

As far as equipment goes, most won't like it. I have a HF 90 amp flux only, and a HF 170 mig machine. Both bought used. The 170 is obviously the one I'd be needing the 220VAC for. Pretty sure I'd be fine with 30amps for that. Mostly will be working with automotive sheet metal and maybe up to 1/8th inch angle making some mounting brackets. Buying a dual voltage unit won't be happening. Was hoping I could get a cheaper used Lincoln or Miller off of CL, but the change in finances has killed any hopes of that for now. Oh well. Stuff happens.

Russ
    Last edited by russ69coupe; Today at 05:31 AM.
    RIP Mallory, we miss you. Now you have Casey to keep you company.