Did I buy the right helmet?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Did I buy the right helmet?

    At over $300 I’d like to know if i did this wisely. I cut, grind, weld, torch, and everything else. Lately I’ve been going back and forth between grinding saftey glasses, shade 5 lincoln cutting glasses, my welding helmet, and it’s becoming annoying.

    I decided I’d just find something that could do everything. I ended up today with the Miller digital infinity departed. I wanted to try it on before ordering so went to a local supply and picked it up for $329. There are always special deals on the interweb, but the interweb doesn’t let me try before i buy so i went ahead and got it locally.

    Was there any better choice in helmet for my needs or would people who have this one approve of using it for everything? I know it SAYS it will do everything and then some, but always best to ask people who have one if there are any issues.

    I’d like for this to be the only one I buy for a long time so I bit the bullet.


    Name:  932_DB75_F-04_D6-463_D-_A135-28593019_D65_B.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  129.6 KB
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,527

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    mostly personal preference. I personally don't like miller helmets. I think they are heavy and have a green tint, but lots of people do like them. I also prefer a light weight hood. My optrel is about the lightest on the market (vega view 2.5) and I have a different one for grinding.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    RazorMig 180 & Spoolgun
    Vipercut 30 Plasma
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    If you can keep plenty of light on your work area, it'll do fine. But trying to grind with a tinted shield can be annoying without enough light. Autohoods aren't the best for that, unless you get one with the flip up front. But those come with the cost of extra weight, and higher prices usually. I don't think there is a hood that anyone has found that is ideal for every situation.

    One thing that helps with convenience for a multi use hood is having an exterior grind mode button. I don't know every model that has it, but the new Speedglas 9100XXi does. I just have to press on the side of the face molding for a second to lock it into grind mode, then press it again to go back to welding mode without having to lift my hood and reach in trying to press buttons with gloves on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    mostly personal preference. I personally don't like miller helmets. I think they are heavy and have a green tint, but lots of people do like them. I also prefer a light weight hood. My optrel is about the lightest on the market (vega view 2.5) and I have a different one for grinding.
    Maybe this one is different from your previous experience because ironically the reason I bought this one is because of the orange arc. My previous helmet was green and i hated it. This one is as close to true color orange as I’ve found. Perhaps I’d stick my head in your helmet and change my mind on what orange is, but i swear i bought this one because it was creamsicle orange and that was a key point for purchase. I agree it is heavier than what i had before, but idk how heavy compared to other quality helmets.
    Last edited by One1; 11-14-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    If you can keep plenty of light on your work area, it'll do fine. But trying to grind with a tinted shield can be annoying without enough light. Autohoods aren't the best for that, unless you get one with the flip up front. But those come with the cost of extra weight, and higher prices usually. I don't think there is a hood that anyone has found that is ideal for every situation.

    One thing that helps with convenience for a multi use hood is having an exterior grind mode button. I don't know every model that has it, but the new Speedglas 9100XXi does. I just have to press on the side of the face molding for a second to lock it into grind mode, then press it again to go back to welding mode without having to lift my hood and reach in trying to press buttons with gloves on.
    I think the grind mode on this is just on the inside. I’ll probably have to get good at hitting it blindly. That part I don’t really feel is an inconvenience since time isn’t a factor for me, but agreeably an external button would be nifty. I wouldn’t mind that at all. Lol. Mostly i want to get rid of the glasses lying around for each thing and just use one item.
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,092

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    LOL
    About the cost of the new roof for my shop.....
    I don't call that thing a wise investment but if ya got the cha-ching get some bling. It's a nice piece
    Name:  PB141438.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  115.4 KB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,364

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    The button on the inside is a PIA- Current hood. Hobart Pro Series
    The button on the outside is a little less of a pain- old hood. Optrel satellite
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    The button on the inside is a PIA- Current hood. Hobart Pro Series
    The button on the outside is a little less of a pain- old hood. Optrel satellite
    The button on the new Speedglas is cycled by just pressing on the side of the face piece. It flexes and has a tab on the backside that presses the actual button. So you don't have to try to find it. I can cycle it with my shoulder, back of my wrist, and anything I can press my hood against when I'm wearing it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,364

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    The button on the new Speedglas is cycled by just pressing on the side of the face piece. It flexes and has a tab on the backside that presses the actual button. So you don't have to try to find it. I can cycle it with my shoulder, back of my wrist, and anything I can press my hood against when I'm wearing it.
    That sounds slick.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,750

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    I like that high quality air dryer mount bonzoo! I bought my Jackson nexgen for 160$ used on CL

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    The button on the new Speedglas is cycled by just pressing on the side of the face piece. It flexes and has a tab on the backside that presses the actual button. So you don't have to try to find it. I can cycle it with my shoulder, back of my wrist, and anything I can press my hood against when I'm wearing it.
    That is done right. I have no problem adding a button to this so that sounds like a future plan. I used to design circuits and the surface mount switches are easy to tap into.
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    LOL
    About the cost of the new roof for my shop.....
    I don't call that thing a wise investment but if ya got the cha-ching get some bling. It's a nice piece
    Name:  PB141438.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  115.4 KB
    I have that as well.. this is my 4th helmet upgrade. Going to the auto helmet was the biggest jump for production because I didn’t have to keep lifting the lens. Honestly my little harrible freight auto helmet works really well. My biggest complaint is the green tint it has, otherwise it’s a great working helmet for $50.


    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    That is done right. I have no problem adding a button to this so that sounds like a future plan. I used to design circuits and the surface mount switches are easy to tap into.
    Here is what it looks like to give you an idea.
    Name:  20171114_171323.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  56.3 KB

    The tab (gray) that activates the microswitch (purple)
    Name:  20171114_171354.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  62.5 KB

    With the face panel off
    Name:  20171114_171833.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.3 KB
    Last edited by TheBFA; 11-14-2017 at 07:19 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,657

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    I know guys that love the Infinity helmet. They like the headgear and wide view plus the rebate.
    You did get the rebate right??

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sechelt, BC
    Posts
    129

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Im mystified by the grind button. Is it because grinding will make it darken and you want to over-ride that? Otherwise, arc - dark, no arc - light.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,364

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Im mystified by the grind button. Is it because grinding will make it darken and you want to over-ride that? Otherwise, arc - dark, no arc - light.
    Correct- without Grind Mode the AD sensor will see the sparks from grinding the same as the light from the arc during welding and then do its job and go dark- but you don't want it dark during grinding
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    247

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Now that I have my new pair of "working" glasses (for clear viewing from 30 cm to 2 m, and not only an old pair of progressive), I can appreciate my "Ergotech" LCD and its external buttons (shade plus grinding position, reaction speed, and low shade mode) .
    It is not the most expensive hood but It does the job, and is light . http://www.gysusa.com/product-p/044173.htm (there are 2 ajustable straps on the top of the gear, not one as pictured here -may be old documentation)

    I had to use a fixed shade with the old glasses, but now I feel as if I am new (perfect to work on computer screens BTW, at 59€ the pair of glasses complete, if I did new I would have buy some a long time ago)
    I could check with different strength glasses after the visit with the ophthalmologist, the oculist had the equipment to make more checks and we adjusted a little the original prescription

    I fell like watching a movie when welding now And when i will use the fixed shade, I will have the impression of looking with a microscope
    Last edited by olek; 11-14-2017 at 09:12 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    n.w. of chicago
    Posts
    546

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    The button on the new Speedglas is cycled by just pressing on the side of the face piece. It flexes and has a tab on the backside that presses the actual button. So you don't have to try to find it. I can cycle it with my shoulder, back of my wrist, and anything I can press my hood against when I'm wearing it.
    What if your out of position and bump it won't you get flashed

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    What if your out of position and bump it won't you get flashed
    That can and has happened. But you have to give it a long press, just a quick bump won't do it. When you use it enough, you get used to where the pressure needs to be to operate it, and you can tell when you are getting pressure on that spot if you have your head up in somewhere. I would say it's about a 1" area you need direct pressure on, so you can slightly offset your hood to try to avoid it being pressed against something.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    n.w. of chicago
    Posts
    546

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    I guarantee I would somehow hit that button in the middle of a wheat field hahaha, back to the original poster if you like it and it's clear you did good, personally I wanna try the 2.5 optrel since I lost my one eye low light situation is 10 times worse than before and I always used fixed lens most of time but got used to auto dark on weird start position welds and I guess I'm one of those sissies now

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    Here is what it looks like to give you an ideA

    The tab (gray) that activates the microswitch (purple)


    With the face panel off
    Nice, thank you!
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I know guys that love the Infinity helmet. They like the headgear and wide view plus the rebate.
    You did get the rebate right??
    Yep! sure did.
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga tennessee
    Posts
    81

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Im mystified by the grind button. Is it because grinding will make it darken and you want to over-ride that? Otherwise, arc - dark, no arc - light.
    In grind mode it can darker to shade 3 IF it activates.
    Lincoln AC-225, 3200 HD Weld Pak, Cutwelder Torch Pack
    Miller Digital Infinity Departed

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,657

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    Yep! sure did.
    I see it in the photo now. It wasn't loading when I asked.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,092

    Re: Did I buy the right helmet?

    Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    I have that as well.. this is my 4th helmet upgrade. Going to the auto helmet was the biggest jump for production because I didn’t have to keep lifting the lens. Honestly my little harrible freight auto helmet works really well. My biggest complaint is the green tint it has, otherwise it’s a great working helmet for $50.
    Hang on there lil bro....... that ol pipeliner is toting an Arc One #10 auto/solar. It only gets lifted or closed when I break the grinder out for a couple seconds. I'm not a total cave man

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement