Fixing a trailer bumper
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Fixing a trailer bumper

i purchased this trailer new in 05 and have ran the crap out of it its gotten draged through ditches and hicentered many times and finally the lights wouldnt stay in,brakes dont work, and its time to fix it, and rewire it. got the rear all cut apart, have new wiring components ordered, and am thinking about how I can change the bumper height. And have everything still work like it did. Im wondering about puting a couple of rollers like dumpsters use right under the back of of the bumper out of site if that would work?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: Fixing a trailer bumper

http://prtlids.com/Products.aspx?Cat=5.1.
    Excellent company to do business with.

I would repair
    it and add a couple “pipe outside of a pipe” rollers underneath the back. Use large pipe so that they don’t get torn off.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Either some rollers or skid plates. I have a flat bed with a 5' tail and it is for sure the low spot when working off road. I will see what you come up with.

Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

I had a trailer very similar to that. The rear lamps were recessed into the closing panel which was an 8" channel. To the bottom of this I split a, (full width of the trailer) 8" piece of pipe and welded a 3/8" plate lengthwise into the opening, closing the "C" shape and kind of making it a "D" shape. I then welded this to the bottom of the trailer closing panel. Being full trailer width it certainly allowed the trailer to "slide" over high center rather than hang up, and the trailer lamps were not blocked.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

What are you hauling on it

If your on concrete or blacktop rollers help, but otherwise usually worse than nothing. I would Make the rear out of 3x4x3/16 tube with rubber mounted lights, then add a couple plate skids Athenian rails. The tibe gives a solid bumper and encorporates light mounts into it. Plate the ends of the tube and put your side markers in there too.

Jon
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw