Miller Multimatic 215...another thread...smh
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller Multimatic 215...another thread...smh

We'll I hate to be the new guy on here asking the same old question but I just truly want to make sure I will be happy with this unit when I get it...

So I live two lives, one at home and one at sea. When I am at sea, I have welders, lathe's and milling machines. When I am home, I dont have much.

On the ship we have welders off all sorts from little Maxistar 161 up to huge fixed in place welders.

At home I have a need to mess around with an Aluminum spool gun type work and some basic steel welding, all pretty small.

My annoyance is that my new ship doesnt have a 120 welder. Sure I am talking the company into getting one, because it has a time and place for it. I hate lugging around 450V cords/leads all over the place to put on a 1/8" wire hanger that fell off. Sometimes it seems like we spend 2 hours setting up the welder and 2 minutes welding it, but that is the life. On prior ships we have had the Maxistar 161 I believe, it barely gets by but it works.

So I have some time on my hands and want to play.

So for some reason the Multimatic 200 always striked my eye, it just looks perfect for this application. However the Multimatic 215 seems to just have a bit more I think. Been going back and forth on them, but worried that the Multimatic 200 doenst have the same little punch on a mere 10amps welding where the 215 says it has it, but you know it reminds me of a salesman pitch... In my mind these all just will do a bit better than the Maxistar 161 on 120volts, but thinking about and open to it.

I really want to stay with Miller, because sometimes I do believe you get what you pay for...

So here I am about to stop in Hawaii for a few days, I see a good price on the Multimatic 200, same price as Cyberweld, local pick up, I think there is a $200 rebate on it still. Then on the way home to the States I can play with it a little bit and then bring it home.

Any advice?

Re: Miller Multimatic 215...another thread...smh

I cannot help you with the question you asked. I am sure someone familiar with those machines will help you shortly. I am am curious to what welders you have on the ship if you do not mind sharing some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only constant in life is there is never enough chains

You get more bang for the buck with the 215.

The 200 just gets you the durable Pelican case for protection.

If you think you'll be hauling the welder around a lot then go with the 200
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

On this ship we have...

Miller Dialarc 250 fixed in the engine room
    Miller XMT 350CC/CV for carrying around to large projects.
    ArcMaster 400MST

It annoys me to carry this stuff around to weld up a little 1/8" wire hanger for a light...

On other ships we see alot of UNITOR products.

The US Gov't seemed to do a group buy on the Maxistar's a while back for the purpose of the smaller welding projects.

CEshawn, i’m Retired MEBA chief and on my last ship I got a Miller cst 280 and we plugged it into a 480 volt reefer outlet on whatever hatch we were working on. One reefer extension cord got the machine up in the hatch and usually a short ground clamp and 50 foot of welding led was all you needed. We took. 2wheeler and modified it to carry the welder and the basic cables you needed and then a cadet with a bucket for the helmet, gloves and rods and you were off and running.

If you are able to get the 215 I’m sure you will like it, as long as you are ok with flux core or able to get gas easily. Where I’m working now we have a Miller 211 that I like a lot; if you don’t need the tig function of the 215 you might save some dough on your M&R budget by going with the 211.

What ship are you on? I’ve seen some of the old lash ships ran a 2/0 welding cable up the side of the hatches with a connector at each hatch that allowed you to just turn the welder on and tie a short lead in at the hatch you needed to work on. The PCTC I was on we ran a welding lead up the elevator trunk with a connector at each landing so you could just tie in at the deck you needed and run lead to where you were working.theres more than one way to skin a cat , if you can get the port engineer to cough up the money for a 120 volt welder the 215 or the 211 are a good choice.

Small World... AMO Chief... USNS Stockham...

Yup, we use container plugs as well as if you've been on gov't ships we have submersible pump outlets everywhere.

See it was funny, I remember at our old Mass.Maritime training ship, you had the fixed welder onboard with outlets all over the ship, what a thought!

This 215 right now would be for myself, as I want it for at home and just happen to make it into port that has them 5 miles from the gate, same price as online and the rebate. I have actually been looking at a Unitor 120V welder for the ship to buy, seems to carry just a little more and of course is twice the money.

TIG... yeah sadly this ship isnt set up with anything for tig right now, either AC/DC.

Its funny because you never know what your going to get on a ship and it have. I know I have been on tugboats with no Welders, than sailing large LMSR's with 1 welder, to oceanographic ships that have welders all over the place.

Then you also know how typical it is to be based on the people there. If you weld, you are going to have stuff, if you dont, your not going to order it. I just left a permanent gig on another ship for about 3 or 4 years to come over here.

The older generation you know would hit the beach for girls and beers... Me, Id rather buy a welder and download a bunch of youtube videos, ha! Thanks for chiming in.

If it’s for your home then the 215 is gonna be perfect. The 211 at work is mig only but we have big stuff in the shop , the portability and dual voltage of the 211 were the selling big points for us, I had it inside a holding tank for 3 weeks last winter while I was doing repairs. The 215 gives a lot more options grab a spool gun and you are all set .

I went to MMA as well, class of ‘86 when did you attend?

I got out in 2002 started in 1996, go figure... Living up on Cape Cod now when home... What are you doing for work now?

Up in New Hampshire working on some of the bigger boats on the Winnipesaukee

Ha! When Im not on the ship, Im down the cape working my downeast RP35 and working on about six other fishing boats... So I took some welding classes, but never got into TIG. One day I really just want to sit down on my own and TIG aluminum. I got a couple friends to help me, but I know its hard. But crap, I couldnt weld after I took classes but playing around in the engine room, I learned, figure same for TIG. To be honest, I was going to buy the PROTIG200 at Harbor freight to mess with TIG/AC, but we'll see.

I did that, I just bought an AHP alpha Tig. I took a night class at the local high school adult education program. Then I just kept on practicing at home. I’m far from an expert but it looks passable when I’m done and it stays together so I got that going for me.......

So I was at AirGas today and got my hands on the 215. I've seen it before but in my head it was larger than I thought. So I did not buy it. I know I am taking to long with this decision. I wish they had the 200 in stock.

200 is only bigger because it is stuffed inside a pelican case.

You mentioned this is for home use- why pay extra for a machine because it has a case that you don't really need?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Ahh that is my mistake... for at home use but... its all relative... It is not for ship use... my home use for doing trailer repairs in friend yards, boat repairs outside the shop...

Shawn, what’s it going to cost you to get it home? Where is pay off? if it’s on the west coast it might be cheaper to just buy a welder locally.

I'm going to the yard and will have my truck... I just wanted a toy to play with going from Pacific back to Florida!