Trailer Build From 4x4x3/8 angle
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trailer Build From 4x4x3/8 angle

So I have a lot of 4x4x3/8" angle here that I want to build a 16 foot trailer out of primarily to haul firewood. I plan of following the guidelines from the Champion Trailers catalog. Any thoughts on what this could handle weight wise?

Re: Trailer Build From 4x4x3/8 angle

Mad Mach',
    pretty short on details!!! Like spans, layout, lateral supports, axle location, axle rating, tire ratings, tongue arrangement... "all that jazz"!!! How could someone reply without the details that influence the frame's build? Post a quick sketch of your current ideas to get feedback?

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK
    Last edited by Kevin Morin; 01-11-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo's

Welcome to the forum mad machinist! Have fun getting your wood

Pretty much what ever the axle(s) are. 10-to-12klb.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

First you have to determine what your tires will carry, then you can factor in the your frame capability, then factor in your tow vehicle capability.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Mad Machinist

Angle-iron in tension, is good - angle-iron in compression,
    is less good - angle iron on the horizontal, is least-good.

Provide - pics or prints - for excoriation of your plan . . .

Opus

That would easily handle 7k and maybe 10k
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

how long are the pieces, normally when a guy has a bunch of this it's lintels from a demo'ed building.

Remember, the heavier the trailer, the lighter the load you can carry on the tires.

Sorry everyone I should have posted more details. Axles are going to be 5200 pound axles in a dual configuration for a max weight of 10,400 with the trailer weight, although it will never see this much weight. Max the trailer will see is 6000 lbs.

I have two continuous lengths of 14 foot, so that is the length of the trailer and width will be 76 inches per the Champion trailers guidelines. Although those guidelines call for a crossmember every three feet I am going to put one every 24 inches.

I'll try to get a drawing up to be " excoriated". LOL.

Hello Mad

Worth noting is that the overhang from the axle spring seats to the hubs has a lot to do with the carrying capacity of the axles. When you spec the axles be sure to call out the spring seat width along with the width from brake backing plate to backing plate or hub to hub (whichever the axle maker uses). Even a 8" overhang from the seats to the backing plate can de-rate an axle considerably.

Another item worth considering is trailer parking brakes. I own several former military trailer with them and really like them. When I ordered 3500 pound electric brake axles last winter for a cargo trailer project it was only $60/axle more for parking brakes and maybe another $120 for the cables and handle (I already had military trailer take-off handles). Most double axle applications will work fine with one parking brake axle.

While not a welding concern a trailer in this weight range will need brakes so you will likely be using a 7-wire RV style wiring harness. Take advantage of the back-up light wire and put back up light on the trailer (brown wire in the center post of the connector).

I get most of my trailer accessories and tires from eastermarine.com including air brake parts for the bigger trucks and trailers. They are the cheapest source of E-track I've found although other places have better strap prices and/or selection.

Lance
    Lance

Miller:
    Bobcat 225
    Dialarc 250P
    2x Miller Dialarc 250s (for now)

Milwaukee:
    Hole Hawg
    Porta-band
    9" 15 Amp grinder

Evolution:
    9" metal cutting circular saw

I have a sure-trac equipment lowboy tag along trailer that is rated at 14,000# with the side rails made of I believe 4x6" angle. It holds my 10,000 jcb 520 fine for the last 7 years. If I get out there today, I will take some pictures for you.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk