Dipping my toe in the water.. Looking for any input on debugging this AHP AlphaTig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Dipping my toe in the water.. Looking for any input on debugging this AHP AlphaTig

I received an AlphaTig 200 yesterday, I don't have any consumables or gas yet to test it with. The most I can do right now is plug it in and turn the dials, which I have done.

The main amps dial is really poorly calibrated it seems, when the dial points to 100, it's saying 72, when the dial points to 200 it says 150 amps.
    Is this normal?

I doubt it matters but pulse is turned off if that helps any.

Re: Dipping my toe in the water.. Looking for any input on debugging this AHP AlphaTi

It's on household current so that is likely capping it out, as I mentioned this is just a prelim kick the tires thing till I get things properly set up.

Re: Dipping my toe in the water.. Looking for any input on debugging this AHP AlphaTi

The max amps 110v vs 220v are about 25% less, looks like that is what you are getting? Late now, brain doesnt like math so much!

I gave up on the digital display on my Alphatig. I checked the output with a DC clampmeter while stick welding one time. The output seems to match the setting on the knob within just a few amps and the display was way off. With 110V the display seemed to be 50% or less of the output. With 220V is seemed to be about 70 or 80% of the true output. I should probably just put some black tape over it.
    "I've cut it twice and it's still too short!"

Miller Thunderbolt AC
    Hobart Handler 135
    AHP Alphatig 200X

Late reply. When plugged into a 120/110V outlet the display will not match the knob. It can't output full amperage on that source power. I suspect it's just the way the internals work that the knob just becomes an adjustment and the display tells you where it's really set. If you plug it into a 220V outlet the display and knob will track very close (though not perfect). I go by the display because it seems accurate enough to me.

Finally got some arc time on it, i'm a complete novice so my welding results reflect it but the meter (on the tig box) is within 2-3 amps of being correct only on the max rated voltage for it. If on 120 it's off by approximately 30 amps.
    I haven't put a volt meter to it yet but plan to.

All welders have volt-amperage curves (even if not shown in the manual):
    http://www.esabna.com/euweb/awtc/lesson1_30.htm
    The input power and type of welder all affect on how the curve behaves.
    Last edited by Denis G; 01-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.