RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: shear

shear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25278

ever seen one like this?? any insight??

Stangnet
    Shop Full Of Stuff.

Joey

its a copy of a BEVERLY shear, if your not going to use it dayin and day out it will work out fine. but if its going to get day in and day out heavy abuse step up to the beverly !!

brian

To me it looks more like a small shear than a Beverly shear. A true Beverly shear could not cut round stock. Or I should say should'nt cut round stock. That's real hard on the blades.
    Look here for a Beverly shear http://www.tinmantech.com/html/beverly_shear_b1.htm
    MillerMatic 175
    Thermal Dynamics Drag-Gun Plasma
    Airco Bumblebee AC/DC SMAW
    Victor Super-Range II oxy/act

fla jim Guest
    Damn our boy has done it again. Posted information without knowing what he's talking about
    A "Beverly" shear is throatless allowing you to cut large pieces or curves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

fla jim Guest
    The shear on E-bay will just cut straight, limited to the width of the blade.
    Please research your posts, and know what your talking about!
    I see you have been having problems overt on the dark side, I guess everyone is picking on you over there too.
    "It's better to keep quiet, and have people think your a fool, that open your mouth, and prove them right"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fla jim; 03-11-2004 at 01:26 PM.

I was trying to point that out too.
    MillerMatic 175

i might get one if it really can cut 1/8" flat bar

Stangnet
    Shop Full Of Stuff.

Joey

JIM HAS SPOKEN !!! SO LETS ALL BOW DOWN !!!!! i have used a beverly shear for over a year now and i own a b3.

And you still couldn't tell the difference between it and the picture in the link of the little shear?
    MillerMatic 175

*looks above and sighs*

http://www.lowbucktools.com/beverly.html
    http://www.mittlerbros.com/Specialty_hand_tools_4.htm
    etc..

There is, in fact, a company in chicago named beverly, which is famous for thier throatless shear design, copied the world over, to the point of being a commonly accepted name. They make some other stuff tho, noteably, the slitting shear.Which is what this thing looks to be a copy of.

The 'real' one, at 450$ has some impressive stats (see the lowbuck site above), and is something i have been considering for clean trimming small pieces of metal for bracketry. I think buying a knockoff would be fine, just make sure you can source new blades, and possible compatibility with 'the real beverly' blades.

Consider the force on a shear blade, and the necessity for it to be both hard and durable. Factor in the forces on the frame.
    Beverly is a forged steel frame with probably over 50 years of metalurgy in the blades, while a knockoff is just a knockoff.
    Somebody please tell me the sense of buying a knockoff with a cheap cast iron frame and halfassed blades?
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

I dunno, different levels of knockoff for different durability requirements. Same argument as the 4" grinders.. I buy HF grinders for 14 bucks a pop. They last me, at my level of use for 2+ years. I have 5 of them. thats 600$ worth of makita, for 100$.

On a shear, the blade is the big factor. A replacement blade for that ss-3 is almost 200$. If it lasts 20 years, thats 650$ of tool investment. An 80$ ebay knock off, with 100$ blades that last 5 years.. takes 25 years before you 'shoulda bought the name brand'.

i had the one i played with at a show bookmarked at home.. http://www.jettools.com/JETMetal/Tools/SS8.html runs about 350$, havent priced blades yet, but i'd expect 150-200$. I played with this at a tool show and really liked it. I dont know that i would have enough use for it that couldnt be just done with a bandsaw, but 80$ is attractive enough to find some room on the bench for its occasional use.