American Optics Weld Cool welding lens
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

American Optics Weld Cool welding lens

Im posting this ad for a Friend of mine

The welding lens is an American Optics Weld Cool Shade 10. A lot of people call it the Cool Blue lens. The lens has been used, and as can be seen in the pic, it has a few discoloration spots on the edge from the gaskets in the hood. None of them are visible when the lens is in the hood because they are covered by the gasket. The lens has never been used without a clear cover plate on both the inside and the outside to protect the lens. There are no scratches or slag/burn marks on the lens. Unfortunately I do not have the original package for the lens.

Im asking 470 Or best offer.

You can contact me at ernest.thaxton@gmail.com

Re: American Optics Weld Cool welding lens

I wish weldingweb admin would ban such ridiculous ads such as this one. I find it offensive that anyone would have the gall to ask such a ridiculous price for a glass filter lenses. You people that ask these prices for a AO lenses are absurd, the only people more absurd are the fools that pay this kind of coin for such. If you happen to get $470 out of it you and your friend should go buy some good karma,you need it.

I thought it was ridiculous at first to but... http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Opt...#ht_726wt_1270 someone is willing to pay that.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15is223 View Post
    I thought it was ridiculous at first to but... http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Opt...#ht_726wt_1270 someone is willing to pay that.
    Like i said just posting this for a friend. He originally bought it for about that, apprently they are a crazy nice lens for tig welding. I personally wouldn't know, just helping a friend.
    he saw the one on ebay and priced his similarly. He also said OBO so email him and make him an offer.

Good luck with that!!

I think a blue lens sounds sweet, and if someone started making them today, Id buy one just to try it. Not at $475 tho, that buys you a new digital elite and like another grinder or something lol.
    a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

These were going for $200, the true old 50-60's version. I got to use an Old Boilermakers Lid with one of these in it. It was plenty nice, but not $400 nice. Ill stick to my Gold Glass thanks.....
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225 AC/DC-Briggs
    Lincoln 225/125 Tombstone
    Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 HD
    Jackson NexGen
    A Pile-O-Lee tools
    Sumner Ultra Clamps- where have these been all my life!
    DWM120
    More pipe threading tools than I can list

I am pretty sure that they make a poly version of the cool blue these days. Not as good as the old glass versions from what I understand. I think that the 10 shade is probably more demanded than the shade 12 that I would want for tig work. I would say this is more along the mig or arc range at a shade 10. The lens is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay and I have heard of them going for prices higher than the above that is asked. If you want a lens that has been taken off the market you have a product that is declining in supply. Think back to the laws of economics, increased demand and decreased suppy drives price upward.
    I am not a buyer at that price because I can weld equally as poor with a cheap lens as with a $500 lens, and I do not spend all day under a hood. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by mrwingnut; 01-24-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Im just bragging here, i saw an add on craigslist one day, this guy was selling a lot of older construction tools. I noticed an old jackson hood with a gold lens, so i call the guy and he knows nothing about welding. He had bought the lot from a storage building action and was just trying to get a small profit. I figured i would give it a shot thinking maybe it just could be a weld cool. I meet the guy at his house he even lived in my neighborhood, i looked at the back of the lens and i saw wc10. I didnt think it was an american optical because someone told me to look for an AO on the corner. So i offer him $10 anyways and he accepts, while driving home it hit me that wc stood for weld cool!!! This lens is badass and hope i never drop it!

sold!!

I have some 12s if anybody is interested

i'm more curious what the arc looks like through this lens than anything else. I mean what really makes a glass worth nearly 500 bucks.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I'm interested do u still have them?

Quote Originally Posted by 12vstrokethis View Post
    I have some 12s if anybody is interested
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
    I'm interested do u still have them?
    I was a little curious about them myself,
    send PM if your serious
    SQUARE WAVE 175 TIG
    DUAL MIG 151

While were on the subject, I would be interested in an AO Cool Blue Shade 10, if anyone has one. Or, I would be greatly interested in a Green Diamond Gold lense shade 10 also. My email is tenpinkiller89@aol.com. If someone happens to have either and I do not respond on here, as I check my email more often than here, unfortunately. Thanks everyone, have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by claymans13 View Post
    i'm more curious what the arc looks like through this lens than anything else. I mean what really makes a glass worth nearly 500 bucks.
    I have used these lens for many years, they are the best i used , the gold front reflects uv rays away from your eyes, clarity is excellent, i'm an old man now retired last year and can still see pretty good ! don't have a picture of a rod burning but here's a shot of the sun burning through a #12 ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'd love to try one out, but 500 bucks for a glass lens is just insanity to me..haha I could buy a welder for that price.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Hi'

I know it's ages since this topic was current, but I thought some might be interested in the following. I have tried several filters and the best by far is that made by Aulektro. I have included a photo similar to that shown above so a comparison can be made. The filter is a gold-covered Aulektro shade 10 and I have used a one-second exposure on my camera to take the photo. I have not altered the photo in any way.

I bought the filter in the UK but the supplier cannot get any more, so I contacted Aulektro and they gave me the address of a supplier in Germany who speaks excellent English and is very helpful:

SZ Schweisstechnik und Zubehör
    Michael Sczcepek
    Im Kattenbusch 7
    D - 44649 Herne
    Germany

homepage: www.sz-schweisstechnik.de

One thing to note that Aulektro told me: "we manufacture acc to EN 166/EN 169, not acc ANSI-standard. There's a difference in minimum robustness - ANSI mean toughened filters, EN normal glass" That doesn't bother me, and I don't suppose it will bother most people because your clear cover lens will probably be ANSI standard.

And in case you are wondering about the price, the filters are about 2 Euros each, that's about $2.5. (You could buy nearly 200 of these filters for one AO Weld-Cool!) And remember these filters are made to modern standards, not oxy-acetylene filters as I think some people have intimated the Weld-Cools might be.

I must also say firstly that I have no connection in any way with Aulektro or SZ and, secondly, that I have never used a clearer filter. When I first used the Aulektro gold filter I realised that the difficulties I was having were due to not being able to see the arc clearly; these filters, in conjunction with a cheater lens, allow you to see various parts of the arc and the weld pool with a clarity you would not have imagined.

Martin

Hi

]I don't know what went wrong with my previous post that caused the text to be cut off - something to do with the photo, I think , but here is the full text minus the photo

" I know it's ages since this topic was current, but I thought some might be interested in the following. I have tried several filters and the best by far is that made by Aulektro. I have included a photo similar to that shown above so a comparison can be made. The filter is a gold-covered Aulektro shade 10 and I have used a one-second exposure on my camera to take the photo. I have not altered the photo in any way.

I bought the filter in the UK but the supplier cannot get any more, so I contacted Aulektro and they gave me the address of a supplier in Germany who speaks excellent English and is very helpful:

SZ Schweisstechnik und Zubehör
    Michael Sczcepek
    Im Kattenbusch 7
    D - 44649 Herne
    Germany

homepage: www.sz-schweisstechnik.de

One thing to note that Aulektro told me: "we manufacture acc to EN 166/EN 169, not acc ANSI-standard. There's a difference in minimum robustness - ANSI mean toughened filters, EN normal glass" That doesn't bother me, and I don't suppose it will bother most people because your clear cover lens will probably be ANSI standard.

And in case you are wondering about the price, the filters are about 2 Euros each, that's about $2.5. (You could buy nearly 200 of these filters for one AO Weld-Cool!) And remember these filters are made to modern standards, not oxy-acetylene filters as I think some people have intimated the Weld-Cools might be.

I must also say firstly that I have no connection in any way with Aulektro or SZ and, secondly, that I have never used a clearer filter. When I first used the Aulektro gold filter I realised that the difficulties I was having were due to not being able to see the arc clearly; these filters, in conjunction with a cheater lens, allow you to see various parts of the arc and the weld pool with a clarity you would not have imagined.

Martin"
    Last edited by martinr; 07-12-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Great post! About time someone made proper modern blue lenses.

Now we need a US vendor.
    Last edited by farmall; 07-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Great post! About time someone made proper modern blue lenses.

Now we need a US vendor.

Thanks. Much appreciated. In the meantime, you can contact Michael Sczcepek at:

SZ Schweisstechnik & Zubehör
    Im Kattenbusch 7
    D-44649 Herne
    Telefon +49 (0) 23 25 - 31881
    Telefax +49 (0) 23 25 - 31932

email: SZSCHWEISSTECHNIK@WEB.DE

He's happy to ship from Germany to the UK, so I'm confident there's no reason why he won't send to the USA. And he takes Paypal. I can't tell you about shipping costs because he's going to let me know tomorrow, but at 2 Euros a filter I don't care much.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Martin

I can now state that my shipping charges, Germany to UK via DHL cost only 9 Euros ($11). So 10 gold-covered Aulektro filters 90mm x 110mm cost me a total of £29 ($45) postage included in that.

Manufacturer's information on the filters can be found at: http://www.flachglas-uhsmannsdorf.de..._id=14&clang=1

Martin

I've tried, not very successfully, to take a photo of the TIG arc onto stainless steel through my Aulektro gold-covered filter shade 10. Between this photo and the one of the sunny sky, you get a fair idea of the colour through these filters.

(Please note that anyone outside Europe might need to take any import duties into account when looking at the costs in my previous posting.)

Martin

The shipping to me here in the US is $22 and for a gold plate 4.5x5.25 it is $4.27 but with a 12 week wait time
    Last edited by Spar-X; 07-16-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    SQUARE WAVE 175 TIG
    DUAL MIG 151

Sorry to hear about the wait time. Mine were posted the day I ordered, but they're 3.5" x 4.25". I didn't realise he could get the larger ones, which suit my helmet better. Believe me, 12 weeks will be worth the wait.

Just for the record - and I'm sure you're probably already used to gold filters - the gold film is deposited onto the glass and is quite delicate. I have an Accustrike chin-operated helmet where, because of the design, the cover plate slides across the filter. As I soon found out, gold coverings will not tolerate anything sliding across them without getting scratched, so I now bond a (CR39) clear cover lens to the glass filter using a smear of epoxy resin (Araldite) along the edges whilst keeping the cover lens clamped to the filter using plastic edging strip found in stationery shops for clamping sheets of paper together to make a document. I carefully slide or push the strips over opposite edges trying not to scratch the cover plate and then I run the epoxy along the other 2 accessible edges. The following day I remove the edging and then run the adhesive along the other 2 exposed edges, thereby fully sealing the joint along all edges and making sure that the cover plate is in good contact with the gold film underneath, to reduce the danger of ghosting from internal reflections. In fact, the clamping is so good that you can see that the cover lens is physically touching the gold film over much of its area.

I use a normal flip-down helmet for MIG (my Accustrike's too good to be blasted with MIG spatter) and so far I don't bond the cover lens to the gold filter, but I never clean the cover lens without first carefully removing it to ensure no relative movement between the cover lens and the gold film underneath as happens when you clean/polish the cover in situ. However, I may well resort to similarly bonding cover lens to filter in future.

Martin

I've read all the post up to this point. I guess a man has to ask himself this question ---

What is my eyesight worth?

Along the same lines as a motorcycle helmet.... If you have a $2 head, then wear a $2 helmet.

For the past 45 years, the AO Cobalt Blue is the only lens I ever used. The men who used the cheap lenses supplied by the Company are now the fitters, the guy running the warehouse or inspectors. The welders who used these 100% are the old timers who are still making the X-ray welds.

As I've said before..... Life is full of choices.

Hobo
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.