how are my welds looking?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hybrid View

how are my welds looking?

Hi Gang,

My first post here and I wanted to share some of my latest work. I am using a synchrowave 180 and the material is .083 chrome-moly tubing. The machine is set to DC, 85amps, argon set to 15cfh, tungsten is 1/16 with a gas lens and I am using ER80SD2 as filler. I don't have much experience with TIG, about 15-20hrs. actual welding time. But I was hoping to get some feedback about what I could be doing better or what suggestions I could learn from. Thanks in advance.

-Brian
    "newbie tig welder"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

they look good, the one on the right is the better of the two, watch out for your heat effected zone and your craters at the end or in the middle on the right one
    they are coming out nice keep on practiing

brian

For a guy with 20 hours under his belt it looks pretty good. You know what you need is more practice time, and things will get better looking.
    You might also want to play a little more with the foot control, and not get so concerned about the settings on the machine.
    Things will definitely get better with time.
    What you're practicing on requires a lot more learning than a T joynt on flat material.
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

Very smart practicing on miter tube joints- harder to do but more learning benifits.

With the 90 degree joint either your tungsten got pickled up with contaminents or you were dwelling in one spot too long. Lots of heat cooking the part there.

That 45 degree joints looks good- give it some more gas and go.

Thats my two cents and judging your time/welds, you got some skills
    "after a long day of doing nothing...its gooood to kick back" Pumbaa

Looking good.

Thanks for the help, so the HAZ seems to be too big, and the crater issue. My biggest problem to me seems to be picking up where I left off after I have stopped to reposition. My welds will then start looking overcooked. Does it look as if I am moving too slow?

-Brian
    "newbie tig welder"

Originally posted by xlent251
    Thanks for the help, so the HAZ seems to be too big, and the crater issue. My biggest problem to me seems to be picking up where I left off after I have stopped to reposition. My welds will then start looking overcooked. Does it look as if I am moving too slow?

-Brian
    "newbie tig welder"
    Worry about Haz & crater later. When I said 'give it the gas & go' I should have said; step deeper into the peddle, use more throttle but spend less time in one spot.

Try this on a simple flat butt weld or lap joint. Get the feel of the timing then move it over to your tube work.

More two cents, found under the couch cushions
    "after a long day of doing nothing...its gooood to kick back" Pumbaa