Copper Sheet Welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Copper Sheet Welding

Is there a good write-up on copper sheet welding? Running a syncrowave, tig, of coarse. What gas mix, polarity, electrode shape, pulse recommendations? Got $400+ in materials, and it absolutely needs to be water/air tight.

Re: Copper Sheet Welding

Here's a link on Jody's site with a lot of information on copper welding.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...r-welding.html

Regards, Peter

Whiskey still huh? I use the same set up as I do for DCEN aluminum. Lab Grade helium, 2% thoriated tungsten, about 200 amps available to the foot control and patience. Weld it just like aluminum. The copper will turn black but will polish up nicely, post weld.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Pangea, why lab grade? For that matter, what is your gas distributors definition of lab grade?
    Experience is something you get right after you need it

UHP (Ultra High Purity) Helium is lab grade use it at work every day
    Last edited by WeldorWes; 01-22-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    LA City Certified Structural
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    TigWeld 250
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Lincoln 140c
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Welding Engineer
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes

I work in the gas business, and was wondering what various distributors call " lab grade." I just checked my website, and we have 5 different "lab grades", all with different specifications for individual impurities. We also have at least 1 industrial grade, and good ol balloon grade.
    Experience is something you get right after you need it

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Whiskey still huh? I use the same set up as I do for DCEN aluminum. Lab Grade helium, 2% thoriated tungsten, about 200 amps available to the foot control and patience. Weld it just like aluminum. The copper will turn black but will polish up nicely, post weld.
    Whiskey still!? If anybody asks its a boiler for those hobby miniature steam engines.

I asked my boys down at the welder supply, UHP gas gets expensive. I need to know what grade. A difference between 0.1% can mean a big difference in price. Im worried about DCEN toasting my Tungsten at high amps.

F'em tell them its an ethanol plant.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Argon is fine for copper. I brazed up some 2" pipe with SIFBronze No1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It appears that the use of helium is for the same reason you would use it with aluminum, to increase heat input into the puddle. Sounds like you can use 80/20 helium/argon just as well

If David is worried about what DCEN will do to his tungsten, hope he doesn't switch to DCEP.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

It needs to be welded quickly from my experience. I've welded thinner stuff, 1/8 with argon DCEN with no problem. Never have used helium on copper so I defer to the poster who has. I did some welding on 1/2" copper with argon an DCEN and started our with a nice bead but quit working well after a couple of inches. It may work OK that way if the whole piece was shielded. My thinking is that too much heat got ahead of the weld puddle and when copper gets hot, it absorbs oxygen and you have contamination. The helium allows a much quicker puddle.
    MILLER 330 AB/P
    MILLER GOLD STAR 130
    KUBOTA BX24
    CASE MINI HAY PRESS
    BENCH MILL
    HYPERTHERM 45
    BABY HOSSFELD

I just brazed it up. It worked out well, and got it done cheap and fast. Screw welding it if you don't need too.

we weld copper counter tops with integrated sinks. We use plain argon, dcen, and sheared filler rod.

Gotta move fast, or it will start to oxidize. When butt welding sheets together we dont clamp the stuff close to the weld joint. It will shrink and stretch in a small area, and it is almost impossible to get if flat again. We find that it is best to just let it do what it wants to do naturally, its easier to flatten big humps, rather than mountains. Hard to explain, takes practice.