What do we all think of our Hypertherm Products?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up What do we all think of our Hypertherm Products?

Hey there,

I am looking for peoples opinions on their Hypertherm products - this is just for general interest because review sites in this industry (Honest impartial ones) are quite hard to find.

If you have currently got or indeed have ever used a Hypertherm anything then please let me know what you thought of it.

Thank you all.

Re: What do we all think of our Hypertherm Products?

I just noticed that with a grand total of 23 posts here since November, Hayleymason82 has made three consecutive posts within minutes of one another, each almost identical: asking for an opinion on some product line. While these latest requests ARE welding-related, this seemed rather akin to troll-behavior so I took a look at ALL of his/her previous posts:
    http://weldingweb.com/search.php?searchid=2826571

If you take a quick peek, you'll notice something in common in each of them: they are very brief, virtually useless and of greatest concern: involve the usually irrelevant promotion of one of two UK websites selling welding products.

So, I've come to the opinion that his/her intentions in being here are less than genuine. Form your own opinion, but "advertising trolls" trigger my flag/ignore button response.
    Lincoln AC225 & MigPak 140, Lincoln Magnum SpoolGun, Miller Spectrum 375-X Plasma, Syncrowave 200 TIG, Millermatic 252 MIG, Miller Digital Elite, General 7x12" horiz/vert bandsaw, 3' box/pan brake, 20 ton press, milling machine, 12x28 lathe, etc.

I've got a PM 1000 and have been very happy with it. Both the tech schools I'm associated with use Hypertherm units, and they hold up well to the student abuse. I also know 2 other guys who use Hyperthems daily for their business. One guy has two, a PM1000 on a CNC table and a smaller unit for "portable" work. I talked with both of them extensively prior to buying mine and both had nothing but good things to say about the units. Pretty much the same things I've seen other here say. If I had to buy a plasma today, I'd go right out and buy another Hyperthem hands down.

Edit: Good spot Aquafire. I didn't pick that up at first. Just noticed he had more than 10 posts and he'd been here since Nov.
    Last edited by DSW; 01-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

OP has got to be a spammer, or he's got an ulterior motive.

My votes for SPAMMER.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Not disagreeing about the OP's motives, but I am interested in opinions on the Hypertherm machines as well. I'm trying to talk the manager into a 5 X 10 Torchmate X. They will supply it with a Hypetherm or TD machine at a similar cost. Pondering which one to ask for...

Quote Originally Posted by welds4d View Post
    Not disagreeing about the OP's motives, but I am interested in opinions on the Hypertherm machines as well. I'm trying to talk the manager into a 5 X 10 Torchmate X. They will supply it with a Hypetherm or TD machine at a similar cost. Pondering which one to ask for...
    Hypertherm is the reference standard for Plasma Cutters,TD is right up there with them. Please resist any temptation from the ChiCom vendors on this site that might pm you to persuade your decision. All that glitters ain't gold !!!!
    Last edited by Sparky#1; 01-25-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    I.B.E.W Electrician and Damn Proud of It !!!! .
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

Torchmate X with a Hypertherm high definition class plasma (HPR130xd), Hypertherm height control and Hypertherm cnc control, MTC ProNest software....

Quote Originally Posted by welds4d View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images    

yes please
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

I have had a Hypertherm for the last 8 years(approx). and used one where I use to worked for about 11 years before that. Both machines have worked every time I have turned them on. Not once have they let me down. I cannot imagine buying a different brand of plasma.

I don't mind spending a little more for a quality machine. If you buy a Hypertherm thats what you will get.
    Travis

A genuine thank you for all those who have answered my question nicely - contrary to popular belief i am interested in what NICE people have to say. Im doing some research that is all - people new to the industry can be baffled by all the different products out there and the massively varying prices dependent upon manufacturer, im just seeing what is worth the money. I dont spam - that is for automated software idiots im a real person who is actually quite offended by what you have said. I thought this was supposed to be an informative forum not another way of trying to bully.

Quote Originally Posted by hayleymason82 View Post
    A genuine thank you for all those who have answered my question nicely - contrary to popular belief i am interested in what NICE people have to say. Im doing some research that is all - people new to the industry can be baffled by all the different products out there and the massively varying prices dependent upon manufacturer, im just seeing what is worth the money. I dont spam - that is for automated software idiots im a real person who is actually quite offended by what you have said. I thought this was supposed to be an informative forum not another way of trying to bully.
    I wouldn't get offended their are very valid reasons people on here assume others as spammers and you will see why as time goes by. This is an awesome site with many skilled and talented people with a wealth of experience they are willing to share. Unfortunately this site is partially sponsored by some very shady vendors which you will see and possibly be approached by about their products.
    I.B.E.W Electrician and Damn Proud of It !!!! .
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

I wish I bought the powermax 45 Instead of the powermax 30, just not enough power with the 220. Sad

hayley,

What I'll say is if you really were doing research, then you're extremely lazy in the way you go about "collecting data".

A simple SEARCH would turn up untold numbers of users very happy/satisfied with their Hypertherm machines. That same search would have also revealed the excellent advice given on the forums by one of our regular posters (Jimcolt) who just happens to be employed by Hypertherm.

You can post up all the reasons you want for "why" you posted what you did, but I've never had much use for a researcher who was looking to be SPOON FED.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fischer Fab View Post
    I wish I bought the powermax 45 Instead of the powermax 30, just not enough power with the 220. Sad
    You can sell that machine for almost the same amount as you bought it, They are quality units, and people know it. If I wanted a 120/240 unit it would be a Thermal 42 hands down. Of course you will only hear how inferior that unit is, around here. Price is killer for a quality 40 amp unit. Love the feel of the hand torch, and how you can run it on a very small compressor.

http://www.weldersupply.com/productd...s&ID=2&pID=424
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab powercut 400
    Esab Caddy 200
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Shopmate 300 DX /Lincoln LF-72
    Thermal 186/Cool-mate 1
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal D 15c
    Tweco pull gun
    Smith Torches
    5X10 Plasma
    Edwards 65 Ton

I think the Cutmaster42 is a great value for the price. It's performance is close to the Powermax30 on 120 volts, but better than the 30 on 240 volts. It does not have anywhere near the cut capacity or speed of the Powermax45. My only issue with the 42 is that T-D laid off quite a few workers during the downturn (and did not hire them back)....and shifted production to China and Mexico.....so if you don't mind sending your money outside the U.S.....then it is probably a good deal!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    You can sell that machine for almost the same amount as you bought it, They are quality units, and people know it. If I wanted a 120/240 unit it would be a Thermal 42 hands down. Of course you will only hear how inferior that unit is, around here. Price is killer for a quality 40 amp unit. Love the feel of the hand torch, and how you can run it on a very small compressor.

http://www.weldersupply.com/productd...s&ID=2&pID=424

I have one China Thermal-arc 161s, One Japan made Thermal-arc 400 MST, One Thermal-arc Scout 170 engine drive that's made in Italy, four USA made feeders, one USA made Thermal Dynamics plasma, Esab 350 MPI made in USA, One Esab 252 ac/dc tig made in USA and a Polish made Esab C-200i What gets my money are machines that do exactly what I want them to do. The last one will perform excellent with .030 wire at it's max,running on my Thermal-arc scout.(4K) Excellent arc starts too. I can't get close to that performance from anything built here. Passport won't do it, HH-210, (Owned them) all the while weighing 26 pounds wet without wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-27-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab powercut 400
    Esab Caddy 200
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal 186/Cool-mate 1
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal D 15c
    Tweco pull gun
    Smith Torches
    5X10 Plasma
    Edwards 65 Ton

Can't compare with those products! This is the Hypertherm forum and we only produce plasma equipment!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Can't compare with those products! This is the Hypertherm forum and we only produce plasma equipment!

Jim
    I thought it was a political forum on why to buy American only!!
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab powercut 400
    Esab Caddy 200
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal 186/Cool-mate 1
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal D 15c
    Tweco pull gun
    Smith Torches
    5X10 Plasma
    Edwards 65 Ton

Well.....I don't subscibe necessarily to buying only American products.....however I only buy products from companies that treat their employees more importantly than their profits. There are many companies that manufacture quality, value added products from all over the planet.....I have a few in my driveway and in my shop.

Jim

I have never cut with the 30 or the Cutmaster 42 I did have a Thermal 38xl with a upgraded one torch. I had no issues of blowing 20 amp breakers running on 120 volts. Cutting at 29 amps output too. That machine did have PF caps built-in (talking with the old school Thermal reps they us to have) I wonder if the new Cutmaster would even match that one on 120 volt input? Which machine (Cutmaster 42 VS the Pmax 30) would draw the least amps on 240 volt input ,running at 30 amps output?
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab powercut 400
    Esab Caddy 200
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal 186/Cool-mate 1
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal D 15c
    Tweco pull gun
    Smith Torches
    5X10 Plasma
    Edwards 65 Ton

I have had my powermax 45 for 7 months now. Awesome consumable life and bulletproof as far as I can tell. IMO, it cuts 1/4" plate better than the ESAB 1500 I use at work.My only reget is not going bigger as I am now looking into a CNC table now, but who say's I can't own two cutters if/when I need more capacity!!

To compare power (which is really killowatts...calculated from output amps x load voltage at rated duty cycle) from manufacturer to manufacturer is sometimes difficult as some manufactures do not supply enough info!

On paper:

Powermax 30

Draws 26 amps on a 120 volt input power line when cutting at 30 amps output @ 83 arc volts (cutting 1/4" steel). Draws 13.5 Amps on a 230 volt input power line when cutting at 30 amps output @83 arc volts (1/4" steel). Rated at 35% duty cycle on 120 volt input and 50% duty cycle on 230 volt input.

Cutmaster 42

Draws 27.5 amps on a 120 volt input power line when cutting at 27 Amps output, load voltage not specified. (27 amps is max output when on a 120 volt line). Current draw at 30 amps output is not specified for 230 volt input power, Draws 21.4 Amps on a 230 volt input power line when producing 40 amps (load voltage not specified. Rated at 30% duty cycle on 120 volt input and 40% duty cycle on 230 volt input.

These specifications are from each systems operators manual. In summary....the Powermax30 has more amperage output and lower input power consumption as well as higher duty cycle when operating at 120 volts. This shows a more efficient power supply design.

Since the Powermax is a 30 amp maximum output unit....and T-D does not provide the input current requirement for operation at 30 amps output on a 230 volt line (I would not expect them to!) it is impossible to compare the two units without a side by side test...actually measuring the input power.

So....I stand by my assessment (and I have cut with both units side by side) that the Powermax30 is more efficient, more powerful and has higher duty cycle as compared to the Cutmaster 42 when operating on a 120 volt input line. And....it is designed, engineered, assembled and tested in the U.S.A. by employee owners of Hypertherm.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I have never cut with the 30 or the Cutmaster 42 I did have a Thermal 38xl with a upgraded one torch. I had no issues of blowing 20 amp breakers running on 120 volts. Cutting at 29 amps output too. That machine did have PF caps built-in (talking with the old school Thermal reps they us to have) I wonder if the new Cutmaster would even match that one on 120 volt input? Which machine (Cutmaster 42 VS the Pmax 30) would draw the least amps on 240 volt input ,running at 30 amps output?

My experience- My Powermax 30 goes through 1/4 inch like butter. I also pushed it using it to cut some 1/2 inch railroad steel scrap to make a press brake die, and it sure beat the band saw or cut-off wheels i was using. just throw the strap over your shoulder and take it to where you are going. the torch is quality and a pleasure to use compared to some chinese machines. i would have went for the 45, but ran out of discretionary funds.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Oxy set-up, Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe
    and about 6 HF grinders with different discs

I love my powermax 45. Went to a lot of trouble to remove water from the air. Really works great. I have a friend that uses one of these on a plasma cam day in and day out. When I told him what I bought, he said I done good that it is a really sweet machine.
    MILLER 330 AB/P
    MILLER GOLD STAR 130
    KUBOTA BX24
    CASE MINI HAY PRESS
    BENCH MILL
    HYPERTHERM 45
    BABY HOSSFELD

Jimcolt - good luck keep finding companies that treat their employees well and value them above profit - they are fast running out! So much production has been shipped to china, people keep posting up links to ebay with cheap chinese machines and im just really unsure of them. I can understand the lack of funds but as people here have said if you have a Hypertherm for 8 or 11 years (as one post said) and im sure even longer than that, then surely the cost over the years is cheaper? Dont know anyone who has had a cheap chinese machine to see how long they last. Powermax 45 the way forward perhaps...just get saving!