Trying to "T" weld 2 beer kegs together
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trying to "T" weld 2 beer kegs together

I've got two decommissioned kegs that I purchased from a brewery and I would like to make a smoker. My problem is trying to figure out the calculation in order to make a template on how to cut the bottom keg so that the top keg will sit in the saddle making a "T".
    I'm not sure my verbiage is correct but hopefully someone can give me some direction as to where I can look to get the needed info. I've googled the question and can only come up with a link showing a guy who made a smoker of the same design but using a couple 55 gal drums. Unfortunatly he said he used a CAD program to make a template and did not offer anymore info. Besides not saying which CAD program he used I don't have the time to try and learn how to use a CAD program and not sure how much the software would cost. Any suggestions would be appreacicted. Here is the link of what I am trying to make.

http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2009/...n-drum-smoker/

Thanks,

Re: Trying to "T" weld 2 beer kegs together

I found a post on Weldingweb with what I was looking for after doing another google search and changing the verbiage.

Re: Trying to "T" weld 2 beer kegs together

Hey there - sounds like you already found what you're going to use but I wanted to share what worked for me.

This past fall I welded up a heater for a sauna I built. Pic is attached. Welding the Corny keg to the 15 gallon keg was the tricky part - those Cornies are 22 or 24ga, and the main keg 16ga - quite a difference and demanding of light-tight fitup, which I did not quite get in some places. Still though I had everything purged and the inside's still lookin' good after a few months of use and exposure to high temperatures.

The pot dropped down through the top of the keg was welded with a Chinese lunchbox - no control at lower amps, lot of blowthorugh, had to slug with 1/4" rod in some places - that's the big blob up top. This is the project that lit a fire under my *** to get a nicer tig for this type of thin stainless work. A Maxstar 150 STL that I picked up from Jontheturboguy has been working great for me and made the rest of the welds tenable.

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetempl...&Submit=Submit

I used this software to print a template to do the fitting, and it worked out well. Printed the template on several pages, attached it to the keg, and ground to the line real careful.

Good luck with your project!
    Attached Images Attached Images