Big Chain Saw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Big Chain Saw

Big Chain Saw

Notice that he starts out with NO Hearing or breathing protection.
    Weldandpower Lincoln 225 AC,DC with Briggs 16hp gas engine.
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Re: Big Chain Saw

Also, no gloves, no protective equipment, and worst of all, no chain brake on the saw.

That much power with that long of a bar is a recipe for kickback - especially since he couldn't cut all of the way through on one pass and the nose is doing some of the cutting.

Oh, well.

Are you saying he is a potential Darwin Award Nominee ?
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Quote Originally Posted by GWD View Post
    Also, no gloves, no protective equipment, and worst of all, no chain brake on the saw.

That much power with that long of a bar is a recipe for kickback - especially since he couldn't cut all of the way through on one pass and the nose is doing some of the cutting.

Oh, well.
    That's a Stihl 090 saw he's using, the biggest saw ever made by Stihl at 134cc's. It's a real beast. It never came with a chainbrake, those saws were made before the chainbrake era. It could be that the saw and the bar are so heavy that kickback isn't much of an issue, especially when you have it buried that deep inside a log. I've experienced kickback before, but with much lighter saws and a much shorter bar. The lighter and shorter the bar and saw is, the less weight the kickback forces have to overcome. Still, I'd be too scared myself to just let the thing run while only holding it with one hand, as this operator does every now and then. That's a loud saw, and you will need muffs to run it.

i have never heard of breathing protection for running a saw.
    thermal arc mst400, va4000 feeder, lincoln 175 min, victor torches, miller s32p feeder, air arc k4000 for work.

" Breathing protection'.... I mentioned that because I assume this is not in the United States... that large a tree might be one of those which are really bad to breath any dust from...and you see right at the start that with the saw that high the sawdust is coming right at his face...
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

My father had an old David White that had a bar so long it had handles for another man on the end of the bar..two man chain saw

And leaving the boom on the tractor raised up while on one is on it isn't a real bright either
    especially while sitting on a hill like that
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

what a waste of money. Companies pay big money for logs that big. Old growth tables, counters, doors, etc. come at a premium. Hacking it appart like that was a waste. safety and all aside. (old dogs don't like learning new tricks)
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

The old big saws do not spin nearly as fast as the newer saws so the kickback is much less violent, its more of a push than a whack,( think shooting a 300WSM vs an old black powder rifle) The saw never came with a chainbrake and with the chain speeds that it had it wasnt that big of a deal.
    As for the waste, I believe that log was being split so that it could be milled into boards/planks. It first had to be split or quartered so that it could fit in his mill. If you watch his other videos he does have a bandsaw mill and cuts custom lumber

Quote Originally Posted by GBM View Post
    " Breathing protection'.... I mentioned that because I assume this is not in the United States... that large a tree might be one of those which are really bad to breath any dust from...and you see right at the start that with the saw that high the sawdust is coming right at his face...

That video was taken in the UK, the tree looks to be an Oak, god knows how old it was. With no visible rot to the trunk no reason to fell it either.

Most big trees in England have automatic preservation orders on them meaning you cannot fell or even lop without licence on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
    The old big saws do not spin nearly as fast as the newer saws so the kickback is much less violent, its more of a push than a whack,( think shooting a 300WSM vs an old black powder rifle) The saw never came with a chainbrake and with the chain speeds that it had it wasnt that big of a deal.
    As for the waste, I believe that log was being split so that it could be milled into boards/planks. It first had to be split or quartered so that it could fit in his mill. If you watch his other videos he does have a bandsaw mill and cuts custom lumber
    The Stihl 90 came in either direct drive or a 'slower' geared version but it also had bigger chain and cutters so it could grab harder too. Kickback is a matter of not controlling the direction of the forces all the time, and that can happen with any saw, the 90 included. I once did some machine work on one, and still have part interest in it, theoretically.

As for the milling, the first part of the video shows him removing what appears to be sections of good wood from the top end; I'd have expected the grain from that area to have been rather pretty, and the thin cuts would have been useless except perhaps for building doll houses or making chess pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shox Dr View Post
    That video was taken in the UK, the tree looks to be an Oak, god knows how old it was. With no visible rot to the trunk no reason to fell it either.

Most big trees in England have automatic preservation orders on them meaning you cannot fell or even lop without licence on the tree
    Did you notice the blue area on the top end of the truck just before it was being split? That, and some other spots shown later inside the trunk appeared to indicate fungal growth to me. The first could have been from exhaust if the mix were too rich and he'd been cutting at a different angle, but with the long crosscut he'd needed to sever the end, that's doubtful.

i would hope that this is being done to sell fire wood. Because if it was to just go in the fire pile why cut it up like that? Just push it in and let it burn. Too much like work to me.

The blue stain is most likely due to metal imbedded in the trunk. That is what steel does inside a tree (especially acidic oak), which is probably why they were pointing it out. You want to avoid that with the saw...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Here is the biggest chainsaw that I know of. Makes my back ache just to look at it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Tamp2fHhg[/ame]
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Holy moly.........begs the question.....Why??????
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Holy moly.........begs the question.....Why??????
    Lumberjack competitions. Not the 2 man saw like that but some serious power behind a saw.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Some girls like speed (I guess)
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    The Stihl 90 came in either direct drive or a 'slower' geared version but it also had bigger chain and cutters so it could grab harder too. Kickback is a matter of not controlling the direction of the forces all the time, and that can happen with any saw, the 90 included. I once did some machine work on one, and still have part interest in it, theoretically.

As for the milling, the first part of the video shows him removing what appears to be sections of good wood from the top end; I'd have expected the grain from that area to have been rather pretty, and the thin cuts would have been useless except perhaps for building doll houses or making chess pieces.

Did you notice the blue area on the top end of the truck just before it was being split? That, and some other spots shown later inside the trunk appeared to indicate fungal growth to me. The first could have been from exhaust if the mix were too rich and he'd been cutting at a different angle, but with the long crosscut he'd needed to sever the end, that's doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    The blue stain is most likely due to metal imbedded in the trunk. That is what steel does inside a tree (especially acidic oak), which is probably why they were pointing it out. You want to avoid that with the saw...
    Yes, I'm familiar with iron stains...but I was thinking of a previous post saying this was in great Britain and I was thinking of Ancient, Pristine Britain...and my guess was based on knowledge of Plant Pathology, the size of the tree, knowledge of British history, etc and also about the Brits not having much access to firearms for a long time. Course, I wasn't thinking about the tree being hit by AP round from a WW II fighter plane, which would be a good possibility. Good call!

My kickback comment has to do with the overall chain speed in general. The 090 spun at most 8-9500rpm's and spun a big chain fairly slowly compared to todays saws which are spinning from 13-16k and pull a smaller chain at a much higher speed. Its the higher speed which makes the kickback much more violent and harder to control than the 090

Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
    My kickback comment has to do with the overall chain speed in general. The 090 spun at most 8-9500rpm's and spun a big chain fairly slowly compared to todays saws which are spinning from 13-16k and pull a smaller chain at a much higher speed. Its the higher speed which makes the kickback much more violent and harder to control than the 090
    The new, fast saws have a lot less torque than the older, slower ones, which had longer strokes. It takes a lot of torque to pull a chain on a six foot bar. Nowadays, there is not much logging going on in old growth forests with monster size trunks, so there's little need anymore for super long bars and high torque motors.