rotating car stand
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

rotating car stand

anyone have plans for a rotating car lift. looking for something i can bolt the car to then lift up and rotate around to do a complete body off restoration. i've seen some commercial units, but i know i can build one for waaaaayy less than buying one.
    "Retreat hell, were just fighting in the other direction"

Miller Trailblazer 302, Extreme 12 VS, Dimension 400, Spectrum 375, HF 251D-1, Milermatic 251 w/ spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000
    Lincoln sp 170

2000 F-450 to haul it

Re: rotating car stand

I don't have any plans or pictures of it but a buddy of mine that builds JeepSpeeds built a couple of rotisseries for Jeep Cherokee bodies using some modified Harbor Freight Engine stands.

One at each end of the body with a tube that bolted to the Jeep that was welded to the engine plate of the stand.

They seem to work fairly well for the cost and a lot of the work was already done.

Just an idea.

- Paul

jdoepel,

Excellent link. The guy did great work.

good link...but for most here...

the opposite dual engine opposed to each other stand modified to accept a car chassis concept works well for relatively cheap $$$$...
    it dont make sence to invest that much $$$ for something you use just once...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just a thought, the load in the rotator will want to fall to the center of gravity. The gravity center may be quite different than the physical center.

I saw a neat shop built rotator that addressed the gravity issue, and allowed for smooth controlled rotation on precision bearings. The builder had used cut off ¾ ton truck axle ends as the rotating heads.

The housing tubes where cut off complete with hub and axle. Adjustable arms where bolted between the work and the wheel studs. A truck air brake slack adjuster was splined to the end of the axle shaft. The geared brake slack adjusters allowed for the rotation to be slow and controlled, preventing the work from falling towards it’s center of gravity.

I made mine out of some scrap yard steel, some used casters and Harbor Freight worm drive winches - total cost was under $100. The wheel on top is from a motorized gate the rolls along a piece of angle on the ground. It will raise the car from ground level which is a big advantage over most designs and it will support my car at <2000 lbs with engine and drivetrain in place. You could make it beefier for heavier cars. The winches are good for 2,000# apiece.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Cut an MGB and widened 11" C4 Corvette suspension and LT1 Chevrolet power & 6 spd. Pictures here:
    Part 1
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
    Part 2
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

Now..THATS cool..
    great idea!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

holy jeepers creepers!! that is cool. now if only i had someplace to use one...

Wow, great design JIM ! Now i need to find a project that makes me HAVE to build that!
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

here's mine....

using it for a frame rotisserie but different brackets make it a body rotator.
    it's 'squuoze' down in pic and the tubing strapped on the frame adds the length. It's built from 2" sq thick wall tubing... no plans but can take measurements if you want... it's kinda a build to suit project anyway...

I would recommend some type of bearings on the rotator assembly... the trailer hub idea would work great... a frame is pretty easy to flip over by yourself... but a body would be a different question I think.

pic #2 is my '53 f-100 frame getting prepped for paint... sure is nice when you can just roll it over to paint/prep/sand..

john
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stabe
    I made mine out of some scrap yard steel, some used casters and Harbor Freight worm drive winches - total cost was under $100. The wheel on top is from a motorized gate the rolls along a piece of angle on the ground. It will raise the car from ground level which is a big advantage over most designs and it will support my car at <2000 lbs with engine and drivetrain in place. You could make it beefier for heavier cars. The winches are good for 2,000# apiece.

Jim

Looks nice!

Just for safety try not to put your feet under the rotisserie
    My Babies:

HF Drill press
    HF Pipe Bender
    3 4.5" Black and Decker angle grinders
    Lincoln Electric PROMIG 175
    that´s it!