Good Diesel Silicone Maker
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Good Diesel Silicone Maker

What kind of silicone is good for a small diesel repair on a rubber gromet/aluminum filter housing? without tearing the entire fuel filter assembly apart this is my only way to fix a small seap on my skidsteer. What will diesel not eat up? Thanks
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
    Albert Einstein

Re: Good Diesel Silicone Maker

I have used permatex form a gasket not the rtv type silicone with good results on diesel.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    I have used permatex form a gasket not the rtv type silicone with good results on diesel.
    The "black one" ? Thats what several people have told me to use...Hows it hold up to the diesel?
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
    Albert Einstein

Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    Thanks for the info, I dont want it to cure rock hard though. I will one day fix it correctly.
    Albert Einstein

Forms gasket #2 works well I have used it on fuel tank gaskets otherwise black rtv holds for a while
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by jreynoldswelding View Post
    What kind of silicone is good for a small diesel repair on a rubber gromet/aluminum filter housing? without tearing the entire fuel filter assembly apart this is my only way to fix a small seap on my skidsteer. What will diesel not eat up? Thanks
    Diesel Tech here. what I use when the need arises and ONLY in the proper amount...alittle goes along ways. it is called ..right stuff.. and can be purchased in either sensor safe or not either one work well with a diesel fuel and or oil system can be bought at most parts stores. Dale

I second the right stuff. I get mine from the local napa. A little goes a long way.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

No gasket maker I know of works on deteriorated rubber parts. You're just making a bigger mess to clean up later. Replace the grommet and save yourself some hassle.

I hate silicone sealer!! Especially when I have to work on something that someone else has "fixed" with it!

If anything will work, B2 aircraft fuel tank sealant is the stuff.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ksealants.html

Clean with solvent, blow dry, scuff sand to get some "tooth", clean again, apply sealant.

It's not bothered by diesel, and is wonderful stuff compared to which RTV is pretty weak.

Anyone who hasn't tried it should buy some to get familiar. Wear disposable gloves, and mix thoroughly. It's quite sticky.

It's been used throughout aviation for decades, and seals "wet wing" fuel systems, canopies, panels. with release is used as panel faying sealant, and I've used it to seal a GM diesel timing chest while deployed to Incirlik when the Turkish motor pool mech went on strike. Works fine with gasoline too.
    Last edited by farmall; 02-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.