Range GXT Spool gun
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Range GXT Spool gun

What spool guns can I run on my ranger 250 gxt. How do they hook up. I am wanting to weld alumium.

Lincoln recommends the 100 spool gun? How does it work?

The HTP gun look real nice but is $$

Re: Range GXT Spool gun

Kat
    Unfortunately the Lincoln Magnum 100SG can only be connected to Lincoln's light duty MIG machines, ie: 140, 180 series or PM216. All the control circuits needed to operate the 100SG are in these machines making it essentially "plug & play". The Ranger 250 GXT does not have the 14 pin connector, and therefore, the circuitry, needed to control any spool gun. You would need to use a gun like the HTP with the control box ($900 +/-) or the Miller Spoolmate 3035 with the SGA 100C control box ($850 +/-). These control boxes take 110VAC from your engine-driven welder's duplex outlets to supply the control voltage for the spool gun's wire feed motor and have the contactor needed to turn on the weld power and gas supply necessary, through the gun's trigger.
    BTW, the HTP gun you refer to is actually the same gun that Lincoln markets as the Magnum SG gun.
    The HTP is rated 250A@60% duty cycle, the Miller is 150A@60%, however you can upgrade the gun barrel to the heavy duty model for 200A@60%. Any way you go it's gonna cost. Welding is fun and most things fun, cost.
    Even if you were to connect the 100SG to the 140 series MIG, the price for those two items will be in the $700+ range. Hope this helps.
    Smitty

Thanks for the info I have the lincoln 135 plus can I make this little mig work? This was the machine I started welding with along time ago. If I could make this work and use it for aluminum that would be bad ars. I have seen people use the 100 spool gun on the 100 lincoln mig

Kat
    The 135 plus will work with aluminum, but not with a spool gun. The machine isn't built for it. Without going into too much detail, you would need to have the spool gun plug's matching connector on the 135, which Lincoln didn't include back when this machine was built. The 135 doesn't have the gun selector switch either.
    Good news though, Lincoln made an aluminum welding kit for this machine....part # K663-2. If you have trouble finding it, try Lincoln directly via their website. The kit consists of a drive roll, gun liner for aluminum and a contact tip; alum tips are different from steel tips. All you need to add are a cylinder of 100% argon gas, regulator/flowmeter w/hose and .035" alum wire. You'll probably find 4043 more readily available, but 5356 might feed through the cable better as it is a little harder than 4043. Also keep the welding cable as straight as possible, bends in the cable may cause improper wire feeding, read that "birds nests".
    With that you should be good to go. BTW if you don't have the manual for your 135, you can download it from the Lincoln website....click on the support tab, operators manuals, scroll down to your machine and select it. Probably wouldn't hurt to buy either Lincoln's or Miller's MIG welding books.
    Good luck...Smitty